Connecting Ekos to the AVX by wiring the DB9 cables to the Pi's pins

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Connecting Ekos to the AVX by wiring the DB9 cables to the Pi's pins

Post by SkyHiker »

I am having no luck trying to control my AVX from a Pi 2B running Ekos. I am using the standard AVX serial cable with the female DB9 connector cut off so I can connect the three wires directly to the Pi's pins. This is how I have it wired up:

Red cable to GND (pin 6)
White cable to TXD0 (pin 8)
Black cable to RXD0 (pin 10)

From tweeting the DB9 connector,

Red cable = Pin 5 on female DB9 (GND)
White cable = Pin 3 on female DB9 (RXD)
Black cable = Pin 2 on female DB9 (TXD)

In Ekos I selected /tty/serial0. When connecting I see a yellow light for a while then it turns red and lists a timeout error. I tried 9600, 19200 and 115200 baud.

I have the serial port turned on through the GUI. In /boot/config.txt I see enable_uart=1. On the AVX side I did nothing special.

Suggestions on what could make this work? Thanks in advance.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Connecting Ekos to the AVX by wiring the DB9 cables to the Pi's pins

Post by SkyHiker »

I decided to get a USB to RJ11 cable for the AVX. What I tried is slightly bad because the Pi wants 3.3 V and the AVX delivers 5.5 V. I got some advice on CN but not enough to solve it. Enough playing around.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Connecting Ekos to the AVX by wiring the DB9 cables to the Pi's pins

Post by Graeme1858 »

Good that you solved it Henk.

Regards

Graeme