alternative for Astrodon filters

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

alternative for Astrodon filters

Post by KathyNS »

I see that Astrodon has been bought out by Farpoint, and some of the old Astrodon filters are out of stock. Does anyone have a recommendation for something equivalent? I'd prefer the Astrodon, since they are parfocal with each other. But I'm willing to look elsewhere if the Astrodons are going to be hard to find.

I am looking for a 36mm unmounted 5nm Oiii.

[edit]What would be the effect of mixing an 8.5nm filter with my existing 5nm filter? I see someone has one for sale second-hand.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: alternative for Astrodon filters

Post by dcrowson »

Chroma is the goto these days. Astrodon has largely fallen out of favor at the high-end.

https://www.chroma.com/

Dan
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: alternative for Astrodon filters

Post by yobbo89 »

Dosn't astrodon do orders to make? Second in line is chroma, they even do custom filters, I got my nii filter from them,took about a month to make/order.

I think going different nm width gives you slightly different star fwhm profiles, not too hard to process with psf. If you have lots of lp, I'd probs would get something tighter then 8.5nm

If you use a oag then you'll probably definitely want the same brand for parfocal.

Also at an expense , I'm sure chroma can make a filter at a given substrate thickness to match your astrodons. But it ain't cheap..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .