Starting focus for SGP session: ideas?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Starting focus for SGP session: ideas?

Post by KathyNS »

I know that SGP's auto-focus routine needs you to be fairly close to focus before it can begin. How do people arrange this on an unattended session?

In the old days, I used to to a manual Bahtinov mask focus. But I don't want to do that, especially when we get into the colder months. I'd rather run 100% unattended.

I thought that leaving the focus where it was at the end of the last session would be close enough, in spite of the temperature change during a session. However, a Crawford can slip, and apparently mine did since the last session. I happened to be monitoring the start of the session, so I noticed that the platesolve for the target failed. When I checked the platesolve image, I realized that it was badly out of focus. I was able to get it close to focus manually, and resume the sequence.

So my question is how do others ensure that the session is starting with the camera close to focus? My options seem to be:-

1. Go out to the observatory after dark and use a Bahtinov mask. I'd rather make just one trip out there, in daylight, to remove the covers, and then do the rest remotely. A Bahtinov mask focus seems to be unnecessary, based on last night's results.

2. Monitor the start of the session remotely. Do a manual focus to get it close. This precludes a delayed start. If the sky is forecast to clear at 3:00 am, I don't want to have to be awake for that.

3. Use the focuser lock when I install the covers after the end of a session. That should prevent slipping between sessions. I just have to remember to unlock it when I get set for the next one.

4. Bite the bullet (another one!) and replace the Crayford focuser with a rack-and-pinion that won't slip.

Any other ideas?
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Starting focus for SGP session: ideas?

Post by Star Dad »

Hi Kathy - My Crawford has a screw you can lock it in place with. I take a picture (5 seconds usually) and manually focus the scope/camera. I use Nebulosity and I try to get the focus as tight as possible on 100% zoom. It usually takes me about 5-10 tries to get it as tight as possible. I have to take down my entire scope/mount and set up each session, but if I haven't done any visual with it, it is usually spot on next imaging session. I don't have an auto-focuser, though I've been thinking of getting one... but then I've gotten really good at manually focusing. I just can't get complacent about doing a good focus - I screwed up my last imaging session by forgetting to get a tight focus. I got beautiful donuts on my first set of images before I noticed them. Murphy won that night!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Thanks, Star Dad. I am good at manual focusing, too, but I am trying to get away from that. I want to be warm and asleep when running an AP session.

I am leaning towards option 3, using the focuser lock between sessions, as the most practical solution for now. I just have to remember to unlock it before the next session. You can't use the lock with auto-focus.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

If you have a computer in your observatory and a computer in the house you could always use remote desktop and dial in the focus before you go to bed. I run my entire setups this way. Plus it's a good way to keep an eye on things as it's progressing.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

That's pretty much what I did last night. I guess that will work most of the year, if it's not cloudy when I do that. My last session was a treat, because I scheduled it to start at 3 am after the clouds had cleared. I don't want to have to get up to focus in that case. And It means staying up late in June. :(
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

With mine I have noted a 'focal point' by number (example 2456 steps) based on the filter I'm using. If I go back to that count it gets me really close as long as I haven't messed with the focuser 'manually'. I'm using a stepper motor drive with a coupler to automate the focusing.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

With the slippage in my focuser, I can't use the step count. I had been working around 18000 steps in previous sessions. I had to reduce it to about 14000 to get it focused last night. That is 4000 steps that the stepper motor didn't know about, so definitely mechanical slippage.

What I can use is the focuser scale. I know that the in-focus position is about 39.7mm on the scale. So I can check that when I go out in the evening to turn on power and remove the covers. If it's cloud-free before bedtime, I can do a manual focus to get it closer.

Until I can replace the focuser.
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I had the same problem and changed to a rack and pinion. No more slippage! With the weight of the camera / filter setup it was just too much weight for the crayford type. I have just a touch of backlash but can compensate for it enough so it pretty much negates the problem.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I think the problems with my starting focus could have been from having the Crayford tension too loose. There is only about 1/4 turn between super-tight and too loose. If it's anywhere close to loose, it can slip catastrophically with no warning and no apparent cause. I have been experimenting with the tension lately, so I might have left it on the loose side.

But cranked super-tight, it still works well manually, moving the focuser with no apparent slippage. The motor can drive it when it is tight - sometimes. Where I am finding slippage when it is tight is not in the Crayford mechanism, but between the motor's drive gear and the focuser shaft. The gear is a friction fit onto the left-hand knob of the focuser, and that friction fit is what is slipping. The gear turns but the knob doesn't. I may have to slip some glue into the joint to prevent slippage. With glue to prevent the gear slipping and the Crawford tightened to prevent focuser slippage, it might work.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

KathyNS wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:37 pm I know that SGP's auto-focus routine needs you to be fairly close to focus before it can begin. How do people arrange this on an unattended session?

In the old days, I used to to a manual Bahtinov mask focus. But I don't want to do that, especially when we get into the colder months. I'd rather run 100% unattended.

I thought that leaving the focus where it was at the end of the last session would be close enough, in spite of the temperature change during a session. However, a Crawford can slip, and apparently mine did since the last session. I happened to be monitoring the start of the session, so I noticed that the platesolve for the target failed. When I checked the platesolve image, I realized that it was badly out of focus. I was able to get it close to focus manually, and resume the sequence.

So my question is how do others ensure that the session is starting with the camera close to focus? My options seem to be:-

1. Go out to the observatory after dark and use a Bahtinov mask. I'd rather make just one trip out there, in daylight, to remove the covers, and then do the rest remotely. A Bahtinov mask focus seems to be unnecessary, based on last night's results.

2. Monitor the start of the session remotely. Do a manual focus to get it close. This precludes a delayed start. If the sky is forecast to clear at 3:00 am, I don't want to have to be awake for that.

3. Use the focuser lock when I install the covers after the end of a session. That should prevent slipping between sessions. I just have to remember to unlock it when I get set for the next one.

4. Bite the bullet (another one!) and replace the Crayford focuser with a rack-and-pinion that won't slip.

Any other ideas?
number 4! highly recommend a quality focuser for automation

The different temperatures on different nights outside on the optics is enough to shift the focus position way out to a point where sgp takes so long to focus or just fails, depending on what scope and how fast it is of course . ( I auto re focus every 0.5 - 0.75 deg drop and it can drop for 16 deg at night to 6 deg here)

i find that i have to at least manually focus 1 filter before each season then let it run auto for the rest of the night, sgp has a setting that will shift all the filters values over together , say move every filter over 100 position on the focuser together .

anything that's not a donut defocused star sgp will auto focus,it's impractical to use a bahtinov ,frame and focus should give a star profile report which is good enough to start a auto focus routine .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

KathyNS wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 pm The gear is a friction fit onto the left-hand knob of the focuser, and that friction fit is what is slipping. The gear turns but the knob doesn't. I may have to slip some glue into the joint to prevent slippage. With glue to prevent the gear slipping and the Crawford tightened to prevent focuser slippage, it might work.
This is what i did for my sct for planetary work on my rigel n step and works a charm!
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .