ZWO Frustration

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Gerald_db South Africa
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

ZWO Frustration

Post by Gerald_db »

Must share my frustration re ZWO. In South Africa we don't have an agent for ZWO but do have for QHY. Based on the forums that gave ZWO high marks for sorting issues, being quick to respond and having drivers that installed easily I went that way. I ordered the 2600mm from China on the 7th February and after their new year took courier delivery on the 3rd March. On the 15th March the camera failed during its second image capture session. Many emails to and from China and after sending requested SDK data capture files I received a please send back for repair approvals on the 30th March. R1400 of DHL courier at my cost it was received by the factory on 6th April. As of today, 20 April, it is still awaiting examination even though I received an email confirming a return for replacement because of it failing within 30 days of receipt.
I find the lack of urgency particularly irritating. The ASI2600MM is an expensive camera and I would have expected a quicker turnaround. The worst is that there is nothing one can do about it.
I will however never ever buy another ZWO product as long as I live.
Telescope: Astro-Tech 127EDT Triplet Refractor
Mount: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Guiding: Orion 60mm guidescope; ZWO ASI290mini mono guide camera
Focuser: Sesto Senso 2 Robotic Focuser
Imaging: ZWO ASI2600MM Pro Cooled; ZWO ASI294MM Pro Cooled
Filters: ZWO EFW 7 x 36mm; ZWO 36mm unmounted LRGB and new type NB
Dew Control: 2 x Astrozap Dew Heater Bands
Power and Dew Heater Control: Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Micro
Software: N.I.N.A Image Capture Software; PHD2 Multistar Guiding; PixInsight Process Software
Sky: Bortle 4.5

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: ZWO Frustration

Post by STEVE333 »

Gerald - Sorry to hear of your frustrations with ZWO. For that amount of money they certainly should be feeling your urgency. Hope you get it sorted out soon and that it works well after that.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Gerald sound to me like a return and replace; they should send you a new unit as soon as they received your faulty camera back. Simply put, they should repair a camera that fails immediately on their time not yours. Poor response. Thankfully we have good distributors in the UK.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

Did you get your camera back yet?

Dave
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

dang!, i've had 2 repairs from zwo over in china with a quicker turn around .. i think less then 14 days for both ,with express airmail .

i don't know how busy they are during this covid thing ,retail purchases are going through the roof for most consumer stuff .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .