Cold temps led to focuser slippage!

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Cold temps led to focuser slippage!

Post by UlteriorModem »

This is a first for me.

Left a SGP sequence running last night. Went out to recover stuff in the morning. SGP reported a sequence aborted in the wee hours of the morning.

It was sub freezing around that time. Me I was tucked in warm and cozy snoozing away :D

Checked the log and it eluded to the focuser timing out after about 6 tries. Was not moving. Was it 'frozen' no... I 'think' the metal parts in the focuser assembly got so damn cold they shrunk making it so the focuser knob was just spinning not enough pressure on the 'plate' part. It's a Crayford focuser.

Checked it this afternoon and sure enough there was a bit of slippage in the focuser. Now of course it was not -1C out but still there was some slippage in it. Snugged a few screws down and that should not happen again.

But of course...... clouds :)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Cold temps led to focuser slippage!

Post by KathyNS »

I had similar problems. In cold weather, after a flip, the focuser would lose all traction, and the weight of the camera would pull the focuser out to full extension, ending the session. This was a GSO LF linear bearing focuser. I ended up replacing it with a FeatherTouch. No problems with it.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Cold temps led to focuser slippage!

Post by UlteriorModem »

KathyNS wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:57 am I had similar problems. In cold weather, after a flip, the focuser would lose all traction, and the weight of the camera would pull the focuser out to full extension, ending the session. This was a GSO LF linear bearing focuser. I ended up replacing it with a FeatherTouch. No problems with it.

Yea I still have the 'stock' focuser on the astrograph. Never had it totally let go and slip all the way out though. But that's one of the first things I checked it was in more or less 'normal' position.

I think my 'tweaks' will work. Lot cheaper than a feather touch :)

ps; sorry about your skies there K :)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro