Feathertouch Focuser

Discuss what equipment you are using.
lostone
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Feathertouch Focuser

Post by lostone »

After a lot of fighting trying to get the ZWO EAF to work with my Edge 11" I have tossed it to the curb. Anyway I have replaced the stock focuser with the FeatherTouch 10 in 1 micro focuser. I have on order and should be here in a couple of days the FeatherTouch Stepper motor to go with it. Is anyone using the FeatherTouch Stepper motor HSM20. The documentation mentions that it has 19,450 steps per inch. Does anyone know what the actual individual step size is? Either in inch or microns? This is some info that I like to have so I can attempt to figure out the step size needed for auto focus. Or better yet, let me know what you ae using for your focus steps.

Much Appriciated.
Mark.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, GSO 10" RC, Askar FR600, Explorer Scientific 152ED CF
Guide Scope & Camera: Sky Watcher Evoguide 50 ED APO, ZWO ASI290mm, ASI 178, QHY5-II-M, ZWO OAG
Camera: ZWO ASI 6200MC Pro, ASI 2600MC Pro, Nikon D850, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron CEM70G
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, Eagle 3 Pro, Starizona APex ED .65 Reducer, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster, Pegasus UPBv2, Starizona Filter Slider system,
Software: N.I.N.A., SGP, APP, APT, CdC, Planewave 2, Adobe CC Suite, Pixinsight
STEVE333
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Feathertouch Focuser

Post by STEVE333 »

lostone wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:52 am After a lot of fighting trying to get the ZWO EAF to work with my Edge 11" I have tossed it to the curb. Anyway I have replaced the stock focuser with the FeatherTouch 10 in 1 micro focuser. I have on order and should be here in a couple of days the FeatherTouch Stepper motor to go with it. Is anyone using the FeatherTouch Stepper motor HSM20. The documentation mentions that it has 19,450 steps per inch. Does anyone know what the actual individual step size is? Either in inch or microns? This is some info that I like to have so I can attempt to figure out the step size needed for auto focus. Or better yet, let me know what you ae using for your focus steps.

Much Appriciated.
Mark.
Hi Mark,
19,450 steps per inch = 1.3 microns per step. The math is:
  • 1/19450 (inch/step) x 25.4 (mm/inch) x 1000 (microns/mm) = 1.31 microns/step
That is a very fine step. I have a stepper motor from MoonLight and it provides 6 microns/step.

Good luck with your autofocus. I'm using APT with their new autofocus routine and it is working perfectly for me.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii or ES ED102 CF + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight **** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures ****

lostone
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Feathertouch Focuser

Post by lostone »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:05 pm
lostone wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:52 am After a lot of fighting trying to get the ZWO EAF to work with my Edge 11" I have tossed it to the curb. Anyway I have replaced the stock focuser with the FeatherTouch 10 in 1 micro focuser. I have on order and should be here in a couple of days the FeatherTouch Stepper motor to go with it. Is anyone using the FeatherTouch Stepper motor HSM20. The documentation mentions that it has 19,450 steps per inch. Does anyone know what the actual individual step size is? Either in inch or microns? This is some info that I like to have so I can attempt to figure out the step size needed for auto focus. Or better yet, let me know what you ae using for your focus steps.

Much Appriciated.
Mark.
Hi Mark,
19,450 steps per inch = 1.3 microns per step. The math is:
  • 1/19450 (inch/step) x 25.4 (mm/inch) x 1000 (microns/mm) = 1.31 microns/step
That is a very fine step. I have a stepper motor from MoonLight and it provides 6 microns/step.

Good luck with your autofocus. I'm using APT with their new autofocus routine and it is working perfectly for me.

Cheers,

Steve
Thanks Steve
I have 2 Nitecrawlers and they are .4 Micron and a SLC w/ a V3 stepper. This gives me a great starting point so I can figure out what my steps size should be on the Edge 11"

Thanks again
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, GSO 10" RC, Askar FR600, Explorer Scientific 152ED CF
Guide Scope & Camera: Sky Watcher Evoguide 50 ED APO, ZWO ASI290mm, ASI 178, QHY5-II-M, ZWO OAG
Camera: ZWO ASI 6200MC Pro, ASI 2600MC Pro, Nikon D850, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron CEM70G
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, Eagle 3 Pro, Starizona APex ED .65 Reducer, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster, Pegasus UPBv2, Starizona Filter Slider system,
Software: N.I.N.A., SGP, APP, APT, CdC, Planewave 2, Adobe CC Suite, Pixinsight

Return to “AP equipment”