self modification for Fuji X-A2

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

self modification for Fuji X-A2

Post by BABOafrica »

My goal, if possible, is to convert either an X-A1 or X-A2 into a mono camera.

I have a professionally modded X-A1 (LifePixel). I learned a lot from them in the process of getting them to do the mod, (after having tired myself).

A couple of weeks ago, I got a cheap Fuji X-A2 on ebay ($42 including S/H) listed as "For parts only". (Somebody had an accident with his camera, cracking the dust plate and damaging the IR filter on the sensor; but the camera was still taking pictures perfectly.) For me it was the perfect deal.

I decided to try my own astro-mod with this camera. Call it a $40 experiment (having spent $60 a couple of years ago trying to mod an X-A1).

Here's what the camera looks like half way through the mod.
Fuji X-A2 mod 01.jpg
This time around, I knew that the key to success lies in ONE thing: be VERY careful with each one of the ten connectors.

Good news... This time IT WORKED !!!

I suppose I did what they call a "full spectrum" mod since I removed the filter and replaced it with nothing. (The clear plate for dust removal was already broken by the previous owner -- I had to pick out pieces of broken glass...). So, now, there is just a clear sheet of very thin glass in front of the CFA on the sensor.

Below are two photos of some far away trees taken with the camera on my Meade 102mm -- before and after the mod.

Fuji X-A2 pre-mod 01.JPG
Fuji X-A2 modded 01.JPG

My thinking is this: since I have proven that I can do the mod myself, my next step is to try a CFA removal procedure.

I got two Canon EOS Xsi DSLRs on ebay for a total of $30 -- both with defects but in working order. I am going to try to remove the CFA one of those first before I give it a try on another Fuji X-A1.

At this point, I'll try using my three cameras (normal X-A2 / astro-modded XA-1 / full-spectrum modded X-A2) just to do a comparison.

Oh, btw, just so you know, as manufactured by Fujifilm, the X-A1 & X-A2 are practically the same... Both use the same sensor.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: self modification for Fuji X-A2

Post by JayTee »

Joe,

You are a brave, patient, and dedicated man to attempt this. I also see this as a new potential business opportunity for you as I expect others will ask you do the same for their older cameras. In fact, I have a Canon T3i (600D) that would love to be modded.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Wait, you said you wanted to change it into a mono camera. But you did a spectrum mod, which is different. How are you planning on removing the Bayer filters?

BTW If you can do that you are a very skilled person.

As you know I tried to do my own mod on an X-a1 and failed because I broke at least one of the low or medium force connectors, whatever they are called. So I know how tricky it is, good job on making it work!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:04 am Wait, you said you wanted to change it into a mono camera. But you did a spectrum mod, which is different. How are you planning on removing the Bayer filters?
Never mind, I overlooked the line about the CFA removal, which is just that. Well if you can do that and go commercial, I will be a customer!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Are you also going to remove the micro-lenses? If yes, any idea how much that affects the sensitivity?
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:52 am Are you also going to remove the micro-lenses? If yes, any idea how much that affects the sensitivity?

The CFA is between the micro lenses and the photosensors.

Nice pictorial here in case you're interested:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58671517

As far as sensitivity, from what I have read, the sensitivity ends up being about the same.

Anyway, I am going to try the "scrap method" -- just scrapping off the micro lenses and the CFA.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/1663 ... ix/page/2/

I already practiced once with an old sensor left over from my previous attempt to mod an X-A1.

I made a mess but got invaluable experience:

Fuji sensor B&W conversion 01.jpg

Joe // BABO

Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

BABOafrica wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:14 am
SkyHiker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:52 am Are you also going to remove the micro-lenses? If yes, any idea how much that affects the sensitivity?

The CFA is between the micro lenses and the photosensors.

Nice pictorial here in case you're interested:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58671517

As far as sensitivity, from what I have read, the sensitivity ends up being about the same.

Anyway, I am going to try the "scrap method" -- just scrapping off the micro lenses and the CFA.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/1663 ... ix/page/2/

I already practiced once with an old sensor left over from my previous attempt to mod an X-A1.

I made a mess but got invaluable experience:

Joe // BABO
Lol was that the sensor of the camera that I broke and sent you?

I am inspired to try it myself now, I have another X-a1 sitting in a drawer unused. I got it as a spare and because I liked the red color, haha.
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:35 pm
Lol was that the sensor of the camera that I broke and sent you?

I am inspired to try it myself now, I have another X-a1 sitting in a drawer unused. I got it as a spare and because I liked the red color, haha.
You guessed it !!!

I was saving it for this occasion.

Thought you would appreciate that!

Joe // BABO

BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

BTW, before you try a mod on an X-A1 (or any camera), get a spudger. Very important. Cheap also. They are helpful.

You need one to OPEN the "flap" on some of the connectors.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

BABOafrica wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:43 pm BTW, before you try a mod on an X-A1 (or any camera), get a spudger. Very important. Cheap also. They are helpful.

You need one to OPEN the "flap" on some of the connectors.
Thanks, I just did. I was going to ask you about how to open the connectors. That's why I broke that Fuji, because I tried doing it with my nails or screw drivers. Two sets of spudgers on the way. Never heard of a spudger before.

Can you also use a spudger to scrape the CFA off? I look forward to hearing about how you go about it.
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

I have not tried using the spudger on the CFA. I tried a variety of instruments. The spudger is probably too soft...

Anyway, my plan is to try to work on a cheapie Canon 450D that I bought for a few bucks on ebay, as see if I can get that to work before trying on a Fuji camera.

Whatever I do, I will post in this sub-forum. But this will take a while because I'm going back to the US for visit over Thanksgiving weekend.

Joe

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Wherever you go in the US, please be very careful. Take your mask and wear it all the time.

I'm even fearful of having my own children come visit me on Thanksgiving.

Stay safe,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Joe, how are you going to use a filter wheel with your mono DSLR once you have it? I presume you want color from LRGB or narrowband also to limit the bandwidth of the IR you take in. I did a quick search but of course there doesn't seem to be much available.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

You guys (Joe) are tough!

Is it the challenge of the mod, or, an inexpensive way of getting a mono camera? I expect the challenge! Go for it!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:01 pm Joe, how are you going to use a filter wheel with your mono DSLR once you have it? I presume you want color from LRGB or narrowband also to limit the bandwidth of the IR you take in. I did a quick search but of course there doesn't seem to be much available.
I'm not planning on a filter wheel.

Even now, when I use a filter, I have special adapter, which I made myself in the shop.

This adapter allows me to screw in a single filter such that it sits in front of the camera sensor.

It was not a big deal. I just took a tube from an old EP and removed what was superfluous. It allowed me to use the filter threads from the EP tube to hold the filter in place.

I can send pictures if you're interested.

Joe // BABO

BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:58 am Is it the challenge of the mod, or, an inexpensive way of getting a mono camera? I expect the challenge! Go for it!
I guess part of my motivation was the challenge. But it is mostly driven by the expense of buying a dedicated astro camera.

So, yeah, to quote you: I am looking for "an inexpensive way of getting a mono camera".

I have low expectations...

But if it works, then I have a mono camera for REALLY cheap price.

BABO