My First AP rig, request for comments

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My First AP rig, request for comments

Post by chris_g »

Hello all,

I think I've worked out my first AP rig after the last several weeks of research and with the assistance of many of you here. Below is a list of the equipment I've come up with and the reasons for my choices.

I have the option of changing the mount from the Advanced VX to the Sky Watcher HEQ 5 but decided on the Advanced VX because for the extra $80, I also get the 8" Newtonian OTA, which will end up on another mount some time in the future for visual pursuits. Are there any overriding reasons to choose the HEQ 5 over the Advanced VX? I opted for the Celestron NexYZ Adapter because I have a Note 20 and found some AP software in the Play Store called Deep Sky Camera, I like the ability to precisely frame the shot all thee axis will provide. It will be used primarily on the Newtonian once I have the mount for it. The Orion 80mm APO is the best bang for the buck that I can see. The Orion Dynamo will also power my lap top from one of three DC ports and has enough ports to run two mounts if needed. Eventually the lap top will be replaced with a mini PC to extend the run time of the Dynamo. The ZWO 30 mm mini guide scope is $50 less than the equivalent Orion 30 mm. I opted for the color version of the ZWO ASI120M since it was the same price as the mono version plus it has USB 3.0. The only piece I'm still not totally sure about is the Orion Superwide Prime Focus adapter. It's one piece that attaches my Canon T3i to the scope instead of a T-Ring for the camera and adapter for the scope, it's focal length is 10mm, will this piece by itself allow me to achieve prime focus? Are there better choices that give me more flexibility on a 2" focuser?
  • Celestron Advanced VX 8" Newtonian Telescope
  • Celestron NexYZ 3-Axis Universal Smartphone Adapter
  • Orion 80mm (3.15") ED APO Refractor Telescope OTA
  • Orion Dynamo Pro 155 Wh AC DC USB Lithium Power Supply
  • Orion Superwide 2-inch Prime Focus Adapter for Canon EOS Cameras
  • ZWO 30 mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
  • ZWO ASI120MC Super Speed Color CMOS Telescope Camera
Have I missed anything? Any suggestions for additions, deletions or replacements would be greatly appreciated.
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My First AP rig, request for comments

Post by JayTee »

As long as you plan on just using the 80mm for imaging, I think you are set. Keep in mind that the mount could handle a slightly larger scope (a 102mm frac for example) but your limfac could then be the 30mm guide scope. I use a 70 or 80mm (both @ 400mm FL) for guides scope when I image with my 80mm APO on my AVX mount. You may still need a 1-2" extension tube to achieve focus using your DSLR.

Just food for thought but your list will get you started down the road to quality deep sky images with your T3i. Even with the right kind of gear (like you've chosen), the learning curve is still very steep!

Also, keep in mind that ASI120MC can also double as a lunar/planetary imaging camera.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

JayTee wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:06 pm As long as you plan on just using the 80mm for imaging, I think you are set. Keep in mind that the mount could handle a slightly larger scope (a 102mm frac for example) but your limfac could then be the 30mm guide scope. I use a 70 or 80mm (both @ 400mm FL).
Why is the 30mm a limiting factor for a bigger scope? I will eventually want use a larger scope. Maybe even try the Newtonian as part of that learning curve. Orion has one that is 50mm and the docs say it's designed for scopes up to to 1500mm, would that be a better choice then?

If I add another 10mm tube, like the TPO M48, that would take care of the prime focus?
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

That comparison about the 8" is relative to the HEQ5, right? So you will be paying extra money for the 8" Newt that could go towards a 102 mm Apo instead of an 80 mm, which is what I would do. The ES ED102 is generally well received and costs $1200, quite affordable. Look at the images that Mac (Steve) makes with his.

About doing visual with a Newt, I suspect that a 102 mm Apo will be more pleasant and possibly nicer (image, and you don't have to contort your neck in different positions). So I don't know how useful that would be.

The rest is fine but don't expect serious AP from the ZWO120MC. It will work for planetary but not for DSOs because the FOV is very small.

The HEQ5 is probably not a whole lot better than the AVX. If you wanted to get a significantly better mount you will be in the $2500 range.

Personally I would not get an adapter for my cell phone and would rather spend it on a Raspberry Pi to run Ekos for remote control.

In the end it's all up to you and a matter of preference, you won't go wrong with what you propose.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:35 pm That comparison about the 8" is relative to the HEQ5, right? So you will be paying extra money for the 8" Newt that could go towards a 102 mm Apo instead of an 80 mm, which is what I would do. The ES ED102 is generally well received and costs $1200, quite affordable. Look at the images that Mac (Steve) makes with his.

About doing visual with a Newt, I suspect that a 102 mm Apo will be more pleasant and possibly nicer (image, and you don't have to contort your neck in different positions). So I don't know how useful that would be.

The rest is fine but don't expect serious AP from the ZWO120MC. It will work for planetary but not for DSOs because the FOV is very small.

The HEQ5 is probably not a whole lot better than the AVX. If you wanted to get a significantly better mount you will be in the $2500 range.

Personally I would not get an adapter for my cell phone and would rather spend it on a Raspberry Pi to run Ekos for remote control.

In the end it's all up to you and a matter of preference, you won't go wrong with what you propose.
The AVX Newtonian package is the only way I can get the AVX in any reasonable amount of time, at least according to Opt. The HEQ 5 is available for $80 less, the mounts are the same class, so I pay $80 for an 8" Newtonian that I could use for visual or even perhaps sell. That was my thought process on it.

I never even thought about AP with the ZWO, chose it for it's cost. But it'll be fun to shoot the solar system with it.

The cell phone adapter will let me do some more fun AP stuff. The DeepSky Camera app will do plans like APT. Control will be done by Windows based machine, already have it. It's what I know, 8-)

I'm looking to make the initial investment that will last me for a while, thanks for the input. Glad to know I got everything pretty much right, just tweaked the guide scope.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

One thing you may have overlooked is how you are going to run the camera! Been here, done that!!! Unless you use a remote trigger or a computer based capture/control program you'll be limited to exposure limits of the camera OS (usually 30 seconds). The other thing is regardless of the previous statement reaching focus from the tiny camera screen can be troublesome!

Good luck on your venture. Wear a hat, it slows down the hair pulling!!!! :lol:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

The ASI 120MC should only be used for guiding and lunar/planetary imaging. Use your T3i as your primary DSO imaging camera. It is what I started with and it will satisfy your needs for at least a year.

It is not the aperture of the guide scope (30mm) it is the FL. Ideally, you would like your imaging scope's FL to not exceed 5 times your guide scope's FL to keep your guiding accurate. This means that you should keep your imaging FL to around 600mm (30mm @ f/4 = 120mm X 5 = 600mm). Using PHD2 as your guiding software you could probably increase the imaging scope's FL to 1000mm depending on the target. I'm using FL because right now it is easier to understand than image scale. Ultimately, it is image scale between the two imaging systems (main image and guide image) that matters. As long as we are talking about just two sensors, your T3i and the ASI120MC then we can use FL.

I don't own the Orion 80mm so I can't tell you precisely how many extension tubes will be needed to achieve focus with your DSLR. I can tell you that my ES 80mm APO requires a full 4" of extension tubes to bring an image into focus!

Cheers,
JT

PS. Please review this post to get a handle on all the software that is available to use and how it should be used.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=523
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

OhNo wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:46 am One thing you may have overlooked is how you are going to run the camera! Been here, done that!!! Unless you use a remote trigger or a computer based capture/control program you'll be limited to exposure limits of the camera OS (usually 30 seconds). The other thing is regardless of the previous statement reaching focus from the tiny camera screen can be troublesome!

Good luck on your venture. Wear a hat, it slows down the hair pulling!!!! :lol:
Camera and scope control will be handled by a spare laptop and APT. Didn't think to add it because I already had it. Preprocessing will be done by Deep Sky Stacker and post processing will be by Adobe Photoshop. I just learned about PixInlight today and would rather pay one time instead of a monthly fee, it will pay for itself in about two years. So I'm going to look into that. I've been working on camera control and have done some some really basic image processing since about mid December. It's been a learning experience to say the least. And the hair pulling started early on! Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get live view to work until I got the nifty fifty F/1.8 in early January, just not enough light in my sky for my F/3.5 lense to make the live view turn on. Oh yeah, that reminds me, I need to add a Bahtinov mask to the list.

I've got a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to combining two old hobbies with a new one.

Clear Skies! :text-thankyouyellow:
Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

There is more info here on guide scope focal length.

https://agenaastro.com/articles/guides/ ... raphy.html

"So the rule above suggests the focal length of the guide scope should be at least 1/10th the focal length of the imaging scope. If the focal length of your imaging scope is 1500mm, then you need a guide scope with a focal length of at least 150mm to give sufficient resolution for effective autoguiding. "

They talk about pixel size in coming up with the factor. If guide and scope camera are similar pixel size, then 120mm guide scope can do 1200mm scope.
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Ed217 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:11 am There is more info here on guide scope focal length.

https://agenaastro.com/articles/guides/ ... raphy.html

"So the rule above suggests the focal length of the guide scope should be at least 1/10th the focal length of the imaging scope. If the focal length of your imaging scope is 1500mm, then you need a guide scope with a focal length of at least 150mm to give sufficient resolution for effective autoguiding. "

They talk about pixel size in coming up with the factor. If guide and scope camera are similar pixel size, then 120mm guide scope can do 1200mm scope.
:text-thankyoublue: The article was great, now I have a better understanding of guide scopes. The guide scope I changed to has a focal length of 240mm. That will handle anything I believe I will ever do. Now I need to check the stats of the guide camera. Looks like the one I chose would do the job but it's actually better to go with monochrome version than the color version. If I did decide to use it for planetary pursuits I would need to add a color wheel to the mix! Oh so much to learn!
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

chris_g wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 pm
JayTee wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:06 pm As long as you plan on just using the 80mm for imaging, I think you are set. Keep in mind that the mount could handle a slightly larger scope (a 102mm frac for example) but your limfac could then be the 30mm guide scope. I use a 70 or 80mm (both @ 400mm FL).
Why is the 30mm a limiting factor for a bigger scope? I will eventually want use a larger scope. Maybe even try the Newtonian as part of that learning curve.
Just to caution you, that 8" Newt is meant for visual and not for AP. It is not an astrograph and will not allow the use of a coma corrector according to one review that I read, which you will most likely need. If AP with the 8" Newt is important to you, ask the sales person what problems you can expect.

BTW that 80 mm Apo with a FL of 600 mm looks fine. The F ratio of 7.5 is somewhat forgiving for field curvature, which means that you may get by without having to buy a field flattener. For my F/6 80 mm ES ED80 a FF was badly needed.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Okey Dokey, updated tweaks to the rig, now we wait until the taxes come in to finish out the budget. Then I get to be an :Astronomer1:

One final question, can anyone tell me the size of the outer diameter of the tube of the ED 80mm? Can't find it anywhere and need to know to add a bahtinov mask to the list, I'm assuming it's between 78-113mm due to the size of the aperture being 3.15" but would like to confirm. Orion lists every other aspect of the tube but that one.
  • Celestron Advanced VX 8" Newtonian Telescope
  • Orion Bahtinov Mask - 228-263mm ID PinPoint Focusing Mask
  • Celestron NexYZ 3-Axis Universal Smartphone Adapter
  • Orion 80mm (3.15") ED APO Refractor Telescope OTA
  • Orion Mirror Diagonal, Refractor - 2"
  • Orion 1/4-inch-20 Adapter for Orion Telescope Mounts
  • Orion Dynamo Pro 155 Wh AC DC USB Lithium Power Supply
  • Orion Superwide 2-inch Prime Focus Adapter for Canon EOS Cameras
  • TPO M48 Spacers/Extension Rings 10mm
  • Orion 60mm Multi-Use Guide Scope with Helical Focuser
  • ZWO ASI120MM Mini Monochrome CMOS Camera
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I use this Bahtinov mask. It works on a number of my fracs because it is adjustable.
https://www.adorama.com/farfp402.html?u ... dl-gbase-o

Cheers,
JT

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

My Orion ST-80 is attached snugly atop my imaging scope with a pair of 90mm tube rings. It came with a pair of 105mm rings with nylon setscrews, but I like the rigid fit the 90s give much better.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:28 pm Just to caution you, that 8" Newt is meant for visual and not for AP. It is not an astrograph and will not allow the use of a coma corrector according to one review that I read, which you will most likely need. If AP with the 8" Newt is important to you, ask the sales person what problems you can expect.

BTW that 80 mm Apo with a FL of 600 mm looks fine. The F ratio of 7.5 is somewhat forgiving for field curvature, which means that you may get by without having to buy a field flattener. For my F/6 80 mm ES ED80 a FF was badly needed.
I'll add a PrimaLuceLab 2" Field Flattener for Airy Black to the list, I'm definitely pushing the budget. The newt is a bonus so to speak, only way I can get the AVX in a reasonable amount of time. I can opt for a SkyWatcher HEQ-5 and save some cash, but was hoping to get the newt and invest in an inexpensive AZ mount later on for visual pursuits while the frac is imaging since the difference in price between the AVX newt package and the HEQ-5 by itself isn't that much
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

I ordered the equipment from Opt night before last. Changed the mount to the Sky View EQ6R Pro because it carries more and weighs less than other EQ 6 class mounts. Thanks to SkyHiker stopped obsessing over package deals and focused on the task I want to accomplish with this setup while keeping future OTAs in mind. I opted to go with Orion's reducer-flattner as it shortens the focal length from 600mm to 510mm and in turns changes the F/7.5 to F/6.3, it's also made specifically for the scope. I also added a eye piece kit, what good is a scope of you can't look through it along with the Celestron smart phone adapter, I like the idea of being able to use my Note 20, it takes awesome pics and I'm excited to see what it can do. According to the docs on the scope, a diagonal or extension tube is required to achieve focus so I should be covered.

Now comes the truly painful part, waiting for it all to get here. Then the fun truly begins, learning how to use it.

Mount
Sky Watcher EQ6-R Pro Equatorial Go-To Mount

Telescope
Orion 80mm (3.15") ED APO Refractor Telescope
Orion 100 MM ID Ring Set

Guide Scope
Orion 60mm Multi-Use Guide Scope with Helical Focuser
ZWO ASI120MM Mini Monochrome CMOS Camera

Diagonals
Orion 45 Erect-Image Prism Diagonal - 1.25"
Orion Mirror Diagonal, Refractor - 2"

1.25-Inch Plossl Eyepieces
6.3 mm, 7.5 mm, 10 mm, 17 mm, 40 mm.

2.0-Inch Eye Pieces
ORION 0.85x REDUCER-FLATTENER

Planetary Filters and filter Wheel
#12 Yellow, #23 Orange, #25 Red, #58 Green, #80A Blue, Moon Filter
ZWO Five Position Electronic Filter Wheel - 1.25" and 31 mm

Miscellaneous items like tube extensions, vixen mounting plate, camera adapters and a Bahtinov mask
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Looks good Chris! The mount is the most important piece if equipment and you made a great choice. Now you can add gear over time without outgrowing your mount, and your 80 mm is great to start with. Let's hope it arrives soon and please keep us posted.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hi Chris looks like a great rig, great that Henk could give you advice. Good luck with getting the delivery. So first the money pit, to be followed by the wait and the learning curve. The wait is the most painful part.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

My mount shipped today, it's due to be delivered on Friday, not going to get any time to check it out yet though, an unexpected trip to move family cross country. Everything else is still on back order but should be in a another week or two. Hopefully everything will be here waiting when I get back but if not I'll work on getting my camera set up in the mount.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

And now, after a total of four months, the final rig is assembled. The scope arrived today, yes today, July 1, 2021 that was ordered back in February. Orion kept changing the expected delivery date for most of their gear. I finally decided to cancel that scope and replace it with the Sky Watcher ED80 APD, it was in stock luckily so everything that came in already should match straight up. Yay! Finally...