Effect of a coma corrector on focal length (Paracorr 2)

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Effect of a coma corrector on focal length (Paracorr 2)

Post by SkyHiker »

I have trouble plate solving with my ASI2600MC while it goes smoothly with my QHY5 guide scope. One possible cause is that the focal length of 1200 mm has changed to something else by the use of the Paracorr 2. Entering a wrong focal length can definitely mess up plate solving - well at least if the difference is between the primary scope and the guide scope, that I have experienced.

Does anyone know if this is could be the cause or is it more likely an issue with index files, and do I just have to wait longer because of the longer focal length (1200 mm for the 12" vs. 162 mm for the guide scope)?

I could point the scope at a remote hillside and test for focus with and without the CC, add the 55 mm for the rings to the difference. It should not be a whole lot more, maybe 100 to 150 mm. If it behaves like an ideal lens, that is. Perhaps enough to mess things up.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Effect of a coma corrector on focal length (Paracorr 2)

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Good day Henk,
Your focal length with the Paracorr II should be 1200 X 1.15 = 1380mm, Are you using the "turntable" with the Paracorr or a spacer?
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

I'm especially interested to know how this works out since I'm in the process of making an f/4 8in astrograph, which will need a coma corrector.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:38 pm Good day Henk,
Your focal length with the Paracorr II should be 1200 X 1.15 = 1380mm, Are you using the "turntable" with the Paracorr or a spacer?
Yes, just so.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:38 pm Good day Henk,
Thanks Piet I will try that.

I use a spacer, 2 rings of 55 mm total. The fancy turntable is just for visual.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I loved the Paracor II with the 15" Obsession..it really made the wide angle views pop!
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100