I done did it! Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, astro modified Canon 6D is on it's way!

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I done did it! Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, astro modified Canon 6D is on it's way!

Post by chris_g »

Hello all,

Night Sky Camera does it again! I just purchased a Canon 6D full frame Ha modified for $742 including shipping. This will complete my camera acquisition for the foreseeable future. I may get an inexpensive monochrome camera to work with but not any time soon. I know some may think I have G.A.S., Gear Acquisition Syndrome as I've only produced a couple of images so far; and they'd probably be right. I've been out three times since my last image. Two times were a bust due to issues and the last time was a marathon three-night session that I haven't had the time to process yet due to the holidays. This camera fits in with a future OTA that I am planning on getting and a full frame OSC is four times the cost, even used. It ships Monday. I want to thank Henk, @SkyHiker, for turning me onto the 6D in the first place. My plans are currently for the Radian Raptor and a light weight goto mount. Perhaps an Ioptron GEM/CEM 28 or an Advanced VX, and a C9.25 to ride on my EQ6-R. And that would complete the OTA/mount acquisition for the foreseeable future as well. Twice the cameras, twice the fun!

Clear Skies and well wishes to all the Sky Searchers in the new year!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: I done did it! Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, astro modified Canon 6D is on it's way!

Post by Juno16 »

Congratulations Chris!

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

Looking forward to your processing of the three night session!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: I done did it! Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, astro modified Canon 6D is on it's way!

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:44 am Congratulations Chris!

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

Looking forward to your processing of the three night session!
Yeah it was fun, it was one target for a total of 15.75 hours. I learned new techniques with APT, framing masks, aiming and the daunting, meridian flip. The first night, I crashed the camera because I wasn't paying attention. I recovered well though and continued imaging. The next night the automated flip failed, couldn't platesolve. Been arguing with APT randomly with that since I got the L-eNhance. NINA would solve with ASTAP and ASPS would blind solve but APT failed with ASTAP. Finally figured it out, had to increase the ISO and exposure for the L-eNhance filter to solve with APT. Weird though that both NINA and ASPS would solve at the lower settings. I'm thinking it's probably something to do with the way APT converts the raw file to JPG. Either way it works now and I learned how to do the flip manually and restart imaging.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours too!
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Enjoy!
I love my (stock) 6D, too.

After many years and much improvement of my technique, it still has more capability that I haven't reached yet.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Nice Chris, now make sure you get a scope with a large flat field to take full advantage of the 6D. It should work very well based on some images I have seen on the AF way back. The RR appears to have a large flat field so it should be a good fit.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:34 pm Nice Chris, now make sure you get a scope with a large flat field to take full advantage of the 6D. It should work very well based on some images I have seen on the AF way back. The RR appears to have a large flat field so it should be a good fit.
I was looking at the WO Zenith Star as well as the Radian. Both are supposed fully illuminate the full frame sensor, I opted to be patient and wait for the Radian since it's a triplet and the Zenith Star is a doublet, and both will end up costing about the same once the Zenith Star is accessorized with its field flattener and having to add the additional gear the Radian already comes with. These cloudy nights for the last month or so have led to some serious research time.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Congratulations!

That's the first time I have seen that vendor, nice 👍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

The 6D arrived today and I cannot stress enough the quality of the camera. It only has about 6400 shutter clicks on it. Other than a couple of scuff marks where it had been mounted to a tripod the camera is pristine. This camera was rated "Very Good" by Deep Sky Camera. I asked what the difference was between "Very Good" and "Excellent" and this is the response I got.

"We could rate some cameras as new but we try to avoid doing so. So typically 'excellent' means 'like new' and 'very good' means 'excellent'. "

I worked with Max through email for both cameras that I purchased from them and he was extremely helpful and emails were within a couple of hours at most, more like a couple of minutes. His response afterward was just as fast and informative when I asked a question about the 550D I had purchased. All in all an excellent customer experience.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

chris_g wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:25 pm Evey where I looked, the other companies wanted $400 plus to modify a camera you send them.
I used LifePixel, they charged $275 and they still do, from quickly browsing their services.

Congratulations with your 6D, it sounds awesome!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images