ASIAIR or Laptop to capture images for a beginner in Astro?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Glenbo58 Canada
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

ASIAIR or Laptop to capture images for a beginner in Astro?

Post by Glenbo58 »

Trying to come up with an economical plan for collecting basic Astro p/H equipment for my Lunt102ed & AVX mount.
I have a new Macbook Air with Apples new M1 processor which may not be very astro friendly being so new for capturing images & running the autoguider. The way I see it I have two options. Either get an inexpensive Windows based laptop to run the autoguider & camera via PHD2 or an astro computer like the ASIAIR that eliminates the need for a laptop. If option 2 is a good one my new macbook could probably still process the captured images. I have not bought anything yet, up to now just a visual observer. The objective is to make astrophotography as easy & as inexpensive as possible for a newbie like me. The other equipment I am considering is a ZWO 120MM mini for autoguiding & a used modified Canon T3i camera to get me started. Your thoughts & guidance are apreciated.
Lunt 102 ED, Celestron AVX, Orion Q70 38mm. Meade Super Plosl 26mm. Orthoscopic 18mm. Antaras Plossl 12.5mm.
Viven SLV 5mm. GSO 2.5 3 element barlow
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: ASIAIR or Laptop to capture images for a beginner in Astro?

Post by SkyHiker »

I use a Raspberry Pi for that, running KStars with Ekos (either from indilib or the astroberry package). I have two Pi 2b and one Pi 4b. The Pi 2b runs off a 2W port from a cigarette lighter / USB port combo box, the Pi 4b I have yet to figure out how to power it from such a box (it comes with an AC adapter to a USB-C connector). I don't know yet how much power it uses. For a DSLR, a Pi 2b is more than enough.

If your images are not on a DSLR but stored on the device, you probably want to use ethernet for speed reasons. In the field you can probably use its access point but frankly I don't want to bother and rather connect it through ethernet also for speed. The Pi 4b should be powerful enough for stacking with for instance Siril, I have yet to try that. But yes Ekos works great for guiding, plate solving, camera control, schedules, you name it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Although my newest laptop is so small and light that it would be no problem toting it around, I have some kind of visceral resistance to being tethered to a laptop while at a dark site or whatever. The Air sounds like a very good solution IMO. But YMMV.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

for just basic auto guiding, i would get a asi air or raspberry pie setup, for plate solving , full automation, i would use a laptop, there are even 12 volt laptops , even a typical 19 volt laptop can be used for long hours with the correct setup .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:07 pm for just basic auto guiding, i would get a asi air or raspberry pie setup, for plate solving , full automation, i would use a laptop, there are even 12 volt laptops , even a typical 19 volt laptop can be used for long hours with the correct setup .
Actually I plate solve all the time with my Pi, it supports ASTAP and astrometry.net both online and offline, it works very fine. Ekos also has a schedule and observatory control so you can automate away. I haven't tried that yet myself but the features appear to be there. I am a big proponent from all in one solutions, and Ekos looks like that.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I should mention that if you use a DSLR but don't want to deal with connecting two cameras (although Ekos does that just fine), you can also align the guide scope with the DSLRs FOV and use the guide scope for plate solving. You won't be disappointed by a Pi or ASIAir.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:58 pm I should mention that if you use a DSLR but don't want to deal with connecting two cameras (although Ekos does that just fine), you can also align the guide scope with the DSLRs FOV and use the guide scope for plate solving. You won't be disappointed by a Pi or ASIAir.
that's is so handy being able to plate solve on a guide scope, i'll think i will look into this : )
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Glenbo58 Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by Glenbo58 »

Just for fun I installed Kstars with Ekos on my M1 chip Macbook Air. I wasn't sure if the software would be compatible with the new Mac.
Although there is no equipment hooked up at this time it seems to work, the INDI drivers were installed with the package. I think this is a good starting point. Down the road I can decide if I would rather switch to a Raspberry powered Computer.
Lunt 102 ED, Celestron AVX, Orion Q70 38mm. Meade Super Plosl 26mm. Orthoscopic 18mm. Antaras Plossl 12.5mm.
Viven SLV 5mm. GSO 2.5 3 element barlow
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

One thing to keep in mind is that the ASIAir only supports ZWO cameras and some DSLRs. If you buy one make sure that your camera is supported. Ekos on a Pi is a great way to get started. You can also consider StellarMate, see https://indilib.org/ .