auto focuser for orion 8" with low profile focuser

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

auto focuser for orion 8" with low profile focuser

Post by Star Dad »

Hi everyone - I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
I have the 8" Orion /fl1000mm and I replaced the original crayford with the low profile 2" focuser (about 11 years ago). I am thinking about getting the Orion AccuFocus and wrote to Orion to ask if the two were compatible. The answer I got was a No from their tech department. I subsequently found this page: http://www.orion-xt10.com/low-profile- ... ser-1.html that describes in serious detail how to connect the two - with absolutely no modifications required. The only caution being to be careful in tightening the shaft's set screw because the focuser shaft is circular and not keyed. I've asked Orion about this and am waiting a reply.

Can anyone confirm this would work? I've also thought about an automated focuser that is computer controlled - but there seems to be a wide variety of systems. I would prefer to keep the low profile focuser (mainly because I paid a good deal of money for it), but I'm not sure what if any of the auto-focusers I've seen would work with it - or do I need to just go out and buy a whole new focusing rig?

Thanks in advance.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: auto focuser for orion 8" with low profile focuser

Post by KathyNS »

I use the Rigelsys nStep focuser. I got it originally for the GSO LF focuser that came with my Orion 8" f/4 scope. Last year, I changed the focuser to a FeatherTouch. All I had to do was order a new mounting bracket from Rigel. Everything else continued to work. Rigel has motors and brackets for a wide range of focusers. It works well with SGP controlling it.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: auto focuser for orion 8" with low profile focuser

Post by UkDave »

Deepskydad focuser should fit.

Regards Dave