Gain and Exposure Time for ASI1600MM & LRGB Imaging

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Gain and Exposure Time for ASI1600MM & LRGB Imaging

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi All - I have an ASI1600MM cooled monochrome sensor that I've been using for narrowband (SHO) imaging. It is working well. Now I want to try some LRGB imaging with an F/5 telescope, but, I don't know what Gain/Exposure to use. I live under Bortle 5 skies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Gain and Exposure Time for ASI1600MM & LRGB Imaging

Post by JayTee »

Hi Steve,

Does your graph in this previous post of yours not answer your own question? If not, what piece of the puzzle are you missing?
viewtopic.php?t=8035

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

JayTee wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:57 pm Hi Steve,

Does your graph in this previous post of yours not answer your own question? If not, what piece of the puzzle are you missing?
viewtopic.php?t=8035

Cheers,
JT

Good call JT. The graph in the previous post was produced early on in my noise investigations. I used a more in depth analysis approach when figuring out my NB exposure times. That same analysis can be used to determine the exposure times for the LRGB filters. Will need to measure the skyglow for the L, R, G and B filters, but, that won't take much time. I guess I was hoping to save a little analysis time, but, you set me straight. Thanks!

I'll post the results when the analysis is complete.

Hopefully there will be some clear sky tomorrow night after the rains clear.

Cheers,
Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I did some preliminary analysis using estimates of the skyglow. The results indicated that about 200 sec exposures might be a good choice with the gain set at "0". However, I need to measure the skyglow to confirm the results. The graph below shows the results of the preliminary analysis.

Gain Analysis.JPG

The vertical axis shows the "goodness" of the master stacked image. The horizontal axis is the Exposure Time of the individual exposures. The "goodness" of the master stacked image has very little dependence on which ASI1600MM gain is chosen. Therefore I am leaning toward the "0" gain to prevent star saturation. The "goodness" of the master stacked image increases quickly with increasing Exposure Time up to an Exposure Time of about 100 sec (the knee of the curve). Increasing the Exposure Time beyond 200 sec produces only slight improvements in final image quality while it will cause more stars to saturate. The preliminary analysis result is:
  • Gain = 0
  • Exposure Time = 200 sec
It will be interesting to see if using the measured skyglow will significantly alter these preliminary results.

Cheers,

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I measured SkyGlow for the R, G and B filters and redid the analysis. The result for my system is below.

New RGB SNR.JPG

The meaning of the graph is as follows:
  • The vertical axis is the Image Quality (measured using Signal-to-Noise). The horizontal axis is the Exposure Time used for each image.
  • Consider that you are taking images for three hours. If you used 60 sec exposures you would collect 180 images (neglecting dithering or download times). If you used 180 sec exposures, each individual image would be better than the 60 sec exposures, but, you would only have 60 images.
  • When you process the images they will be stacked to produce one master Light image. Is the quality of that master Light image the same for the 60 sec exposures and the 180 sec exposures? The answer is NO! I won't bore you with the details, but, the longer exposures always produce a superior result. However, the improvement with longer exposures doesn't keep improving, but, reaches an asymptotic limit. As seen from the graph above the "knee" of the curves is at an exposure of about 200 sec. Longer exposures will provide only a small improvement, but, they will cause more stars to saturate. My choice of 200 sec is a tradeoff between better image quality and fewer saturated stars.
Hope this makes sense. By the way, I used a 200 sec Exposure time and Gain=0 (based on these analysis results) for my recent RGB image of the Leo Triplet which was posted in the DSO sub-forum. The results look good to me.

For those who are interested, in the analysis the effects of dithering time was included.

Feel free to contact me if you want more of the details.

Cheers,

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

In the analysis above I forgot to take into account the sensor gain (e-/count) [not the Gain setting which I chose as zero. For the Gain = 0 setting the sensor gain = 5 (e-/count). With the correction the graph looks as shown below:
ASI1600MM RGB.JPG
What the graph shows is that the quality of the stacked image using 200 sec exposures is within 5% of the theoretical best that can be achieved. A 5% difference in noise level will be barely noticeable. However, the 200 sec exposure will leave many of the stars unsaturated yielding good star colors when the RGB channels are combined.

The effects of dithering is also included. The effect of dithering is to reduce the amount of time available to take images. The average time between images when dithering occurs is about 60 sec. However, I only dither once for every three images, so, the average dither time is 60 sec/3 = 20 sec.

I know this is a lot of explanation. However, the key point is that increasing the Exposure Time beyond the "knee" of the curve will NOT produce much improvement in stacked image quality (but will saturate more and more stars).

I should mention that these curves are for the ASI1600MM sensor with RGB filters and with my F/4.9 WO Star71 telescope and Bortle 5 skies. The curves would be different for different F/# telescope and/or different light pollution conditions.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

One final thought!

Exposure times longer than the exposure time at the "knee" of the curve (call this Tknee) won't provide much improvement in the final stacked image. However, using an Exposure Time of Tknee may still be saturating too many stars. If that's the case, then, your only choice is to make the tradeoff between image quality or fewer saturated stars. Life is full of tradeoffs, and, this is one of them!

At least the curves point to a good starting point (Exposure Time = Tknee or slightly longer).

Cheers,

Steve
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

STEVE333 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 am I should mention that these curves are for the ASI1600MM sensor with RGB filters and with my F/4.9 WO Star71 telescope and Bortle 5 skies. The curves would be different for different F/# telescope and/or different light pollution conditions.
Steve, I'm following this with great interest because as you know, I too have the 1600mm.
So my question at this point, understanding (sort of) everything you've mentioned, is HOW do I do this same analysis for my system and sky conditions?
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

AstroBee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:48 am
STEVE333 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 am I should mention that these curves are for the ASI1600MM sensor with RGB filters and with my F/4.9 WO Star71 telescope and Bortle 5 skies. The curves would be different for different F/# telescope and/or different light pollution conditions.
Steve, I'm following this with great interest because as you know, I too have the 1600mm.
So my question at this point, understanding (sort of) everything you've mentioned, is HOW do I do this same analysis for my system and sky conditions?

I will be glad to do the analysis for you (it would be tedious for you to do by hand!). I have a program named Mathcad that does math calculations and graphing which makes it easy for me.

For a given telescope what I need is the average counts from a raw frame for each filter along with the camera Gain and Offset settings and the exposure time. This allows me to determine the Skyglow for each filter. Then I can produce the curves for your filters when used with that telescope and the same Gain.

Actually, if you change the camera to another telescope I can probably determine the curves for the new telescope as long as I know the F-number for each telescope.

If this isn't clear let me know and we can figure it out.

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:14 am
AstroBee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:48 am

I will be glad to do the analysis for you (it would be tedious for you to do by hand!). I have a program named Mathcad that does math calculations and graphing which makes it easy for me.

For a given telescope what I need is the average counts from a raw frame for each filter along with the camera Gain and Offset settings and the exposure time. This allows me to determine the Skyglow for each filter. Then I can produce the curves for your filters when used with that telescope and the same Gain.

Actually, if you change the camera to another telescope I can probably determine the curves for the new telescope as long as I know the F-number for each telescope.

If this isn't clear let me know and we can figure it out.

Steve

Wow, thank you so much for the offer.
If I understand you correctly you would just need a set of exposures through each filter from both of my regular locations, the first being my bortle 8-9 backyard and another from my primary dark sky location which is Bortle 2?
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

That would be perfect. Wow, Bortle 2! Lucky you!!!

Do you use PixInsight or APT? I ask about those programs because I know each of them is capable of measuring the average (or Mean) counts from a raw image. I'm sure other programs can also measure the mean counts, but, I'm not familiar with other programs.

Just make sure you know the Offset, Gain and Exposure used for each image.

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I don't use PI or APT... I use NINA or SharpCap for acquisition and Astro Pixel Processor for processing.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

And I'm lazy so I only shoot with a gain of 139, Offset 10. That's the only master dark library I have built.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I would think that SharpCap can measure the mean counts in a raw image. Maybe one of your SharpCap buddies can help with this?

You can just use raw images you have already taken as long as you know the Exposure time used (since you already know the Gain and Offset).

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Maybe we could do a Google Meets meeting one afternoon or evening and I could just drop some files on Google Drive?
Do you need a series of exposures through each filter, say 30sec, 60sec, 90 sec, 120sec?

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

AstroBee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:30 am Maybe we could do a Google Meets meeting one afternoon or evening and I could just drop some files on Google Drive?
Do you need a series of exposures through each filter, say 30sec, 60sec, 90 sec, 120sec?

A Google Meets meeting would be fine with me. If you put the files on Google Drive I could download them and then open them up with PI and measure the counts.

I only need one exposure for each filter. The analysis takes care of calculating the performance for different exposure times.

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

AstroBee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:30 am Maybe we could do a Google Meets meeting one afternoon or evening and I could just drop some files on Google Drive?

I need one more piece of information for the analysis.
1) Do you use dithering?
2) If yes, on average, how long is the time from when one picture ends until the next picture starts?

Example: Consider the case where it takes 60 seconds after an image is acquired for the system to start taking the next image when dithering is performed (the case for my setup):

a) If you dither on every image your average dither time is 60 sec.

b) If you dither on every other image your average dither time is 60/2 = 30 sec.

c) If you dither on every third image your average dither time is 60/3 = 20 sec.

You get the point.

It turns out that the "dither time" has a significant effect on the results.

Cheers,

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I dither every second exposure and it usually takes about 30 seconds.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Perfect, then your average dither time will be 15 sec.

I wish my time to recover from dithering was as short as yours!

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:24 pm Perfect, then your average dither time will be 15 sec.

I wish my time to recover from dithering was as short as yours!

Steve
I will confirm again when I record the calibration frames for you.