Nikon D5300/Astrophotography Tools First Light

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Nikon D5300/Astrophotography Tools First Light

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Everyone,

After a couple of tests under lousy skies using APT and the new (used) D5300, I finally tried to image something. Well, all of my sky apps told me that the skies would be full of clouds. I thought that since a cool front had just passed (yes, a cool front in July!), I was overly hopeful for nice skies and set my sights on M16. I had not used APT or my D5300 to image anythind yet and had to try!

Well, it turns out that the apps were spot on. I did manage to PA with Sharpcap (even with some clouds). I wanted to try out a new imaging plan that I came up with where I would do a quick align with the AVX (no actual alignment), then run the APT plan which was to slew to M16, plate solve, sync with the AVX, center, and track, waiting for me to start PHD2 and start imaging.
The plan worked! Talk about easy! No alignment on my part, just let APT solve and sync to the target. Super lazy!!!

Well, I forgot one thing though, focus. So, I slewed to a nice star and focused using the Focus Aid. I tried using the Batinov mask, and failed. I think that I have that figured out for next time though.

Sent the scope back to M16 and solved and centered. Started imaging with the D5300 for 180 seconds at iso 400. Decent 1/4 to 1/3 from the left histogram, but M16 was right over town and my light frames were light orange.
Anyway, I managed 10 exposures before the clouds returned. The images went to heck along with the guiding. Like the hard head that I am, I stuck with it hoping that the clouds would clear and I could try an automated meridian flip.
The clouds came and went, but mostly hung around. I didn't image because the light frames were really washed out. When it came time for APT to flip, the initial plate solve failed and no wonder, clouds everywhere and PHD2 had lost the guide star (star mass changing).

Oh well, packed it in. This morning, I stacked the 10 light frames in dss (used all of them!) and shot the stacked fits file through Startools.

Actually, I am amazed that Startools pulled anything out of the poor quality light frames.

Yes, a trashy image, but I am really excited about Astrophotography Tool and the D5300.

10 lights for 180 seconds at iso 400
no darks
10 bias

For some reason, Startools gave me some purple/pink colorations when I ran the color module. Usually, I get a greenish cast when I first run it. Not this time! I didn't care for the tint though.
M16 7-24-19 30 min data stacked 100.jpg
Without the color module, this is the result. Yes, poor, noisy and just not good all over, but for 30 minutes of poor light frames, I am hopeful.
M16 7-24-19 30 min data stacked 100-3.jpg
I am happy that I at least have something to show for my evening. Need a bunch more than 10 exposures though!

Thanks for reading,

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Nikon D5300/Astrophotography Tools First Light

Post by bobharmony »

Nice first light on the camera, Jim. A very nice result considering 10 LP impacted lights and no calibration frames. ST can do some wonderful things with that orange background!

Looks like you have a keeper of a camera. I will be following along, and watching how you do with APT, I suspect I will be headed that way for at least the time being.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Nice sharp detail in the pillars. Guiding looks pretty good, having shot this recently I know there is a load of double stars. This could give the illusion of guiding problems. All-in-all it looks good, especially for the first kick at the can with a new capture program.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Jim,

I'm really proud of you, you've come a long way. You are now fully immersed. Good work on getting everything on APT to work for you. It's a great program.

Additionally, nice images given the circumstances.

Nicely done,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm Nice first light on the camera, Jim. A very nice result considering 10 LP impacted lights and no calibration frames. ST can do some wonderful things with that orange background!

Looks like you have a keeper of a camera. I will be following along, and watching how you do with APT, I suspect I will be headed that way for at least the time being.

Bob
Thanks Bob!

Yes, Startools is amazing software.

You can download a free trial of APT mostly full featured without a time limitation if you are ready to give it a try. I’m happy with it.
OhNo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:59 pm Nice sharp detail in the pillars. Guiding looks pretty good, having shot this recently I know there is a load of double stars. This could give the illusion of guiding problems. All-in-all it looks good, especially for the first kick at the can with a new capture program.
Thanks Brent!

Yeah, the stars do look okay especially considering that PHD2 was having a time of guiding in that part of the sky with the AVX.
Hope to get more data soon.
JayTee wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:30 pm Hi Jim,

I'm really proud of you, you've come a long way. You are now fully immersed. Good work on getting everything on APT to work for you. It's a great program.

Additionally, nice images given the circumstances.

Nicely done,
JT
Thanks JT! That is a very nice thing to say!

It’s hard not getting into it. Great hobby and plenty to learn for sure.

Thanks all,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Very nice, Jim! Heck, that is better than my 38x120s M16 image! Well done, my friend!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bladekeeper wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:57 am Very nice, Jim! Heck, that is better than my 38x120s M16 image! Well done, my friend!
You are too kind Bryan! Your image is so much smoother.

I was set up last night hoping to add more data, but even though my sky apps were split (they almost never all agree), the outlook looked much better than the previous night. Well, didn’t happen! It sure feels better breaking down the setup after a good night of imaging than a failed attempt!
I should not be surprised though. You know what kind of skies new equipment bring!

I hope to get another chance. M16 (and it’s relatives in the area) are in my most lp affected area of sky. Getting dark so late, I only have a window of a couple of hours before that region is in the trees.

Oh well, if I don’t get another shot at it, at least I got something. Definitely happy with APT and the Nikon did at least pull some reds in despite being unmodded. Thankful for that!

Thanks again buddy!

Jim
Jim

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

I am hoping my back ordered filter shows up soon. I grabbed 60 lights on IC 1396 (Elephant Trunk) a few nights back. A decent image, but not much to see but stars. Compared to my buddy Tyler’s image with the filter in the chain, huge difference. I will see if he’ll let me post the image so you can check out the difference in what the filter brings in compared to visible wavelengths.

I am wondering of some like that filter will work well for your unmodded DSLR too?

https://agenaastro.com/optolong-2-l-enh ... ilter.html

“Designed specifically for DSLR and color CMOS cameras”.

I gotta show you the results this evening. You will be amazed, Jim. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Yeah, please try to share the images Bryan. I would really like to see the difference.

I am on a retired dude's budget right now, but might be able to work something in. I am still waiting on the FF/FR from Astronomics. It has been on back order since Feburary!

I wanted to try the D5300 out for several hours of imaging to test the noise levels on a warm summer evening. Maybe someday even modding it or having it done.

If it were completely up to me, my 401k/IRA's would be involved in funding some astro gear! Don't get me wrong though, my wife is keeping things well under control. Good thing! I have much to learn anyway.

Thanks Bryan, and hope to see the images!

Jim
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

More clouds tonight!

Just playing around with Startools and the Heal and Layers modules. I like the look better with less stars.
M16 7-24-19 30 min data stacked 100-3 Less Stars.jpg
I know! I’m beating this one down! Well, at least I’m learning more about Startools.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Looking good, Jim!
Bryan