Filter Drawer?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Filter Drawer?

Post by Kerry C. »

I hope I put this question in the correct forum.
If you have used a filter drawer or know about them would you please give me your thoughts on using them in your telescope imaging train. I would like to use it between my TS Optics102mm scope and the ASI294MC Pro camera. I don't yet want to get a filter wheel and using the drawer seems like it would make swapping out filters, or no filter, much easier while still keep the camera FOV orientation the same. Here is an example of what I am referring to. https://agenaastro.com/shop-by-brand/zw ... UQQAvD_BwE
Thanks,
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Filter Drawer?

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Kerry,

I have an Explore Scientific ED102 with a ASI 533 mc pro. I am ordering the filter drawer in your link today. I emailed Agena and ZWO and they confirmed that this filter drawer is a drop in replacement for the 21mm T2 extender (that I am sure that you are using). I only have two filters, a IDAS LPS D-1 and a Optolong L-Enhance and this drawer will allow me to change filters without removing the camera.

I will probably make sure that it fits, then let my wife give it to me for a stocking stuffer!

Thanks

EDIT: Just ordered it. Thanks for reminding me!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 pm Hi Kerry,

I have an Explore Scientific ED102 with a ASI 533 mc pro. I am ordering the filter drawer in your link today. I emailed Agena and ZWO and they confirmed that this filter drawer is a drop in replacement for the 21mm T2 extender (that I am sure that you are using). I only have two filters, a IDAS LPS D-1 and a Optolong L-Enhance and this drawer will allow me to change filters without removing the camera.

I will probably make sure that it fits, then let my wife give it to me for a stocking stuffer!

Thanks

EDIT: Just ordered it. Thanks for reminding me!
Hi back to you Jim,
Good idea on the stocking stuffer...Santa knows what he wants... :lol:
It looks like it should do what I want it to do. However, I have read a couple of negative reviews on how some size adapters might not fit? Not sure if that is operator error or what yet. I find it hard to believe that ZWO would sell something that doesn't meet its intended purpose. Also it would be nice if ZWO would sell the filter housing/holder separately so you could just drop in a different filter without having to install a new one in the holder, but that is a minor concern.
I am still unsure how the imaging train all fits together, this will be my first set up going from my DSLR to a dedicated astronomy camera. I was hoping that someone that has had experience with using this or another brand would jump in with some helpful advice.
I might just wait to purchase one until after you use yours and can give a report on it.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Kerry,

Mine is on the way. I will post back to this thread when I get it.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I had the ZWO drawer for a few months. It was a pain in the butt to switch out filters but that was only because they were short of stock for just additional drawers.

I've heard they discontinued the drawer just recently. Some newer production runs had a light leak and appear to be made by a different vendor for ZWO. I bought a ZWO 2" 5 pos. filter wheel and now wish I waited for the 7 to become available. I would still be waiting, however.

This is the part I could not get at the time and would make it much easier to swap them out.

https://agenaastro.com/zwo-extra-2-filt ... r-m42.html
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Mac wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:38 pm I had the ZWO drawer for a few months. It was a pain in the butt to switch out filters but that was only because they were short of stock for just additional drawers.

I've heard they discontinued the drawer just recently. Some newer production runs had a light leak and appear to be made by a different vendor for ZWO. I bought a ZWO 2" 5 pos. filter wheel and now wish I waited for the 7 to become available. I would still be waiting, however.

This is the part I could not get at the time and would make it much easier to swap them out.

https://agenaastro.com/zwo-extra-2-filt ... r-m42.html
Mac,
With using the ASI 294 MC Pro (color camera) I was planning on only using one filter (Optolong L Extreme I think) because I’m not shooting mono. So switching out filters often might not be as much of a problem...maybe? Eventually I might go the mono route and then I would hopefully go with the filter wheel.
I am really jumping into this big time, I retire the end of January and want to have as much stuff purchased as I can before that happens. I have a new APO 102 scope, new ASI 294MC Pro camera, dew removal equipment. The next is the filter section and filter(s).
I’m sure I am forgetting some needed stuff but...
On a side note, I sure enjoy looking at the photos you post. Thank you for sharing them. Hopefully I will someday have nice photos like yours to share too.

Kerry

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Well, if only one filter, then save some bucks and use the widget that is included with the camera, sort of looks like a washer with threads on both edges. That's what I do with my 1600MC the 294's predecessor.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Definitely! Good suggestion Steve.

I was supposed to receive the filter drawer today, but it has been delayed (hopefully only until tomorrow).

I only have two 2" filters (IDAS LPS D-1 and L-Enhance) and currently just screw them into the FF/FR. I want the filter drawer so that I can never open up the imaging train.

If I get it in tomorrow, I will post back to this thread, but it looks like you might not need one Kerry.
Jim

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Jim,
I am with you on not having to open the imaging train. I guess I should clarify, "for now I plan on using only 1 filter". I am thinking that as time goes on I may need other filters as well. I just don't know enough to know much at this point. I am still leaning towards a filter tray...
Steve,
However, just putting the filter in the widget is food for thought, thank you.
Question...I do use the 2" filters, correct?
Kerry

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kerry C. wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:50 pm Jim,
I am with you on not having to open the imaging train. I guess I should clarify, "for now I plan on using only 1 filter". I am thinking that as time goes on I may need other filters as well. I just don't know enough to know much at this point. I am still leaning towards a filter tray...
Steve,
Kerry

I plan to use the drawer with my 2” mounted filters. The usps tracking showed an eta of yesterday. Now, it doesn’t show an eta at all, but its getting closer! I’ll let you know Kerry.
Jim

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Kerry C. wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:50 pm
Steve,
Kerry
No, the filter size is 1.25", covers the sensor fine as it snugs right up to the window. Saves even more money.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kerry C. wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:50 pm Jim,

Kerry

Sorry Kerry for taking so long to get back to you. I finally received the drawer! It was supposed to arrive on 11/30, but it took three more days to get here from Mobile AL (about 60 miles away). I have that happen with USPS sometimes.

Took about 30 seconds to install and it simply replaces the 21mm spacer (supplied with the camera). Now, I don't have to pull out the FF/FR out of the focuser to replace the filter.

The only thing a bit different (but doesn't make any difference), is that I installed the camera upside down so that I can have the drawer open in the "up" position. I feel better having it that way so I don't knock it out when moving it around. the drawer is held in by magnets and I don't want to drop the drawer (containing my $200+ filter) on the ground.

Here are some photos.

This is the installed filter drawer with the 21mm spacer shown for comparison (same width).

IMG_0515.jpg

This is the open drawer with a 2" filter installed.

IMG_0516.jpg
Looking forward to giving it a try when the weather clears and the moon wanes. I was going to do a test fit and then give it to my wife to give it to me for Christmas. She said that was stupid. Okay with me!
Jim

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Jim,
Thanks for the photos. I am a visual kind of guy and that really helps.
I like that setup...a lot, but I will probably wait to see how you like it in application before I decide.
Is that your ASI533MC Pro connected to your ES ED102 with the L Enhanced filter?
I was waffling between that filter and the L Extreme. I bought the L Extreme, it should be here in a few days.
Kerry

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kerry C. wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:41 am Jim,
I like that setup...a lot, but I will probably wait to see how you like it in application before I decide.
Is that your ASI533MC Pro connected to your ES ED102 with the L Enhanced filter?
I was waffling between that filter and the L Extreme. I bought the L Extreme, it should be here in a few days.
Kerry
You’re welcome Kerry.
I will let you know. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to try the drawer out in a few days.

Yes, that is the L-Enhance filter and it performs a amazing job on nebulae targets in my Bortle 7-8 skies. Really helps to mitigate ole luna too.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about the L-Extreme. I am sure you will be pleased with it.
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kerry C. wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:41 am Jim,
Kerry

Hi again Kerry,

The filter drawer (with L-Enhance installed) worked well last night. I see no difference between light frames imaged before and after the filter drawer installation.

I have not processed the images from last night (more M42 data), but this is what a single 120 second light frame stretched in K-Stars looks like. Looks good to me.

Thanks
Capture.JPG
Jim

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Jim, thank you for the report. That looks very good, especially for a single frame.
I think I will go ahead and order the drawer because after more research on my part I know now I will be needing more filters. So it only makes sense to get it.
Kerry

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kerry C. wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:45 am Jim, thank you for the report. That looks very good, especially for a single frame.
I think I will go ahead and order the drawer because after more research on my part I know now I will be needing more filters. So it only makes sense to get it.
Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Just to add. I mentioned earlier that I had to place the camera upside down so that the filter drawer opened "up". Of course, the "up" position is rarely a reality because the scope is always angled on the mount, but more importantly when I am carrying the scope inside and out.

It doesn't make any difference if the camera is upside down or not, but it makes me feel better with the drawer opening "up". I also added a rubber band just for extra insurance.

The filter drawer is really is a "drop in". Not only is it helpful to me not to have to open up the optical train to switch filters, also, now I can change filters when I am outside in case I want to change targets from an Ha target to a broadband target.

Thanks, and best of success!
Jim

lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Kerry C. wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:19 pm I hope I put this question in the correct forum.
If you have used a filter drawer or know about them would you please give me your thoughts on using them in your telescope imaging train. I would like to use it between my TS Optics102mm scope and the ASI294MC Pro camera. I don't yet want to get a filter wheel and using the drawer seems like it would make swapping out filters, or no filter, much easier while still keep the camera FOV orientation the same. Here is an example of what I am referring to. https://agenaastro.com/shop-by-brand/zw ... UQQAvD_BwE
Thanks,
Kerry
I have 2 filter sliders, both are from Starizona. I use them on my OSC color camera and sure make things easy to pull out one filter tray and slide in another filter tray depending on what filter I want to use. I have also know people who use them with there Mono cameras. Especially those who are using a RASA where a filter wheel will get in the way.

Beware, there are some filter sliders who are cheaply made and have light leaks, Do your research on what brand you get. I know some people have complained about the ZWO having light leaks, My be fixed by now.

I recommend what ever brand you get, get at least 3 or 4 filter trays. You may not think you need that many, but it's good to have and not need when it comes to something like that. Later on you may get an additional filter and would need a tray for it. or be swapping filters out on the trays. Just my thoughts and advice.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

lostone wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:27 am
Kerry C. wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:19 pm I hope I put this question in the correct forum.
Thanks,
Kerry
I have 2 filter sliders, both are from Starizona. I use them on my OSC color camera and sure make things easy to pull out one filter tray and slide in another filter tray depending on what filter I want to use. I have also know people who use them with there Mono cameras. Especially those who are using a RASA where a filter wheel will get in the way.

Beware, there are some filter sliders who are cheaply made and have light leaks, Do your research on what brand you get. I know some people have complained about the ZWO having light leaks, My be fixed by now.

I recommend what ever brand you get, get at least 3 or 4 filter trays. You may not think you need that many, but it's good to have and not need when it comes to something like that. Later on you may get an additional filter and would need a tray for it. or be swapping filters out on the trays. Just my thoughts and advice.
Lostone,
Thank you. I ended up getting the ZWO filter drawer, with 3 filter trays. I haven’t had clear skies yet to give it a try. But hope soon and hopefully there will be “zero” light leak... fingers crossed.
Kerry