If You Can’t Shoot Lights, Shoot Darks

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

If You Can’t Shoot Lights, Shoot Darks

Post by Juno16 »

Evening All,

I have had the ASI 533 mc pro for about a week now and haven’t even got close to a clear night.

Looks like I have a while to go before I get a clear one, so I decided to shoot a darks library (or start on one). Unfortunately, I really am not sure what exposure length to use.

I was shooting my Nikon D5300 at iso 400 for 240 seconds on a good night and as low as 120 seconds in the moonlight. That is with a F7 scope reduced to 5.6 with an IDAS LPS D-1 filter.

I shot my summer set tonight at 0C. Exposures of 60, 120, 180, and 240 seconds at unity gain (100).

Just having the ability to shoot darks in a dark spare room at a set sensor temperature is worth the cost of the camera without any other benefits!

I think that since I still have several nights of clouds in front of me, I will shoot a set for 300 seconds at 0C and then repeat the routine at -10C.

If anyone has converted from dslr to dedicated OSC astrocamera has any suggestions on a dark library, please share.

Question:

I bought a 3 meter usb 3 cable to add to the ASI supplied 2 meter cable to connect to my imaging laptop. I quickly realized that it doesn’t work at that distance (3 meters max), so I connected a usb2 extension cable. The usb 2 extension cable is 3 meters long on top of the ASI 2 meter cable and it works fine. Even with the focuser connected to the usb 2 hub on the camera. File transfer to the ssd seems quick. The darks look fine with no amp glow at all.

I did order a one meter usb 3 extension cable to add to the 2 meter ASI usb 3 cable. I think it will be long enough to work.

Just wondering if anyone else uses usb 2 with their usb 3 camera.

Thanks!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Re: If You Can’t Shoot Lights, Shoot Darks

Post by starfield »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:12 am

Thanks!
Hi Jim,

A while back I inadvertently hooked up a 2.0 cable to my 294mc and it worked fine, for the most part. I did notice the capture started to lag when I was shooting dark flats (super fast) but it still worked. This leads me to think you might run into issues if you were doing lucky imaging on planets, but I haven't tested this.

Steve
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: If You Can’t Shoot Lights, Shoot Darks

Post by Juno16 »

starfield wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:31 am
Juno16 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:12 am

Thanks!
Hi Jim,

A while back I inadvertently hooked up a 2.0 cable to my 294mc and it worked fine, for the most part. I did notice the capture started to lag when I was shooting dark flats (super fast) but it still worked. This leads me to think you might run into issues if you were doing lucky imaging on planets, but I haven't tested this.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That makes sense. I don’t plan on doing any video or planetary, so, I should be good there.

I will try the 1 meter usb 3 extension cable when it comes in though. Even if it works, I might stick with the usb 2 cable just for the extra few feet of length. I really don’t feel like messing with an active usb3 cable if I don’t need to. I’m just going to the laptop outside.

Thanks gor your thoughts!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/