guide scope and camera recommendation

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
alexd106
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

guide scope and camera recommendation

Post by alexd106 »

Hi all

I currently have a sykwatcher equinox 80 ED on a EQ5 mount. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good guide scope and camera for this scope? I was thinking of a ZWO mini guide scope with a ZWO ASI120MM or if my budget can stretch to it a skywatcher Evoguide 50ED. I was hoping to use the guide scope with PHD2.

Thanks
Alex
Scopes: SW Esprit 100ED, Equinox 80 ED and SW Evoguide 50ED
Mount: SW EQ6-R PRO, EQ5 pro
Cameras: ZWO asi290MC pro and asi120MM mini
Other stuff: ZWO EAF
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: guide scope and camera recommendation

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Alex,

Hopefully someone with more experience will share their knowledge.

In my limited 3 years of imaging, I have used one guide camera and two guide scopes.

My first and only guide camera is an Orion Star Shoot Autoguider. I bought it as a package with the Orion 50mm guide scope (the Magnificent Mini package). The Orion 50mm guide scope was a breeze to focus (helical focuser). I focused it once 3 years ago.

I recently purchased an ZWO 30mm mini guide scope that works fine, but I found it a pia to focus. I use PHD to focus and when turning the ZWO barrel to focus, the star that I was measuring HFD moved around so much that I found it very troublesome to keep tracking it down to measure HFD.

The Orion Star Shoot Autoguider has been great. I leave the guide scopes mounted on two different scopes and I swap it out the camera as needed.

I have heard a lot of good things about the ASI 120MM and wouldn’t hesitate to buy one (and probably will soon.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I’ve used the ZWO mini guide scope and the ASI120mm for a while now and they work great!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

alexd106
Earth Ambassador

Post by alexd106 »

Thanks for your comments Jim and Gordon. I have read that the ZWO can be difficult to focus but its light weight and price make it quite attractive. I am also considering the Evoguide 50ED but it costs quite a bit more and I am concerned my EQ5 might not like the extra weight. On the other hand, the evoguide seems to be quite a competent wide field scope in its own right.
Cheers
alex
Scopes: SW Esprit 100ED, Equinox 80 ED and SW Evoguide 50ED
Mount: SW EQ6-R PRO, EQ5 pro
Cameras: ZWO asi290MC pro and asi120MM mini
Other stuff: ZWO EAF
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

alexd106 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:05 pm Thanks for your comments Jim and Gordon. I have read that the ZWO can be difficult to focus but its light weight and price make it quite attractive. I am also considering the Evoguide 50ED but it costs quite a bit more and I am concerned my EQ5 might not like the extra weight. On the other hand, the evoguide seems to be quite a competent wide field scope in its own right.
Cheers
alex
Keep in mind a guider doesn't need to be perfectly focused, close is good enough (in fact even better!).

It takes a bit to get it where you want it but once you have the locking ring keeps it in the same spot.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Just FYI I've been using the Orion Magnificent Mini Autoguider package (guide camera and scope and scope mount) for several years now and it works fine for me.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:12 am Orion Magnificent Mini Autoguider package
+1
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

You didn't mention which imaging camera you are going to be using. If you are using a different ZWO camera I would shy away from using a ZWO camera as your guidescope. I've had nothing but trouble with PHD2 wanting to connect my main imaging camera as the guide camera and the other way around.
At this point the only solution I've found is to keep my 2600mm unplugged until PHD2 launches and connects to the 290mm camera. Then plug the 2600mm in and connect it as the imaging source.
If anyone else has a solution to solve that issue I'm all ears.
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

I use the Orion 60mm multi purpose guide scope with the 120mm with PHD2. The 120mm is a breeze to focus using APT as an imaging camera. I've found that trying to focus with PHD2 is a royal PIA!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

AstroBee wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:51 am You didn't mention which imaging camera you are going to be using. If you are using a different ZWO camera I would shy away from using a ZWO camera as your guidescope. I've had nothing but trouble with PHD2 wanting to connect my main imaging camera as the guide camera and the other way around.
At this point the only solution I've found is to keep my 2600mm unplugged until PHD2 launches and connects to the 290mm camera. Then plug the 2600mm in and connect it as the imaging source.
What imaging software?

I don't set 'automatically' connect in either NINA or Sharpcap, and haven't had any problems with either.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Gordon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:14 pm
AstroBee wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:51 am You didn't mention which imaging camera you are going to be using. If you are using a different ZWO camera I would shy away from using a ZWO camera as your guidescope. I've had nothing but trouble with PHD2 wanting to connect my main imaging camera as the guide camera and the other way around.
What imaging software?

I don't set 'automatically' connect in either NINA or Sharpcap, and haven't had any problems with either.
@Gordon ,

I use both SharpCap and NINA. If I have everything USB connected via my Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox V2 then what happens is I launch PHD2 first and when it goes to connect it tries to connect to my 2600mm. I have to go into the PAUPB and disable the USB port my 2600mm is connected to first, then launch PHD2, connect the 290mm, then turn the USB port for the 2600mm back on and everything connects as usual.
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

@AstroBee Have you created the equipment profile on PHD2? See page 7 in the manual. That should determine the correct camera PHD2 requires.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Gordon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:47 pm @AstroBee Have you created the equipment profile on PHD2? See page 7 in the manual. That should determine the correct camera PHD2 requires.
I have, and yet it still seems to want to connect to the 2600 instead. I'm set up in my backyard for a bit of tinkering. I'll go into PHD and make sure there is no profile that looks at the 2600 and try again.