Planet and Lunar Imaging Train Equipment Recommendations

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Planet and Lunar Imaging Train Equipment Recommendations

Post by Kerry C. »

Some recommendations please. I am gathering the equipment needed for planet and lunar photography. This is what I have so far.
Scope....Celestron C8 (2032mm)
Imaging Camera.... Qhyccd 5iii462C with IR850 filter and IR UV filter.
Mount....HEQ5 Pro
I’m pretty sure I’ll need a 2x Barlow which brings me to my first question.
I’m willing to spend up to $200 U.S. for a good Barlow if I have to, obviously I don’t want to spend that much if I don’t need to, but do I need to? I don’t want to buy now and then buy again later because I didn’t get what I should have the first time.
So photography Barlow recommendations please.

Next, I have looked through photos of setups and noticed some use a diagonal and some don’t. I have both Celestron 2” and Explorer Scientific 2” Diagonals so if it is better to use a diagonal I am covered there. They are both claim the 99% reflectivity and both step down to 1.25”
So, should I use a diagonal or not?

Next, is there any other items required/needed to complete the imaging train?
Thanks,
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Planet and Lunar Imaging Train Equipment Recommendations

Post by sdbodin »

As for the barlow, just about any will do, since the planet cam has such a small chip it is just looking at the center of the field where aberrations are minimal. Personally, I use old camera 2x and 3x tele-extenders that were designed for SLR cameras to magnify your prime lens in the days before zoom lenses. Picked up some at the local pawn shop for $10 apiece, all are wide field and some are even triplets.

No diagonal, just another optical surface that will get in the way and not needed, just use an extension tube. The needed SCT to T thread camera adapter will work fine and a T to C will fit the QHY camera ensuring a solid connection without an inch and a quarter extension tube with the possibility of a small wedge component added by the thumb-screws.

Just my thoughts,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

I'll have to amend my post as the QHY462 needs the included UV/IR filter to work which fits the included C to 1.25 adapter. So, you got to get to 1.25 tube and have to suffer the possibility of wedge and falling to the ground when the screw inevitably loosens unnoticed in the dark. If you are on grass, don't worry happens to all of us. Otherwise, hope it bounces, again, happens to all of us.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

You probably won’t need a barlow for the moon as that camera and scope are high magnification. For the moon you will actually need a focal reducer or a different camera.

For Jupiter or Saturn it may work well as is, but a barlow will bring things closer.

This web site will help greatly to see how things work:

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

You can select scope, camera, and target and see a clear view of what you will get for images and frame size.
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Kerry,

You’re limfac for planetary/lunar imaging is focus. You need a way to precisely focus your scope. I use both a Feather Touch micro focuser and a Crayford dual-speed screw-on focuser on my C11. The FeatherTouch was installed to replace the stock focuser on my C 11. The Crayford screws onto the visual back. With a C8 you will need to be careful about imaging too close to the zenith as the Crayford will hit the base of the mount. Fortunately, with planetary/linear imaging you rarely get near the zenith. Here’s a picture showing my setup. Don't pay attention to the focal reducer, I was going after a different object. Additionally, I almost always have a 2X barlow inserted into the Crayford (between the focuser and the camera) to double the FL.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

sdbodin wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:20 pm As for the barlow, just about any will do, since the planet cam has such a small chip it is just looking at the center of the field where aberrations are minimal. Personally, I use old camera 2x and 3x tele-extenders that were designed for SLR cameras to magnify your prime lens in the days before zoom lenses. Picked up some at the local pawn shop for $10 apiece, all are wide field and some are even triplets.

No diagonal, just another optical surface that will get in the way and not needed, just use an extension tube. The needed SCT to T thread camera adapter will work fine and a T to C will fit the QHY camera ensuring a solid connection without an inch and a quarter extension tube with the possibility of a small wedge component added by the thumb-screws.

Just my thoughts,
Steve
Steve, thanks for the input. I ordered the SCT to 2” adapter with a 1.25 compression insert. I also ordered 1.25” 2x tele-extender that QHY camera will go in. The included filters that came with the camera screw directly onto the camera.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Ed217 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:03 pm You probably won’t need a barlow for the moon as that camera and scope are high magnification. For the moon you will actually need a focal reducer or a different camera.

For Jupiter or Saturn it may work well as is, but a barlow will bring things closer.

This web site will help greatly to see how things work:

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

You can select scope, camera, and target and see a clear view of what you will get for images and frame size.
Ed,
I already have the flatter reducer for the SCT...first thing I bought after getting that scope.
I have used that site a few times as well as others. Thanks for the input.
Kerry

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

JayTee wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:33 pm Hi Kerry,

You’re limfac for a planetary/lunar imaging is focus. You need a way to precisely focus your scope. I use both a Feather Touch micro focused and a Crayford dual speed screw-on focuser on my C11. The FeatherTouch was installed to replace the stock focuser on my C 11. The Crayford screws onto the visual back. With a C8 you will need to be careful about imaging too close to the zenith as the Crayford will hit the base of the mount. Fortunately, with planetary/linear imaging you rarely get near the zenith. There’s a picture showing my set up.

Cheers,
JT
JT,
Yea, I’m well aware about the limited “stock focusing” capabilities of Celestrons 8” SCT. I’ll need to start shopping and looking at the classifieds for something...just don’t know what route to go yet. Last year I bought Celestrons motorized focuser, it never worked properly and after several hours with tech support it was determined it was bad from stock, so I returned it and got my money back. I then got a Bahtinov mask and had pretty good luck focusing manually with it. Problem is that’s for stars... so I’ll have to do something.
I am open to suggestions as the which way to go though.
Where is the picture?
Kerry