ZWO ASI183mm-c?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

ZWO ASI183mm-c?

Post by Gordon »

I have a ASI1600mm-c, ASI 174mm-c and ASI120mc.

I’m looking at the subject camera to use on my ES80ed scope mainly for deep sky. My 1600 gets used mostly for narrow band, so I’m looking to find something I can use to capture faster during the shorter spring and summer nights. I see we have a few members using the ASI183 and thought I would get opinions.

Thanks!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: ZWO ASI183mm-c?

Post by Gordon »

After doing a bit more research, I’m thinking the ASI533mc might be a better way to go.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Well,

I pulled the trigger.

New ZWO ASI533MC Pro is on the way......
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Sorry for the late response, -45C slows me down! :lol:

I own both the cameras you were considering. Each has their limits and issues. I just finished looking at data I took with the 533 on a Full moon back on Nov 1 2020. Even while using a Optolong L-eHance filter at least 90 degrees away from the moon I wouldn't spend much time on trying to make a good image out of that sows ear!.
My ZWO ASI183MM Pro has a whole other issue.

I have gather a lot of data with my 183 and NB filters. And while I followed recommended workflows, reducing the Chip Amp Glow gave me a flat forehead! APP and PixInSight both failed miserably at the task. When I was about ready to pitch the thing in a snowbank I looked at my Icons on my computer screen. Hmmmm, would DSS be the answer? Yup, a absolutely free program kicked overpriced ones to the curb!!!!!

One thing a lot of people seem to overlook with the 183 is the well depth! It is fast and sensitive BUT one has to be careful not to overdo the single exposures.

I have used both cameras in both a 8: SW Astrograph and a Tiny 61mm SharpStar EDPHII refractor. When a person keeps in mind the limits of each, they both can serve you well.

The 533 is a great camera to use IF you need a break from NB processing! :lol:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

OhNo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:45 pm Sorry for the late response, -45C slows me down! :lol:

I own both the cameras you were considering. Each has their limits and issues. I just finished looking at data I took with the 533 on a Full moon back on Nov 1 2020. Even while using a Optolong L-eHance filter at least 90 degrees away from the moon I wouldn't spend much time on trying to make a good image out of that sows ear!.
My ZWO ASI183MM Pro has a whole other issue.

I have gather a lot of data with my 183 and NB filters. And while I followed recommended workflows, reducing the Chip Amp Glow gave me a flat forehead! APP and PixInSight both failed miserably at the task. When I was about ready to pitch the thing in a snowbank I looked at my Icons on my computer screen. Hmmmm, would DSS be the answer? Yup, a absolutely free program kicked overpriced ones to the curb!!!!!

One thing a lot of people seem to overlook with the 183 is the well depth! It is fast and sensitive BUT one has to be careful not to overdo the single exposures.

I have used both cameras in both a 8: SW Astrograph and a Tiny 61mm SharpStar EDPHII refractor. When a person keeps in mind the limits of each, they both can serve you well.

The 533 is a great camera to use IF you need a break from NB processing! :lol:
Thanks for the reply,

Basically I will be using this for DSO's I saw the amp glow issues with the ASI183MC and decided to go with the 533. The 533 is a "newer" sensor for ZWO (it's about a year now since they came out. My ASI1600mm-C has been my go-to for narrowband. But what I'm hoping for is something that I can do Live Stacking with and save some time. We will see. I will post some 1st light photos when I get it.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Under my sky (Bortle 1-2) I have never taken darks for the 533. Some owners are reporting hot pixel issue with the 533. The 533 is a pretty darned good can=mera with the backlit sensor and a fair price point!

I sure you'll enjoy it.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D