Beginer Questions about Solar Imaging in H Alpha

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

Re: Beginer Questions about Solar Imaging in H Alpha

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A prism has a shorter lightpath than a mirror so that may be a helpful point for you.
Baader or APM prisms are very good in construction but more expensive than the usual suspects.
If you have a 2" diagonal you can get step down rings to go from 48mm to 29mm (ish) these are usually available at good camera shops.
A standard name brand mirror diagonal will work fine for this as well.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I've got a Lunt 80mm Ha scope, Single Stack, and I've been very happy with it. My friend had the same scope except his was the double stack version and I would say personally that unless you are very good at image processing, it's not worth the additional cost. The nice thing about the Lunt 80 and some of their other models is that you can always add the second etalon later to make it double stacked. Double stacking decreasing the amount of light let in so your exposure time is going to increase. NOT ideal if you are interested in ISS Transits.

Also, the ASI174mm will probably be a great camera! At full frame it has a frame rate of 128fps! Awesome for those ISS transits that only last about .5 seconds. My 1600mm is a bit slower even when doing a crop down to just larger than the solar disc on my rig.
A couple images from my setup. Lunt 80mm single stack, ASI1600mm camera.

ISS Transits
Image Image

Image Image
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Very Nice Images AstroBee,

Eventually, I will end up getting the 80mm or something, just can't afford it yet. I figure to start with the Quark and build up funds on the side. I have my name on backorder for Lunt 60 HA MT.

And that is a very nice transit image, I got one on Monday but they're predicting rain now. A 4 star one too. But luckily I have another shot in 10 days or so of another 4 star solar transit, not too far of a drive from my house.

And Thanks Lady Fraktor, I'm searching around for that Diagonal and gonna see if I can get one in the classifieds.
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:27 pm A prism has a shorter lightpath than a mirror so that may be a helpful point for you.
Baader or APM prisms are very good in construction but more expensive than the usual suspects.
If you have a 2" diagonal you can get step down rings to go from 48mm to 29mm (ish) these are usually available at good camera shops.
A standard name brand mirror diagonal will work fine for this as well.

I ended up getting this Diagonal. https://agenaastro.com/baader-t-2-prism ... 56005.html

I was caught between getting a 1.25" or 2". The issue I was facing that I wanted the Diagonal to fit the 80st and don't feel like buying a new focuser for the 80st , but also didn't want to be stuck with a nice 1.25" Diagonal, when I want to put a 2" eyepiece in it in the near future (Not for Solar HA) but for general purposes when I travel with my SVX 80 etc...

I also bought a fireball 2" eyepiece holder that will thread on to one of the T-2 thread and temporarily gonna use a T-2 1.25" nose piece until I get a 2" tube of some sort to put on the other end that will go into a two 2" focuser.

Thanks Again :)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is a nice aspect of the Baader as you have the ability to change them however you wish.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

An update on my New Solar imaging adventure.

I finally got my Solar rig just about ready. Here is my setup so far. I ended up getting a ZEQ25 from the classifieds and tuned it up a bit. I can't really image the sun from my backyard due to limited views and don't feel like transporting my Cem70 with tri pier around so this seemed like an ideal solution. Plus a travel mount even for DSO.

But I got the Quark, 174mm, Baader Prism T2/T2 Diagonal, Telvue Sol Searcher, and a GSO .50x reducer to try to achieve a full disc, that I may try with my ST 80 (I may piggy back it) Also I am using a ZWO IR/UV cut filter before the diagonal. Is that good enough for solar or do I need something else?

For the saddle, I didn't feel like paying over a hundred to convert it to Losmandy so I picked up a Vixen/Losmandy adapter plate and used some of my Farpoint points so that only cost me $50ish without it, it would have been $80 or so with shipping. And I didn't feel like swapping out my refractors plate all the time when I do DSO work.

One thing though that I was kind of expecting was my 2-inch riser for the SVX really put an off balance top load and needed to move the weight all the way down and it still was a little bit unbalanced, so and I just purchased a 7" extender bar for $30 that should be here early next week as I plan to finally test it and play around with it at my local park.