Fuji DSLR versus a ZWO?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Fuji DSLR versus a ZWO?

Post by pakarinen »

I might have a chance to get a Fuji X-A1 for cheap and I'm wondering if I should do that or save my pennies and buy a non-cooled ZWO of some kind.

The Fuli has the advantage of interchangeable lenses for non-astro pix and no cables to muck about with, but the ZWO could eventually be run via ASI Air (for more $$$) if I read the literature correctly. The Fuji has not been modified for astro. The Fuji has WiFI so it should be a simple matter to port pix to my laptop for processing / archiving.

Opinions?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Fuji DSLR versus a ZWO?

Post by JayTee »

Starting with the DSLR is typically the better way to go because it is so versatile in so many areas and it's easy to use. The fact that it hooks up to your computer is very important. It allows you to run image acquisition software. You can attach it to the telescope for prime focus, or you can use one of the camera's lenses to shoot through. So I see the DSLR as a better way to go than a CMOS non-cooled Astro dedicated camera for starting your AP journey.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Having used a DSLR that was not astro-modified as compared to the ASI533 or ASI1600, the difference is night and day.

Save your money for a cooled astro camera if you want to do AP, otherwise go with the Fuji where it can have multi-purpose.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Mac wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:34 pm Having used a DSLR that was not astro-modified as compared to the ASI533 or ASI1600, the difference is night and day.

Save your money for a cooled astro camera if you want to do AP, otherwise go with the Fuji where it can have multi-purpose.
Sorry steve, but I completely disagree.

There is so much to learn for all areas of AP that sinking that much money in initially and then finding out that you're not really suited to this side of the hobby, is not the way to go. The DSLR will get you very good results early on and let you decide if you want to spend more money to go further down the rabbit hole. Just remember the movie Contact, "small steps Ellie, small steps."

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

JayTee wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:49 pm
Mac wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:34 pm Having used a DSLR that was not astro-modified as compared to the ASI533 or ASI1600, the difference is night and day.

Sorry steve, but I completely disagree.

There is so much to learn for all areas of AP that sinking that much money in initially and then finding out that you're not really suited to this side of the hobby, is not the way to go. The DSLR will get you very good results early on and let you decide if you want to spend more money to go further down the rabbit hole. Just remember the movie Contact, "small steps Ellie, small steps."

JT

Why are you sorry?

Is one not allowed to have an opinion without be called out for it?
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

While I have Fuji X-a1 (two actually, modified) myself and am happy with it, Steve may very well be right.

For automation and remote access a Canon camera will serve you better. I tried using the WiFi and was not very successful at it. I did not try very hard because I did not need it so YMMV. For AP automation by ASI air you need more than just WiFi. I believe that Ekos needs gPhoto support, many Fujis have that just not the X-a1. ASI air is similar to Ekos.

On the other hand, for AP you can just use a remote timer and forego any kind of automation of your imaging camera. That's what I do. If you have Fuji lenses then why not, it's not a bad way to start. The Fuji X-a1 has one of the best sensors of all DSLRs for AP. Don't pay more than $125 or so because that's about the current rate on EBay.

It will probably never be as good as an astro cam, even when you modify it. For an astro cam you need computer support, a DSLR works stand alone, is cheaper and has a larger sensor for the money that's the scoop pretty much.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I am not that into astrophotography so I got a X-T100 with its 15-45mm kit lens(it has been replaced by the X-T200). Like the X-A1 it has the Bayer colour filter array sensor but the newer 24M pixel version. It gives me the option of nightscape photography and so far I am impressed with the plastic kit lens....it appears that Fujifilm makes cheaper lenses but no bad lenses!
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I think that it’s different for each person. For me, I am glad that I started slowly with no guiding and an unmodded dslr. Had to use an intervalometer at first, then Digicamcontrol to conrol the camera. I moved to a modded dslr and just recently purchased a ASI 533 mc pro.

I learned a ton (literally) by taking “baby steps” and for me, that was the best. Each small step was fun and a big accomplishment. I remember the first time that I successfully drift aligned, wow! The first time that I used Sharpcap to polar align. I set the scope up, ran Sharpcap, had success, broke down everything and couldn’t hardly sleep because of the excitement.

You might find that an unmodded, unguided setup is your “sweet spot”. Or, you can go for the gusto and sling a bunch of cash down hoping that you can figure it all out.

The ASI camera is a big jump from the dslr, but a bigger bite out of the wallet more skills to master too.

I’m learning a lot and probably always will. The hole that I fell into has very steep sides and thankfully I have a big parachute (retirement funding) to slow my fall.

It is a wonderful and rewarding hobby. Enjoy whatever sounds good and fits your goals. Just watch where you are walking. The rabbit hole is nearby!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
mbocca United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbocca »

I am not quite in the retirement phase, but am looking forward to that in ~8 years or so. One thing my wife and I always discuss is "Its a Hobby, not a Hurry". Her passion is quilting, which doesn't sound too expensive, but it is a very expensive hobby. Not quite astrophotography though.

In general, our approach is to purchase something and master it, then move on. It is like peeling a very large onion. Once one layer is removed, there are still more underneath it with a whole new set of problems.

My suggestion is to go at the pace that is comfortable. If the x-a1 is a small investment and there is something to be learned, it may be worth it to take the step. I know processing a DSLR image requires a lot less steps, so the learning there needs to be considered as well.

Good luck with your decision.
Mike
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Edge 1100HD, Orion ST80
Mounts: Celestron CGE Pro, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro, Nikon D7100, Orion SSAG, ZWO ASI120MC
Control Software: Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, ASCOM, Stellarium
Post Processing: PixInsight, GIMP 2.0
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

I'm a member of the step by step school of thought. If I had bought the equipment I have now on day one I really don't think I would have got my head round setting it up and using it. The frustration of failed sessions would have done my head in! The path to where I am now has been one of a thousand steps, the understanding and mastering (mostly!) of each step has allowed me to get to where I am. And I have a good understanding of where to go next (once I can afford a mono camera and some filters!)

All I need now is some clear skies to get some practice in!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Interesting read, as I have been going through a thought process parallel to the discussion. I came into the forum as I was looking to find my place in the hobby. I was undecided, impressed by deep sky, and none too interested in the solar system. Then I ventured into buying an ASI 224MC and Mars came along. I have gained a much greater interest in planetary work.

Still, I knew that as winter approached that I wanted to explore some of the bright nebulae and larger objects. That drew me to purchase the Altair refractor, as at heart I am a refractor enthusiast. So now the quandary begins. Do I need a cooled deep-sky camera? It sounds a logical step and if I want, I have the money available to spend.

I looked at the ASI533MC, nice camera but with the standard x1 flattener I have the FOV, is not wide enough. So, a reducer, well I would need to go for a 0.6. That would give me the FOV, but I would probably need to go for heavy cropping due to vignetting and lack of flattness. Hmm...

I know a 294MC with a 0.8 flattened will do this, the cost was creeping past £1,000. Now, are my skills good enough to qualify that spend?

Back to the FOV calculator. This time I looked at comparing my existing DSLR. It would do the job, and with my existing kit. Admittedly not to the standard of a cooled camera, but I can play around and see what I'm capable of. When I get limited by the Canon EOS 100D, I can look to move on the next stage.

In the end, this is what I am going to do. I am still going to splash some cash though - I have ordered a £15 Bathinov mask for my 80ED.

Baby steps indeed.

Clear skies all.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Mac wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:10 am Why are you sorry?

Is one not allowed to have an opinion without be called out for it?
I just didn't want to sound impudent because I respect your opinion.

Cheers,
JT

BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

I have used several Fuji cameras -- all either X-A1s or X-A2s. Modded and non-modded. Great way to begin.

I would avoid getting an astro-camera that is NOT cooled. The Fuji cameras work quite well without the cooling but the astro-cameras do not (at least from what I have read elsewhere) unless you're doing short exposures for doing the moon or the planets.

Like Henk said, you should be able to get one for less than $125. I was patient on ebay and got a Fuji X-A2 for $90 on ebay last year.

Make sure you also get an intervalometer.

I have gone to great lengths to use the Wi-Fi function on the X-A1. It's the one part of the camera that really disappoints -- everyone who has tried says the same thing. However, that's really not a problem. Just use an 8gb or 16gb memory card. Works great.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Sandy04 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Sandy04 »

I briefly owned an X-T100 for astro which had an excellent sensor, but was let down by awful live view. No native astro software integration like most Canon or Nikon bodies though, if that is important to you.

There's little point going for an uncooled astro cam for DSOs over a MILC/DSLR. Either get a cheap regular camera or save up for a TEC cooled astro cam.

Recent Fujifilm bodies have amongst the highest Ha response of any brand unmodified camera, btw.