Slew, Sync and Frame - Am I doing something wrong?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Slew, Sync and Frame - Am I doing something wrong?

Post by chris_g »

Ok, what's wrong here or what am I not understanding. After I polar align, I'm using NINA TPPA because I can't see Polaris, I then do a star alignment on Altair with SynScan, then slew to Aldebaran, plate solve and sync then slew to Aldebaran again, Aldebaran is not centered in the FOV. I center Aldebaran in the field of view, plate solve and sync again, Stellarium is no longer pointing at Aldebaran. It's close but not quite there. Below are shots of the process. The targets are always up and to the right in the image, not that up and right mean anything in celestial coordinates. I'm always imaging to the east and north east since west and south west are toast to me. What I can't account for is when I center the target then sync the mount again the view shifts in Stellarium. It doesn't matter what database I use to slew to the target initially, the results are the same, so that tells me it's not Stellarium or SynScan.

I get good results with long exposure and guiding. If I haven't I've found the reason else where. So is this normal and there something I am not understanding about the coordinate system being used or is there something wrong with my polar alignment or perhaps something else? Thoughts, comments, and laughs at the newbie, all are welcome! :lol:

Slew to Aldebaran in Stellarium
Stell-Aldeb-EQ6-R-Slew.jpg
APT Image after slew
APT-Slew-Aldeb.jpg
APT Image after framing Aldebaran in center of FOV
APT-Frame-Aldeb.jpg
Stellarium telescope position after framing
Stell-Aldeb-EQ6-After Frame.jpg
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Slew, Sync and Frame - Am I doing something wrong?

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hello Chris

Just a thought, I haven't got APT on this machine. Are you using RA/Dec J2000 in Stellarium and RA/Dec On Date in APT (or vice versa).

Also, once you have your target plate solved what is the reason for re-slewing to it?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

+1 for the possible different coordinate systems. APT uses J2000, but will convert data it sends to planetarium programs to JNow. The button that controls the function is located on the "Gear" tab and is labelled "JNow". If it is selected, it will do the conversion, if not selected it will send J200 coordinates to the other program.

I use Cartes du Ciel as the planetarium program. I was able to get APT and CdC to play nicely together by setting CdC to use J2000 and by deselecting the "JNow" button in APT.

Hope this helps more than it confuses!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

bobharmony wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:54 am +1 for the possible different coordinate systems. APT uses J2000, but will convert data it sends to planetarium programs to JNow. The button that controls the function is located on the "Gear" tab and is labelled "JNow". If it is selected, it will do the conversion, if not selected it will send J200 coordinates to the other program.

I use Cartes du Ciel as the planetarium program. I was able to get APT and CdC to play nicely together by setting CdC to use J2000 and by deselecting the "JNow" button in APT.

Hope this helps more than it confuses!

Bob
Yes it did help.

I plate solve using ASTAP in APT and ASPS stand alone for blind solve. Stellarium's telescope plugin, ASPS, and APT are all set to J2000. After some research, thanks to your nudge, I believe I understand what's happening. Everything should be using JNow since J2000 are the RA/Dec coordinates in the year 2000 and if I synced to that it would explain what I'm seeing.

Thank you.
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:53 am Hello Chris

Just a thought, I haven't got APT on this machine. Are you using RA/Dec J2000 in Stellarium and RA/Dec On Date in APT (or vice versa).

Also, once you have your target plate solved what is the reason for re-slewing to it?

Regards

Graeme
I've been re-slewing after sync to check and see if the target was still centered after centering, it never was. Now I understand why. Thank you.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Orthogonality could be your problem too...

But still, don't re-slew after you plate-solve. Re-slewing is basically telling the scope to go back to where it was before the plate-solve & re-center.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com