How do you frame the image when using an OAG?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

How do you frame the image when using an OAG?

Post by SkyHiker »

I have an ASI2600 with an OAG. I believe the ASI2600 has some rotation mechanism. Because of the OAG I cannot simply rotate the sensor to frame the object. Namely, the OAG prism must be along the long side of the sensor, either top or bottom. Rotating the OAG along with the sensor does not work either because it is already difficult enough to align them certainly when there's a filter wheel in between.

So the only option seems to loosen the focuser knobs and rotate the entire optical rig in the focuser tube. But then you have to re-focus again. Not a huge deal but is there some easier way that I missed? Thanks
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How do you frame the image when using an OAG?

Post by dcrowson »

I see the largest scope you have in your sig is a 12" RC. I have the Astro-Tech model. I've been imaging with a similar-sized chip camera (STF-8300M) with an OAG for around 5-6 years now. I can really count on one hand how many objects I've tried to image where I didn't have a guide star. Most of the time, I can just move the object a bit to find one. I do use a PMX mount so I tend to take 9-10 second guide exposures. Using my refractor, I've never run into an issue in the almost 10 years I've been using it with an OAG.

Only other option would be a rotator.

Dan