Problem night

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Ken_nneth Norway
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Problem night

Post by Ken_nneth »

What a night. Finally got an evening with clear skies, set my new scope (TS-Optics 70 mm f/5 Quadruplet) on the mount (iOptron CEM60) attached all the cables and balanced close to perfection. Powered up my new mini PC and started SGP. Ran an autofocus (Sesto Senso) and polar aligned (PoleMaster). Did a couple of plate solves to check scope/camera settings, all good. Decided to slew to Deneb to adjust my guide scope and it all went crazy. The mount slew to somewhere in the north instead of south as I had expected. A lot of plate solving, on and off, resetting, try and try again but no matter what I did the result was always the same. Changed to N.I.N.A., plate solved slewed, and the same result. After 5-6 hours I decided to give up and took everything down. This morning with a clear mind, although tired, I checked the mount. Turned it on grabbed the hand controller and my eye glanced to the bottom of the display and saw the date, 2013.10.04. It seems the battery was really almost dead and all my original setting were gone. So if unexplainable thing happen check hardware as well as software.
Kenneth
[media][/size][/media]Kenneth
https://www.astrobin.com/users/Ken_nneth/

ZWO SEESTAR S50
PixInsight
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Problem night

Post by JayTee »

Sorry that happened. It has plagued all of us at some point. Hopefully you only need to learn it once.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Wow Kenneth! What a frustrating night!

Glad that you found the issue and it was such an easy fix, but wow!

Thanks for sharing. Maybe your experience will help one of us one day.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

This is one of those things we all experience in one way or another - battery dead, or bahtinov mask left on for the entire imaging run, or forgetting to uncap the scope after collecting darks. Hopefully someone will read this and check theirs out, and you won't be plagued by this gremlin again!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Kenneth - You are a bulldog! 5 or 6 hours! I'm impressed. I've done the same thing but gave up after only about 1/2 hour in frustration. I've also imaged with the Bahtinov Mask left on. Once I forgot to put on the counter weight for a new mount! I must have completely forgotten to balance the mount! Forgotten to plug in the Dew Heaters, ....

Welcome to the club :text-welcomewave: :occasion-balloons:

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Ah, I share this feeling. I spent several hours trying to get CFM working in Windows 11, only to find that the handset was not corrupted. Yep, my battery was too low, in the end I plugged the mount into a power supply and lo and behold - all was fine.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447