Thinking of getting one of those multi band nb filters.

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Thinking of getting one of those multi band nb filters.

Post by UlteriorModem »

Been thinking about getting one of those multi channel narrow band filters.

They sure are pricey!

Anyhow I seem to remember there really only good on emission nebula. Not so good for things like Spiral Galaxys.

You guys have any thoughts, input on this?

TIA
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Thinking of getting one of those multi band nb filters.

Post by UlteriorModem »

Hrm no one has any input on this?

Im literally hovering over the 'buy now' button but hesitating.
Tom

Current Equipment:
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

which model do you want and from which company .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Looking at the OPT triad 4 channel.
Tom

Current Equipment:
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Tom, have you looked on Astrobin and done a search for equipment that uses that filter? It may give you an idea of what is possible.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

JayTee wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:05 pm Tom, have you looked on Astrobin and done a search for equipment that uses that filter? It may give you an idea of what is possible.
No but that is a good idea.

But what I am finding is the fact that a dirty little secret is that these filers are really only good for emission nebula. None of the reviews, overviews, or specifications mention this. I suppose it 'should' be common knowledge but still think it should be mentioned before someone plonks down a thousand bucks on a 2" piece of glass!
Tom

Current Equipment:
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

UlteriorModem wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:24 pm
JayTee wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:05 pm Tom, have you looked on Astrobin and done a search for equipment that uses that filter? It may give you an idea of what is possible.
No but that is a good idea.

But what I am finding is the fact that a dirty little secret is that these filers are really only good for emission nebula. None of the reviews, overviews, or specifications mention this. I suppose it 'should' be common knowledge but still think it should be mentioned before someone plonks down a thousand bucks on a 2" piece of glass!
Yea sinking over $1K into it suggests an alternative, going mono because it gives more flexibility and it also lets you do LRGB. In my limited experience this works quite well with better resolution also in RGB (others please chime in). Once the rig is built up, operation is easier than one would think. Procesing is a bit extra work in stacking but nothing horrible. Alternatively the duo band L-enhance is not nearly that expensive, and can be quite OK if you combine it with RGB stars. Taking the filter on and off is a pain though, this is again where a mono system is easier. Something to think about?
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Ive done mono, have a filter wheel(s) and cameras etc. to do so. Even invested in narrowband filters...

But in my current location with a limited field of view and seemingly only getting one clear night every couple of weeks or so makes it next to impossible to gain sufficient data on a target in time before it gets into the trees again.

I was actually thinking about when I used to do NB mono and how I could get two or three nights in a row. It seems like those days are passed.

Maybe figure out how to get the filterwheel into the current setup and use it to swap between UV/IR and Multichannel NB. But backfocus with the field flattener will be a real issue.
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Oh yea forgot to mention I ordered a new Baader UV/IR cut filter after finding out the ZWO that I had is not so great. In that it has horrible internal reflections.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I have the L-enHance filter - OIII and Ha bands. It's supposed to be really good for "anything" in as much as it cuts out significant amounts of light pollution. I haven't gotten to use it a lot. But - Objects that are blue turn yellow and red becomes green. Well, that's what happens when using Star Tools. I know when I see the images in real time they look good - that is red is red. So maybe I'm doing something wrong in StarTools. I have not actually tried using it on non-nebular objects per se. But let me add that stars in my images that are not part of the nebula look greenish (when processed). And finally, the nebula do really pop out - even if they are the "wrong" color". Unfortunately we don't get but 1 or 2 clear nights a month. The L-Enhance, BTW was about $250. Take this in the "for what it's worth department".
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Might want to try different Bayer matrix's ;) Or at least double check what your is set too.

Color shift is not really a big concern for me as it can be dealt with in PixInsight.
Tom

Current Equipment: