I bought a mono CMOS camera...

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I bought a mono CMOS camera...

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all, hope you're good :D

I'm not sure I am. Well, I am good as in healthy etc, but my decision just now leaves me scratching my head...

For years (about 8) I have resisted AP, with the exception of some Moon shots for the longest time. I used my Canon T3 with my C80-HD for that. Then, back before the 2017 eclipse, I got into solar with the same scope/camera and some Baader 5.0 OD film. Under $500 and I can shoot the Sun? Great!

Of course, things progress. Over the years, I bought some 3.8 OD film, a new camera when my T3 died, 2 Solar Continuum filters (10nm and then 7.5nm), and a UV/IR cut filter to help with those. Recently I decided to try a new "wavelength" and I purchased a Baader Ca-K filter (the new single-stack CMOS enhanced version), and that's when I hit a wall. The images that I tried to stack really didn't turn out well; there's a post about that here.

I have to give a big thank you to @AstroBee for telling me about the Bayer Matrix in colour cameras. Seems I'm losing 50-75% of resolution with the Ca-K filter due to this... I did some research on that, and it would seem my best option is a monochrome camera. As well, I'll be getting into the solar HA game soon, so it's really a must from what I understand. Oh no, here we go....

Thankfully I work too much and also get some nice tips. It would seem the best camera I can get for solar is this, the ZWO ASI174MM, at least in my budget. It was still a bit over $780CDN with tax ($90) and shipping ($17). I also have an Acer laptop I bought a couple of months ago, it's an Aspire Vero AV15-51-58SM. Hopefully it will do the trick.

It's kinda weird though... I used to just literally plug my DSLR into the back of my scope with the remote shutter hooked up, and shoot away. Now? I'm gonna have to use a computer with USB cables, and of course there will be that learning curve with new software... I'm really kidding, it shouldn't be that bad. I'm hoping the efforts for all this are worth it; and I do have to say I'm looking forward to the new toy. Should be here Monday or Tuesday; I got it from Telescopes Canada.

I might have questions in the next few days, so please bear with me as I sort this out :D

And so what am I going to do with my EOS 550D? It still takes a great picture, and I might revisit this curved-rod barn door tracker I made a few years back. It really works well.

BDT.JPG

But that worries me.... I might end up going down the slippery slope I've done with the Sun. One thing seems to lead to another!

Have a good day/night, I must partake in some sleep. Off tomorrow to hook up with a member on here for a stage 2 PST mod.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: I bought a mono CMOS camera...

Post by Solsearcher »

Mark , you should have shopped around , David Astro has them on sale for $539.

https://davidastro.com/products/zwo-asi ... gJwY_D_BwE
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Good luck Mark, after 3 years of not imaging I find I've forgotten all I knew.
Keith
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:24 am But that worries me.... I might end up going down the slippery slope I've done with the Sun. One thing seems to lead to another!

Welcome to the light side Mark!! :D
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Congratulations Mark!

Lots of new stuff to learn! FITS files!
The 174 sounds perfect for solar use.

You will enjoy setting up the new camera and when you get things going, you will be on your way to much better data.

Have fun and take care!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Sorry Mark if I'm the cause of your bank account deficit. :D
But I've got some bad news for you, the AP rabbit hole is deep! But it's oh so fun too.
You're gonna want to get a really good 6'-10' high quality USB3.0 cable and probably a quick SSD drive to record your SER files to.
Doing lunar/solar/planetary imaging you want to shoot in SER video format at the highest frame rate possible. (Lucky Imaging)
The 174 is a great camera and has a fantastic reputation as one of the best for solar imaging.
One of the new challenges you are going to run into is being able to see your laptop screen outside under the bright sunlight so here's what I do and the reason I mentioned the long USB3.0 cable.
1. Set up where the scope is in the open and can see the sun but using the cable from the camera to your laptop, you can sit somewhere in the shade.
2. Find yourself a large cardboard box. One that is large enough for your open laptop to comfortably lay. Place the box with the open end on its side facing you and slide the laptop inside, creating a dark shield for the screen.
3. If you need it even darker, I throw a large dark blanket over the box and drape it over my head to get an even darker view. Think of the old-time large format cameras and the photographer would duck under the black sheet so he could see the focusing plate.
4. Keep your SER video clips to around 30 seconds or less because surface features on the sun change quickly. For my 1600mm that means I can usually only shoot about 1000 frames. I'm guessing with the 174mm you will probably be able to capture up to 2000 frames.
5. In AutoStakkert, learn how to read that graph in the middle of the window. I usually stack about the best 25%. There are tons of YouTube videos out there.
Enjoy and feel free to ask us questions, I'm sure there will be many!
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Going back to the Lowjiber (John) days, it was he that said "Get a ASI174MM-c" (he even offered to loan me his!) I ONLY use it for solar work and it's been a great tool.

Expensive? Yes but so is everything involved with AP and astronomy. I'm fortunate that my CFO (chief financial officer) aka wife, enjoys the hobby also.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:24 am I might end up going down the slippery slope I've done with the Sun. One thing seems to lead to another!
With the "slippery slope" you must either submit or conquer. Which will it be?
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Solsearcher wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:10 am Mark , you should have shopped around , David Astro has them on sale for $539.

https://davidastro.com/products/zwo-asi ... gJwY_D_BwE

Thanks Mike, as well do Telescopes Canada... Seems the pricier one I bought is the newest version. I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow and see if the camera difference warrants the price difference and take it from there.

Tillibobs wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:28 am Good luck Mark, after 3 years of not imaging I find I've forgotten all I knew.
Keith

Thanks Keith, and I'm sure it will come back... Mike could certainly help you there!

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:55 am
Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:24 am But that worries me.... I might end up going down the slippery slope I've done with the Sun. One thing seems to lead to another!

Welcome to the light side Mark!! :D

Thanks Graeme, and I like the positive spin you put on that :D Should be fun to see how it goes!

Juno16 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:55 am Congratulations Mark!

Lots of new stuff to learn! FITS files!
The 174 sounds perfect for solar use.

You will enjoy setting up the new camera and when you get things going, you will be on your way to much better data.

Have fun and take care!

Thanks Jim, Yeah, I've entered a whole new world here.... Shouldn't be that bad though; got some good advice today :D

AstroBee wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:58 pm Sorry Mark if I'm the cause of your bank account deficit. :D
But I've got some bad news for you, the AP rabbit hole is deep! But it's oh so fun too.
You're gonna want to get a really good 6'-10' high quality USB3.0 cable and probably a quick SSD drive to record your SER files to.
Doing lunar/solar/planetary imaging you want to shoot in SER video format at the highest frame rate possible. (Lucky Imaging)
The 174 is a great camera and has a fantastic reputation as one of the best for solar imaging.
One of the new challenges you are going to run into is being able to see your laptop screen outside under the bright sunlight so here's what I do and the reason I mentioned the long USB3.0 cable.
1. Set up where the scope is in the open and can see the sun but using the cable from the camera to your laptop, you can sit somewhere in the shade.
2. Find yourself a large cardboard box. One that is large enough for your open laptop to comfortably lay. Place the box with the open end on its side facing you and slide the laptop inside, creating a dark shield for the screen.
3. If you need it even darker, I throw a large dark blanket over the box and drape it over my head to get an even darker view. Think of the old-time large format cameras and the photographer would duck under the black sheet so he could see the focusing plate.
4. Keep your SER video clips to around 30 seconds or less because surface features on the sun change quickly. For my 1600mm that means I can usually only shoot about 1000 frames. I'm guessing with the 174mm you will probably be able to capture up to 2000 frames.
5. In AutoStakkert, learn how to read that graph in the middle of the window. I usually stack about the best 25%. There are tons of YouTube videos out there.
Enjoy and feel free to ask us questions, I'm sure there will be many!

No worries; I'm glad you put forth the suggestion; I'd forgotten about the whole Bayer-Matrix thing. Thanks too for the advice for using the laptop; I saw that process in action today, even tried it myself :D I see why! As for AS3, thank you for mentioning that... I do the same with my W/L pics and always wondered if I was reading the graph and bars right. Seems I am, yet another thanks for the verification!
As for questions, prepare yourselves... :lol:

Gordon wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:38 pm Going back to the Lowjiber (John) days, it was he that said "Get a ASI174MM-c" (he even offered to loan me his!) I ONLY use it for solar work and it's been a great tool.

Expensive? Yes but so is everything involved with AP and astronomy. I'm fortunate that my CFO (chief financial officer) aka wife, enjoys the hobby also.

I miss John; I have his number somewhere down here, I'd like to know what's up with him... That recommendation probably came a while ago, glad to hear I made a good choice. Lucky you with the CFO, I'm tolerated but I also think my other half is happy I'm doing that instead of wasting money at a bar or the like and not being home. I like to take comfort in thinking she knows her man-child is within calling distance... ;)

JayTee wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:14 pm
Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:24 am I might end up going down the slippery slope I've done with the Sun. One thing seems to lead to another!
With the "slippery slope" you must either submit or conquer. Which will it be?
Good question JT, I'll have to go with a bit of submit (as in I want to up my game) but conquer for sure. I need to know my limits, with this and what's coming I have to, otherwise I'll be doing AP not far from the tent I'll be living in... :lol:

I appreciate the comments everyone, and the offer of support.

And BTW, I finally met a fellow forum member today, first time ever. I had the pleasure of going to see Mike (@Solsearcher) out where he lives. It was about two hours, but traffic leaving was a bit heavy. I rolled into his driveway, and at the end I see a huge mount with two scopes riding on it, Next to that is a painters ladder with a large cardboard box with a piece of fabric covering the top part of what I assumed was Mike.. :lol: Yup, I was right!

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about all this. Long hair, a few tattoos; wasn't too sure how he'd take me. I needn't have worried; I think I've finally met someone even more laid back than me!

I got there at one and left at about 4:30. I had my first experience with actually using an HA scope, meaning I was allowed to play with the focuser and etalons. Wow!!! Unreal what I saw... Tuning the first etalon took the Sun from a bland disk to sunspots (similar to what I see in W/L), then the faculae and magnetic regions around the spots (kinda like CaK) and then the proms. I've never actually seen a prom before; it was on the left side of the disk and quite big. I'll never forget that moment ever! Even more tuning brought out smaller proms, and then I played with the second etalon... I've got my head in a cardboard box, staring at a laptop screen and hoping I don't break anything, still it was a great time!

After that Mike showed me around with his scopes (his 150mm is a monster) and we went and had a look at the scope he's building me. I couldn't be happier :D The donor scope (102 XLT at 8.9) is the old blue ones and mint shape. It's now got a PST etalon on the back with an adjustable PVS mount for it hooked into an Antares 2 speed crayford. This man knows what he's doing, believe me. I can build things, but Mike is a craftsman for sure. And I finally know what his avatar is... I won't tell you what it is (I don't feel it's my place to do that), but again another Wow!

A man of many interests and I was fascinated and had a great time. Got my face washed by the dog a few times too! I was sad to go, but I don't want to be a burden and I had the drive home.... I left him with my 90mm Baader ERF that I bought and he's going to make a cell for it to put into the dewshield. Should be interesting to see how the Baader ERF compares to a Lunt.

What a great day! Mike is the nicest guy for sure and knows what he's doing. And thanks to him, I'm going to have a nice 90mm HA single-stack scope for $1900CDN (~$1450USD). Can't beat that! OK, it's only going to have the PST 5mm blocking filter at the moment, but a 15 is possible now, thanks to the focuser he put in instead of the PST part. Set up for a Stage 2 mod, now all I need is the $$$....

Thanks again Mike and everyone else. Should be an interesting summer!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

the human spirit is resilient, I have no doubts about your perseverance and that you will find pleasure in this new adventure.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Thank you for the kind words Mark , you will be on to this in no time at all . I have shared my biggest secret with you now , it's the cardboard box I hide my head in :lol:
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Would you like a helmet as you fall down that rabbit hole? Roots can be hard on the cranium.
Have fun my friend :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

As you say, Mike is a laid back super guy, his wife is laid back too. I had the pleasure of meeting them in London, we went into a Pub for lunch and came out hours later, we were so busy talking we forgot lunch.
Keith
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

It looks like the price of solar filters is about 4x the price of your camera. It's not like you can get a standard DSO Ha filter because that mount type near the focal point would burn up. Ideally it is a front mounted filter.

Adding a simple tracking motor to your CG4 would be good. It doesn't have to be perfect since you image at high speed but it will help with setting things up. You will need a computer with at least USB3. I am no solar expert but this much I can tell. Good luck with your project!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks again for the comments all, @Tillibobs you couldn't be more right!

@SkyHiker Henk, quite right on all counts. I did get a 90mm Baader ERF and there's a PST etalon between that and the blocking filter on the diagonal. As for the mount that's still a WIP, and my soon to be coming camera will work well with the USB3.1 on my laptop. Now all I need to do is make the cardboard box for it... :lol:
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, it arrived :D No point in trying it out today, these were my skies at just after 7AM; thankfully it's supposed to rain soon. Hopefully for a while, might drown out the fires.

Sun.jpg

FedEx showed up just after I got in at 2PM. There's some "undeliverable" stickers on it for the past two days. I'm sorry I got in at 4 for the past two days.... :lol:

Image01.jpg

Like a kid at Christmas I was. I've thought about this for years now, but never had an adequate laptop to run it, and I'm not dragging out my desktop! Now I do have a laptop with USB 3.1.

Image02.jpg

They always thank me for everything I buy (not the first time, more like the fifth) and include a Telescopes Canada sticker; tattoos for your scope. Anyone want one of these? PM me and I'll mail you one, first come first served :D

Image03.jpg

The camera came with a 2 meter (6 ft) USB 3.0 cable, an ST4 cable (???), a 1.25" nosepiece and dust cover, as well as a manual and the camera to boot:

Image04.jpg

Sweet. I also have the required box for my laptop; need to cut ol' Sol's glare:

box.jpg

@Solsearcher Mike, if you're reading this, I'm hoping for Saturday. I'd like to bring all this (camera, laptop and box with the new scope) and give it all a run on your mount. I still have to get amount together for me. I'll send you a PM tomorrow regardless and we'll figure it out.

Honestly, I looked at the camera and thought, "Oh no Mark, what have you done??" So approaches the rabbit hole...

Now I'm all set up for three wavelengths on the Sun; white light, Calcium-K and Hydrogen-Alpha. I'm really looking forward to all this. OK, I need a motorized mount, but that is still a WIP and will happen soon.

6PM here, the father-unit needs to start dinner :)

Thanks for all the comments/support, and have a good day/night all!
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Hey Mark , Sure bring it all , my laptop is limited to USB 2 . In the mean time load your software , plug it in and become familiar with the control panel
Also take Gordons suggestion and download the earlier version of Sharpcap if the version you have does not have gamma control , this can be a handy option .
You do realize you are tempting the clouds :lol:

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Solsearcher wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:10 am Hey Mark , Sure bring it all , my laptop is limited to USB 2 . In the mean time load your software , plug it in and become familiar with the control panel
Also take Gordons suggestion and download the earlier version of Sharpcap if the version you have does not have gamma control , this can be a handy option .
Doesn't the gamma control only affect the on-screen display? I thought I read that somewhere in the past.
I've never bothered adjusting the gamma because of this thought.
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

AstroBee wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:16 am
Solsearcher wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:10 am Hey Mark , Sure bring it all , my laptop is limited to USB 2 . In the mean time load your software , plug it in and become familiar with the control panel
Doesn't the gamma control only affect the on-screen display? I thought I read that somewhere in the past.
Not sure about your camera but on my DMK's (CCD with true global shutter) the gamma affects the capture in the same way it affects the live view .
I should add that I am using the IC capture software that Imaging Source supplied which has gamma control . Sharp cap will connect my DMK's but no Gamma control available in my version .
Last edited by Solsearcher on Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Solsearcher wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:39 am
AstroBee wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:16 am
Not sure about your camera but on my DMK's (CCD with true global shutter) The gamma affects the capture in the same way it affects the live view .
I'll have to experiment the next time I set my rig up.