Astro Imaging Setup Ideas

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Astro Imaging Setup Ideas

Post by Ed217 »

In the last year or so I’ve gotten back into astronomy. It’s been a learning experience to say the least. When I started I still had an old 4 inch reflector from probably at least 30 years ago. It had a polar mount and a couple of eyepieces in the less than 1.25 inch variety. I decided I wanted to get newer gear, and in particular, something with motors and a GOTO capability.

At the start I was looking at mostly just visual things. That was all I had done in the past 50+ years since I started as a teen ager. You look in an eyepiece and see neat stuff. It didn't take long to find that my interest in photography also carried over in the astro world. I’d been doing photo stuff for decades, and over the last few years with various cameras and lens combos for picture taking. That expanded into drone photography, in which I still am very active.

After doing some searching (not clearly enough I found out later), I settled on getting a Meade Starnavigator NG 130mm f/7.7 GoTo Reflector. It seemed great at first. Setup was easy and the GOTO part worked well for finding the common things people look at in their first month. Then I tried astrophotography with it and that didn't work at all. So after a month or two (going back and forth with Meade) I gave up, did more research, and bought a Celestron 8SE. That has worked great in all areas so far. I later added an AVX polar mount which helped even more.

So my basic question is what tips and tricks others have found for setup things, layout, tear down, etc...that make life easier for those who start this hobby just before sunset and go well into the night.

Here are a few things I found that do help:

1. I have a big container that holds all the assorted small gear. I put each into a zip lock bag that is clearly labeled. Finder scope, cameras, cords, etc.

2. I bought a 2x4 foot folding table. I put a solid yellow towel across it as that keeps stuff from sliding around and makes them easy to see in the dark.

3. I drive an electric car and power most of my gear from the cig lighter. A long cord from that goes to a 300W A/C converter that produces 110V out. I use a white extension cord to go from car to scope/table. White is easy to see at night so you don’t trip on it.

4. I got a large portable hard drive that I connect to the laptop. I store all astro imaging data there. Then carry in inside later to transfer to desktop systems.

5. I got a small USB hub that I velcro to the tripod legs. Then all camera, scope, and mount connections go to it and a single USB cable to the laptop. Less cord tangle that way.

6. I use a motorized focuser. I keep a small spreadsheet database to show the common focus values for the different gear combos. Each camera, eyepiece, focus reducer, combo...has a different focus value. While they are never exact, they provide a good place to start to be in close focus.

7. I got a small fold-able wagon with big wheels (like the ones people use at the beach) to haul the little stuff around. It will hold all except the scope, mount and tripod. In places where setup is further from the car, it’s way easier than 15 trips carrying one big item at a time.

What ideas and tricks have others here found that help? What are the time savers? What to you do to speed up the setup and tear down process? What things help with overall image quality?
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Astro Imaging Setup Ideas

Post by Star Dad »

I'd be very careful about your inverter. Most of them are actually square wave not sinusoidal and square waves can wreak havoc on sensitive electronics. It sounds like you go out in the field for doing your AP. If you are on a hard surface you might want anti-vibration pads for the mount. These can be as simple as squishy foam (ie sound dampening ) put in a small rigid plastic cup - or you can buy them. If in the dirt than I'd suggest some sort of simple flat pad - ie small pieces of lumber to put the mount legs on so it doesn't sink into the ground and throw off your leveling.

I bought a rigid water resistant case with foam inserts to store all my lenses and most of my important accessories (ie filters/barlow). All my other ones go into a Rubbermaid tub - and the OTA rests in a cradle which sits on top it in my mini-van which provides shock absorbtion while driving. I use a (garden trolley to wheel things around and I made a plywood ramp to wheel the loaded trolley into the van. (This is aimed at those of us that use a van - not a car). On the trolley I made a table which is zip tied to it. Allows for more stuff to be carried and serves a dual purpose in the field as a portable table.

Other than that, yeah, sounds like you are doing most of what I do.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

So far the inverter has worked well. I started using it a few years ago with drone related things. I do launch video for a local rocket club and need to recharge batteries. It’s easier than walking back to a facility.

The only electrical related issue so far has been the length of the USB cable from the USB Hub to the laptop. When I used a 3 meter cable, had lots of drop outs. When I got a 2 meter one, the problem went away.

Most of what I have done so far has been video stream related, were tripod stability has been less of an issue. I’ve done very little DSO things so far, but have plans to change that. I only recently bought a guide cam (ASI120MM-S), but have yet to actually use it.

I kept the box that the scope and mount came in. They were form fitted, which works well. I use duck tape to make the edges more sturdy and long lasting. When I bought the AVX mount, it came with a free Celestron C6N scope. I have since bought a foam carry bag for it, but have yet to use it on a evening out anywhere. I think the bag cost more than the scope (which at the time was a $100 add on).

I only have a couple of eye pieces, but rarely use them. They are in zip lock bags and those in a small Tupperware like storage container (along with other smaller parts in bags). I have a couple different sized storage tubs I take along. I have one very large one, for the rare cases where other astro folks are around and the laptop light poses a problem. I lay on the side which controls the light better and can cover with a blanket when I might be not sitting there.

Almost everything I do is EAA related. I use the ASI294MC Pro camera for alignment via the laptop. It has about the same FOV as a 25mm eyepiece. I use the same to align the finder scope with the scope, using a mountain top or some other far away visible object during daylight setup. At least once I forgot to turn mount tracking back on after finderscope alignment….OW everything drifts…
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ed217 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:01 pm
2. I bought a 2x4 foot folding table. I put a solid yellow towel across it as that keeps stuff from sliding around and makes them easy to see in the dark.

7. I got a small fold-able wagon with big wheels (like the ones people use at the beach) to haul the little stuff around. It will hold all except the scope, mount and tripod. In places where setup is further from the car, it’s way easier than 15 trips carrying one big item at a time.

I'm not into AP (yet?), but I think #2 and #7 are excellent ideas in general.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Ed217 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 am ... I do launch video for a local rocket club and need to recharge batteries. It’s easier than walking back to a facility.
As an aside ... what rocket club? I am a member of MDRA.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Make a Dew box to protect your Laptop. I am not sure how much dew you get, but where I live which is not too far from you. I am in the Philly area and I get soaking dew about 80% of the time.

You can buy some kind of plastic storage container to house your laptop in or make one yourself. I used a few layers of thick cardboard and covered the whole box in mylar with adhesive spray (I had a roll of mylar lying around from a project I was working on prior). I then spray painted it flat black with waterproof spray paint. The main reason for using mylar was that I already had it and thought it would be good to cover it and I knew it was waterproof but any kind of material that is waterproof can be added and glued to it.

The box I made has lasted me 3+ years and still strong. I even made another one this year so I can fit my 22" LCD inside of it and rest it on my closed lid laptop and use a wireless keyboard and mouse when I do planets as my monitor screen is horrible especially looking at an angle and can not see details for focusing. At the end of the night, my Dew boxes are literally soaked on the top but the inside always stays nice and dry.

Also to mention that at the end of night/early morning, I can toss wires and such in it for easy carry storage back to the house.
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

XCalRocketMan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:15 pm
Ed217 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 am ... I do launch video for a local rocket club and need to recharge batteries. It’s easier than walking back to a facility.
As an aside ... what rocket club? I am a member of MDRA.
New River Valley Rocketry

http://nrvr.org/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NRV.Rocketry

Lots of video in the media area from launch events.