EAF focuser mounted (sort of permanently)

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

EAF focuser mounted (sort of permanently)

Post by SkyHiker »

I had bought a ZWO EAF electronic focuser, the new kind that just has one USB cable. The bracket that it shipped with did not fit on my 12" GSO astrograph unfortunately. So I cut a piece of sheet metal with tin snips, drilled some holes and got it attached. It was not al all sturdy of course, was flopping around with a little force - much less than the weight of the equipment mounted. And the result showed it - horrible focus.

Two nights ago I decided to apply industrial strength e6000 glue to mount it on a wooden block between the OTA and the focuser. So I can't take the focuser off anymore without using a jigsaw and sand paper but man is it solid! I get beautiful razor sharp focus now, see a nice V shaped curve the way it's supposed to be.

As much as I dislike mounting something permanently, I did not see a straightforward non-permanent one without drilling holes into the OTA, which I don't like as well. I'm happy with the result and this is meant to be my main scope so what the heck.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: EAF focuser mounted (sort of permanently)

Post by STEVE333 »

Congratulations on a solid solution. Autofocus is a real treat once you get the settings correct.

Look forward to seeing some of the images to come.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

You got the EAF solidly mounted and that is great!

The ASI EAF is a fine focuser and you got the 5v model with just the usb cable. Nice!

Like Steve said, AF is a real treat. Enjoy!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

I recently also got the ZWO EAF unit as well (the single cable 5V one). It works really great with my WO Z61 scope. The problem I had was clearance between the focus bracket and the AVX mount plate. It rubbed against it sometimes locking up the gears.

What I ended up doing was rotating the entire scope 180 degrees so the focuser was upside down and on top. That ended up working well.
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/