PoleMaster Anomaly?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

PoleMaster Anomaly?

Post by fatboy1271 »

When using the PoleMaster I get a near perfect green box/red box alignment. If I don't slew it sits still and looks like I'll have a great night of imaging. However... as I go through my Alignment routine if I switch over to the PM software I'll notice that one of the boxes, green I believe, is flying all over the place!

So two nights ago I decided to watch the PM software during the slew from East to West as it was going past the North Celestial Pole. As it got closer to the NCP the boxes got tighter. As it was passing right by the NCP it went back to being "perfect." Then as it continued to slew to the West it started moving more and more until it was back to just flying around the screen?!?!
  • Anyone have any PM experience like this?
  • Even better, anyone know how to fix it?
  • Could it be my AVX?
  • I've been checking the balance during setup but maybe that?
Because of the severe LA light pollution I'm not looking to take subs longer than 600s, if that. I guess my point is that while having perfect PA would be awesome, it's not completely necessary. In the past I have achieved nice round stars at 600s using only the PM PA routine so I'm confused and frankly quite sad about it all.

Thanks,
fat
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: PoleMaster Anomaly?

Post by fatboy1271 »

The QHYCCD Forum has this question and answer: https://www.qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5692.0

I hate Bookface and the video is poorly shot; however, it looks like it might be my answer. I hope to get out again this week and try it!

Polemaster question
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:56:16 am »

Hello everyone,
I have a question on my Polemaster.
When I have the mount (Skywatcher AZ-EQ5) in the home position I can start the monitor and align the red/green circles so that they are stable and lie on top of each other, but when I slew to a target the red and green are jumping around all over the place relative to each other. Given that the Polemaster is always pointing in the same direction why does this happen?
Many thanks for your help,
Neil.

Hello Neil,

Please look at this video:

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!