Buying a Used DSLR for Astrophotography

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Buying a Used DSLR for Astrophotography

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Forum!

I am asking for advice from the DSLR astrophotography members here.

I have been bitten by the N.I.N.A bug. I haven't used the application, but after reading so many positive reports from this and other forums, I feel that it would benefit me quite a bit.

Unfortunately, my Nikon D3300 isn't supported by a software development kit (SDK) amd I can't use it with N.I.N.A. (and most other imaging software). The sensor in the D3300 is the same sensor that is used in the very positively reviewed Nikon D5300 which is supported by SDK (and I would think by N.I.N.A.). I currently use DigicamControl and it does well capturing images, N.I.N.A would give me better dithering control and plate solving would save me time.

So, I decided to look for a D5300 on the used market. I would also like a D5300 because it should work with my current Nikon accessories. I really don't want to spend more than $250 for the body. I do realize that this might be an unreasonably low amount to pay for a used D5300, but since I have the same sensor in the D3300, $250 is about all that I feel like spending for the convenience of better software.

I have been looking on the internet (mostly EBAY) and have found several auctions for the D5300. Some are "Buy it now" and there are a few in the $200-$250 range.

Is it reasonable to look for this camera on the used market in this price range?

Some of the advertisers state the shutter clicks. What do you feel would be appropriately acceptable. I have seen numbers from 11k to 27k.

It seems to me that the lower the shutter clicks, the better. Is this very important?

Does the camera image quality deteriorate over time? Would a used D5300 with a bunch of shutter clicks possibly produce worse image quality than my current D3300?

If some of you have pursued this route (used DSLR), what have been your experiences and do you have any recommendations? Any specific vendor on EBAY?

Is EBAY a safe place to buy a used DSLR?

Is my budget reasonable?

I have looked through the classified ads on another forum and don't see any current listings for an un-modified D5300 in this price range. If I do find a good, used D5300, I plan to astro modify it in the future.

Thank you all for any recommendations/experience that you can share.

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Buying a Used DSLR for Astrophotography

Post by Gordon »

I've had pretty good luck purchasing used cameras on ebay. I've bought 3 different ones. 1 as a gift and 2 for myself. Just make sure you find someone with a good reputation.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Gordon!

That is good to know. By any chance, did you use any of the three dslr's for astro? Good performance?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Jim,

I always recommend picking up a gently used Canon T3i. These cameras can typically be had for less than $300 with their 18-55mm stock lens or less than $250 for body only. They have some of the lowest sensor noise of the Canon "T" series line. It is also the first camera from Canon with an articulated LCD screen. This makes focusing and viewing the LCD so much more convenient and just easier to use. I like them so much, I own two of them I purchased off of eBay. You can't go wrong with this DSLR.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks JT!

Interesting. I have always heard about the Canon T3i and have seen tons of excellent images taken with it.

I was kinda hoping to stay with Nikon because of all of the accessories that I have. However, I looked at some sites and the price for the T3i is very reasonable. Sometimes under $200.
The articulating lcd is cool, but I plan to use the camera with my pc.

I might have to consider that direction. Thank you very much for your comments and experience.

Any idea what is a reasonable range for the shutter clicks, or is that an important point to consider.

Thank you very much!

Jim
Jim

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Both of my T3i cameras had 3k and 8k frames taken by them at the time of purchase. Canon does not give an MTBF for the shutters on "T" series after the T1i. But the general consensus is that it will easily last to 100k frames. Even if I shot 2000 frames a year (grossly overstated by about 60%), that means they'll only last me for another 45 years! So you can see that shutter count doesn't really mean a lot until your above about 80k frames.

And remember that the vast majority of AP software for DSLRs started with Canons. So they have a leg up on the other manufacturers just by longevity of use.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks for letting me know that JT! that really puts the shutter click value into perspective. Wow, you sure got your cameras very early in their life spans.

Definitely the T3i is less expensive than the D5300. Even considering the few accessories that I would need to get started. I am going to look at prices for awhile and make a choice soon.

I know that you are in a warm climate. How do your Canon's perform in warm temperatures?

You have been into the AP game for awhile and I definitely appreciate the information!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

JayTee wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:34 pm I always recommend picking up a gently used Canon T3i.....
My T3i came from ebay. (We call them 600D! :D ) It has a 40000 shutter count but it's doing ok. It was only £180 (about $220) It came with 4 batteries thankfully and an attachment for powering it with two batteries at once. I haven't used it with the lens yet!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks guys. I have heard so much good about the T3i and I started watching them on eBay. Graeme, that is a nice low shutter count. All of the T3i’s on EBay had about 20k on the shutter, not too bad either.
A Nikon D5300 popped up there a few days ago and I snapped it up. Shutter count at 3200 for $245. The Nikon should work well and I already have many Nikon accessories and lenses. Should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks all for the help and advice!

Jim
Jim