OAG recommendations for C-11

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

OAG recommendations for C-11

Post by KathyNS »

I have some unexpected (i.e. "free") money coming in soon. I would like to be able to use my C-11 for galaxies and other small DSOs. While I have successfully experimented with using my C-90 as a guide scope, at f/7, it is a bit of a franken-rig, and I plan to get an OAG instead.

If I use my ASI120MC as the imaging camera, it and my QHY5 guide camera have the same back focus (= 12.5 mm), so focusing should be straightforward. If I use my Atik 383L+, I would need to insert the filter wheel, giving a total increase of 27mm over the ASI. I am sure I can come up with 27mm of extensions for the QHY.

Any recommendations for an OAG?

I have a Moonlite focuser for the C-11 that I use with the ASI120 for planetary. Would I be running out of back focus if I used it with an OAG? It works fine with the ASI120 connected directly on the back of the Moonlite. Would it work with the Atik and filter wheel?

Any opinions and advice welcome.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
umasscrew39 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: OAG recommendations for C-11

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Kathy

I saw your post on CN and was going to respond along with the others but decided to respond here instead...I have no idea why I didn't. Anyway, for the past 3 years I have used the SX integrated filter wheel/OAG on my C11" EdgeHD along with the UltraStar camera. The SX equipment is very well built and the integration design helps in that you have one less piece of equipment to add to the optical train. However, the disadvantages are that SX equipment is heavier and more expensive than ZWO OAG and filter wheel which are way more popular these days. Also, you do not always get a lot of stars to choose from. Folks are having very good success with the ASI174mm Mini camera on the C11 due to its large sensor to see many stars to guide from. They use it either on the heavy Celestron OAG or the ZWO OAG. The Celestron OAG is big and heavy but it has a big prism which is good. That coupled with the ASI174mm Mini should be a great combination. I am going to be testing both OAGs during the next week and can let you know what I find out if interested.

Bruce
Bruce

Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate........Sophocles, c. 420 BCE

StarzantiSkies Observatory
https://www.astrobin.com/users/umasscrew39/