ASI2600MM Pro and accessories?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

ASI2600MM Pro and accessories?

Post by SkyHiker »

My DSLR has become the limiting factor so I am looking into an astro camera. I know I can't go wrong with a 1600 or 533 but there's this new 2600 that seems to blow everything out of the water if I may believe what I read, with an APS/C size sensor. Any advice?

Then I need 7 filters and a filter wheel, lrgb and ha, siii, oii. Do I need 2" or 1.25", and why? I hope 7nm 1.25" is good enough, like what they sell with the 1600 as a package including filter wheel.

With all these filters I may need a motorized focuser, can I bolt one on to my current focuser?

How much power is this going to draw? I don't see it in the spec.

Thanks for your advice!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: ASI2600MM Pro and accessories?

Post by SkyHiker »

I just read in their question section that I need 36 mm filters so 1.25" won't do.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Never mind, the ASI2600 is new so there is no user experience yet. An APS/C sized sensor is what I want so I go all in. I added the accessories and filled up my shopping cart, the choices seem straightforward given the camera. I added the ZWO EAF auto focuser and hope that the weight is low enough to avoid having to buy a Featherlite. Ok it's done!
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

what scope are you putting this onto ? do you plan on going oag ? i have the 7x2'' fw and zwo eaf,

PS i'm pretty sure the new cameras with the tilt ring bolt onto the filterwheels to save space, this should actualy avoid problems casting shadows onto the chip with a f4 scope and under with a oag . you can't rotate the camera ,you'll have to unbolt and re attach or turn the whole fw and camera assembly .

the zwo eaf has a load cutoff so you'll have to adjust the focuser tention , a typical zwo camera and 7 cell 2'' fw seems to be the limit , i wouldn't use a 9x2'' or bigger ectt , not sure how it handles a 7x2'' with a oag yet ...

hmm for some reason zwo don't seem to sell carousel seperatly even though filterwheels are the same ..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

yobbo89 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:42 pm what scope are you putting this onto ?
The 6" Mak Newt and my upcoming 12" PTO astrograph.
yobbo89 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:42 pm do you plan on going oag ? i have the 7x2'' fw and zwo eaf,
Not yet, I wonder if that 12" monster has flex in its tube.
yobbo89 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:42 pm PS i'm pretty sure the new cameras with the tilt ring bolt onto the filterwheels to save space, this should actualy avoid problems casting shadows onto the chip with a f4 scope and under with a oag . you can't rotate the camera ,you'll have to unbolt and re attach or turn the whole fw and camera assembly .

the zwo eaf has a load cutoff so you'll have to adjust the focuser tention , a typical zwo camera and 7 cell 2'' fw seems to be the limit , i wouldn't use a 9x2'' or bigger ectt , not sure how it handles a 7x2'' with a oag yet ...

hmm for some reason zwo don't seem to sell carousel seperatly even though filterwheels are the same ..
My filters are 36 mm, quite a bit smaller than 2". I selected those based on a Q&A in the OPT link https://optcorp.com/products/zwo-asi260 ... omy-camera

Thanks for chiming in, I'm taking a big leap here.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i think 36mm will be fine with zwo and thier cameras for faster scopes as the filter distance is pretty close when the camera is bolted on. don't know about full frame, i supose they have tested all this, usualy they'll reply if it works or not if you ask them a question, would be good if they could provide some flat frames with diferent filter size and scopes ..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Gerald_db South Africa
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gerald_db »

I received my 2600mm setup a week ago and have managed 1 evening of setup and 1 Ha before clouds arrived. I purchased the new ZWO EFW 7 x 36mm unmounted wheel that ZWO recommended. It screws onto the camera. The images are dramatic, noiseless and zero amp glow. Combine that with the deep well and 16 bit depth. Nothing else comes near IMHO.
Telescope: Astro-Tech 127EDT Triplet Refractor
Mount: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Guiding: Orion 60mm guidescope; ZWO ASI290mini mono guide camera
Focuser: Sesto Senso 2 Robotic Focuser
Imaging: ZWO ASI2600MM Pro Cooled; ZWO ASI294MM Pro Cooled
Filters: ZWO EFW 7 x 36mm; ZWO 36mm unmounted LRGB and new type NB
Dew Control: 2 x Astrozap Dew Heater Bands
Power and Dew Heater Control: Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Micro
Software: N.I.N.A Image Capture Software; PHD2 Multistar Guiding; PixInsight Process Software
Sky: Bortle 4.5

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Gerald_db wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm I received my 2600mm setup a week ago and have managed 1 evening of setup and 1 Ha before clouds arrived. I purchased the new ZWO EFW 7 x 36mm unmounted wheel that ZWO recommended. It screws onto the camera. The images are dramatic, noiseless and zero amp glow. Combine that with the deep well and 16 bit depth. Nothing else comes near IMHO.
That's great to hear, exactly the same as what I ordered. Thanks Gerald! I hope it arrives soon...
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

I'm a bit late to this discussion (haven't been on TSS for awhile). I have the 2600 and am currently using it on an EdgeHD11, with ZWO OAG and FW and 31mm unmounted filters. There is some vignetting, but nothing that post-processing hasn't been able to correct. You can read about my 2600 testing on SkyAndRockets http://skyandrockets.blogspot.com
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

XCal, Even late to the game, your post is still valuable. I read your blog post because I thought you made a mistake saying you were using 31mm filters instead of 36mm.
That's very great news because that's pretty much the only thing that's prevented me from buying the 2600 was thinking I'd have to ditch all of my 1.25" filters. Seeing your results makes me think about grabbing the 2600mm very soon as I can just about afford it but not if I needed to replace all the filters and wheel.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

AstroBee wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:27 pm XCal, Even late to the game, your post is still valuable. I read your blog post because I thought you made a mistake saying you were using 31mm filters instead of 36mm.
That's very great news because that's pretty much the only thing that's prevented me from buying the 2600 was thinking I'd have to ditch all of my 1.25" filters. Seeing your results makes me think about grabbing the 2600mm very soon as I can just about afford it but not if I needed to replace all the filters and wheel.
Yeah, replacing my Astrodon 31mm filters with 2" and new FW would run almost $4000. Keep in mind that you may still need to crop the images a little bit as the very corners may not be fully corrected by the flats. But considering all the Pros of the 2600 over the 1600, I have decided to put up with a little cropping if necessary. I always have to crop anyway due to slight differences among the various filters and imaging runs over multiple nights, especially since I sometimes need to remove the camera from the OTA during long periods of bad weather (the mount stays outside under a Telegizmo Cover, but I usually don't leave the cameras out there).
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

The ASI2600MM has finally arrived. I had received the filter wheel, filters and electronic focuser about a month ago. I also ordered and received an ASI2600MC much quicker than this that I meanwhile have learned how to use.

The bottleneck of my system is the G11S that is responsible for 1.5" RMS. Until I get that down to 0.5" the 2600MM has no advantage over the 2600MC except for narrow band. Getting everything set up: ASI120MM based OAG (both new and untested), Paracorr2, filter wheel and electronic focuser, will take some time. I suspect that the Pi 4b cannot handle the power supply for the filter wheel and autofocuser so I will use a powered USB hub.

Putting it all together will be challenging. I will do some basic hardware and firmware testing to make sure there are no problems but will focus on the 2600MC until I have the mount and autoguiding dialed in. In fact the AS120MM and OAG may help with that because the ole SSAG QHY5 is a bit noisy. I need to get ready for the Kaibab Lodge star party in June by the Grand Canyon. So I expext to start using this new gear later in the summer.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Enjoy assembly of your system, I look forward to the images you produce sounds an amazing setup.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Update on the use of 31mm filters with the ASI2600.
Up 'till now I have had success with my flats taking care of the vignetting in the images using 31mm filters with the 2600. But I'm currently processing my images of NGC 2264 (Christmas Tree Cluster) and have run into problems. The nebulosity of this object covers the entire FOV and even with the flats calibrating out the gradients the corners are showing some significant vignetting and I will need to crop. Looks like 36mm filters are really necessary for this camera.

I will need to buy a new FW to accommodate the 36mm filter size and new filters. However, finding them right now is hard as they are backordered everywhere. I'd like to go with Astrodon (that is what I have now in 31mm) but I think I'll try the Chroma brand this time. Maybe my 31mm filters will go up for sale later this year assuming I can get the replacements.