To Astro mod a DSLR Or Not?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: To Astro mod a DSLR Or Not?

Post by Juno16 »

I can’t thank everyone enough for all of your valuable input!

We all have Astronomy/Astrophotography in common, but we all have different goals and budgets. Unfortunately, my current retirement budget does restrict my astro purchases. I know, AP isn’t the best fit for a tight budget!

When I retired, I planned to try Astrophotography with a modest setup. I knew then that I would have to try to keep costs down and just see what I could do with what I had.

I think that I will stick with my unmodded dslr for now. I will probably have it modified in the future though. I am fortunate to have another dslr to use for daytime photography. Lifepixel has a one year warranty on their conversion service.

A dedicated Astro cam like a asi294 would be phenomenal, but if I do come by a grand to apply to my hobby, it will more than likely go toward a mount upgrade.

Thanks you all,

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
thechinmaster
Earth Ambassador

Post by thechinmaster »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for asking the same question I wanted an answer for.

Also, you sound like a bloody nice bloke, refreshing to read well written posts, with such nice manners.

Just thought I’d say!

Thanks

Jon
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Jon!

Thanks for your kind words!

Well, I did decide to go for the H-aloha mod for the dslr. It is due to arrive on this coming Thursday.

I am really excited to give it a try. I will post my results and impressions.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Good luck on the mod, Jim. I'm sure it will open up new possibilities for you!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

All right! The nice thing about a DSLR is that you don't need a computer to continually upload images to.

For your scope the AVX should be sufficient. I bought a G11 but due to the heavier weight I am much less tempted to drag it outside than the AVX, let alone take it to star parties. So there's a downside to upgrading unless you have a permanent setup. I'm going to leave my G11 out on the driveway, I just put a hook in the pavers to lock it on to - the only way in which I can actually benefit from the much bigger mount.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:55 pm All right! The nice thing about a DSLR is that you don't need a computer to continually upload images to.

For your scope the AVX should be sufficient. I bought a G11 but due to the heavier weight I am much less tempted to drag it outside than the AVX, let alone take it to star parties. So there's a downside to upgrading unless you have a permanent setup. I'm going to leave my G11 out on the driveway, I just put a hook in the pavers to lock it on to - the only way in which I can actually benefit from the much bigger mount.
Got you there Henk. The AVX has its challenges, but it is fairly light and easy to move inside and outside. Even though the PhD rms error isn’t great, it seems to be good enough (for me).

Seems like the camera has been gone for months. I was trying to keep costs down, so I didn’t expedite anything. Looks like it will be 17 total days for UPS ground and Lifepixel did the mod in a quick 4 days!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim