Celestron AVX Bubble Level

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Celestron AVX Bubble Level

Post by Ed217 »

I needed a better way to level the Celestron AVX mount. Some searching yielded a 3D printable device that fits over the existing mount. Found a local guy from the rocket club who had a printer. Sent him the specs, he printed it, and this was what resulted.

The orange part is a simple level from Lowes with pre-drilled holes. The black part was 3D printed with matching holes. Screwed the two together and put on the scope. Works great!
Attachments
IMG_1619.png
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: Celestron AVX Bubble Level

Post by seigell »

You still perform full Polar Alignment, right??

"Level and North" are just the 1st Step in Polar Alignment (and given the Alt and AZ Adjusters - neither is too essential).
"Level and North" are stressed in the setup because most Visual Users are in for "shortcuts" like Planetary or 1-Star Alignments...

But... That Bubble Level definitely looks like it Belongs!! Even approximates the Celestron Orange!!
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

seigell wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:52 pm You still perform full Polar Alignment, right??
Yes, absolutely. Before my only option was to level only the tripod before mount and scope were added. Now I can level more accurately before the real work starts.

Ed
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

That is very clever! Thanks for sharing the pic.:)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

Starzona sells a similar device for about $25 delivered, so the idea is to their credit. Being an engineer, the idea of making one seemed natural.

The bubble level part from Lowes (and other similar stores) seemed bigger and easier to use., and costs $4.08. My rocket friends already had shown rocket fins and other things they made with 3D printers. A simple query to the rocket club Facebook page yielded a member who wanted to test his new device more. The design specs were already online at Thingiverse. A couple of days later the device showed up here in the mail. The bright orange color makes it stand out some in the night.

When it stops raining and the skies clear some, I’ll find out how well it works in the real world.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Great stuff Ed, you don’t happen to have the printer files do you? I have a buddy who could run off one for me. Currently I am using a round one that just fits in to the hole where the tripod screw Attaches the mount. But post build like this would be a real bonus.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

Greenman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:06 am Great stuff Ed, you don’t happen to have the printer files do you? I have a buddy who could run off one for me. Currently I am using a round one that just fits in to the hole where the tripod screw Attaches the mount. But post build like this would be a real bonus.
Here is where I got the files:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3062413

A google of :Thingiverse avx bubble

will get a few hits of similar versions
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Ed217 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:15 am
Greenman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:06 am Great stuff Ed, you don’t happen to have the printer files do you? I have a buddy who could run off one for me. Currently I am using a round one that just fits in to the hole where the tripod screw Attaches the mount. But post build like this would be a real bonus.
Here is where I got the files:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3062413

A google of :Thingiverse avx bubble

will get a few hits of similar versions
That’s so cool cheers Ed.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447