Starting Out

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
ChrisP90
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Starting Out

Post by ChrisP90 »

Hi Guys and Gals,

Firstly, if there are any stickies or better threads on this, I apologise. I took a quick look, but wouldn’t not be at all surprised if i missed something.

I’m looking for a bit of advice.
I’ve been stargazing for a little bit of time now, using my Skywatcher Heritage 130P. I’ve really enjoyed, but I truly believe that my hobby will end with Astrophotography.

However, I am a complete newbie to this and when searching online, my mind has been blown with the amount of information readily available.

I was hoping for some advice from you all on how to start.

I have no equipment currently other than my 130P along with my eye pieces and a 2x Barlow.

I suppose my main question is do I need to invest in a “better” telescope to begin AP. Do I need a more powerful scope or a better mount?
I will be looking at Lunar and Planetary AP to begin, as I believe it’s the easiest way to learn and will allow me to learn the editing process also.
Alternatively, is my current telescope enough to do this if I purchase a camera? I’ve been looking at the ZWO ASI 224MC or possibly spending the extra £30 on the 290MC.

I am just looking at how best to spend my money to allow an entry into the hobby.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone has any links to any guides that helped them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CP.
Telescope: Skywatcher Heritage 130P
Camera: Canon EOS 450D
Complete Novice, hoping to build my collection and in turn my signature! :D
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Starting Out

Post by JayTee »

Hi CP,

Please read this first. viewtopic.php?f=94&t=10954

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

ChrisP90
Earth Ambassador

Post by ChrisP90 »

Hi JT,

That’s brilliant - I knew there would be a thread lying about somewhere(!).

Much appreciated!

Thanks,
CP.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

ChrisP90 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 pm I’ve been stargazing for a little bit of time now, using my Skywatcher Heritage 130P. I’ve really enjoyed, but I truly believe that my hobby will end with Astrophotography.

Hello CP

We look forward to seeing your images.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
ChrisP90
Earth Ambassador

Post by ChrisP90 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:34 am
ChrisP90 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 pm I’ve been stargazing for a little bit of time now, using my Skywatcher Heritage 130P. I’ve really enjoyed, but I truly believe that my hobby will end with Astrophotography.

Hello CP

We look forward to seeing your images.

Regards

Graeme
Hi Graeme,

Thanks!
Hopefully, at some point before I turn 30 in October I will have made a decision on my next scope ready to start building towards AP.

Cheers,
CP.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

OH NOOOOOO! Another one about to go down the rabbit hole - only to discover that it is a back hole that will suck every penny/shilling/rupie, whatever you have. You'll be able to do AP on the moon but I suspect you'll have a tough time with anything else without a tracking mount. There's a lot of advice already stored within the halls of this forum. I'd suggest reading through it and then asking advice on specifics. Best of luck!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
ChrisP90
Earth Ambassador

Post by ChrisP90 »

Thanks Stardad.

I have heard the horrors of being sucked into AP and have already prepared for the impending arguments with the other half! :lol:

That has been my initial thought, whilst the Heritage has been great for capturing my interest, it is clearly not suitable for any form of AP due to lack of tracking.

My first thought has moved away from purchasing a camera initially into slowly building the correct set-up.
What I don’t want to do is end up spending my money on the incorrect items and then losing interest quickly.
I would rather build slowly and get it right! (I hope anyway!)

Thanks for the advice,
CP.
gcisko United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Star Dad wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:30 pm OH NOOOOOO! Another one about to go down the rabbit hole - only to discover that it is a back hole that will suck every penny/shilling/rupie, whatever you have. You'll be able to do AP on the moon but I suspect you'll have a tough time with anything else without a tracking mount. There's a lot of advice already stored within the halls of this forum. I'd suggest reading through it and then asking advice on specifics. Best of luck!
You can take great images o fthe sky with a DSLR and tripod. No tracking needed... But you do still need some post processing.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
F/7 Focal Reducer | Powertank | Orion 7x50 Binoculars
Astrotech AT72ED | Star Adventurer by SkyWatcher
Eyepieces: Tele Vue 32mm WideField & 6mm Ethos | Nagler - 9mm & 16mm Type 2
Filters: Lumimcon & Baader OIII, Baader Sky & Moon Glow, 13% Moon
ASIair Pro & ZWO ASI533MC
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Welcome to the forum, and the hobby, a quick way to get an idea of equipment might be to look at the members gallery images and compare to the gear their using. A good rule of thumb is :
Crap gear = Crap images..... theres nothing more frustrating than not being able to accurately track your target..... you will see most images are up to 5 minutes long ... my mount is good for 10 seconds or so .... All the best of luck with the gear and the mrs .....Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Chris,

Here's another read for you: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3129 (skip down to the bottom of the article to see the pictures that can be accomplished with this setup.)

This is one way to start down the "hole" without spending too much to start. If I'm not mistaken you already have a Canon 600D, yes? Whenever you're ready to build a signature that would be great too.

Also, please go to the introductions forum and tell us a bit about yourself and what you hope to accomplish/see/experience, etc with our amazing hobby/pursuit/avocation.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

ChrisP90
Earth Ambassador

Post by ChrisP90 »

JT,

Thanks for another useful link, I shall take a proper look at it when I get chance but from a quick scan, looks highly beneficial for me!

I do, although, it seems to be dying a slow death at the moment.

I shall take a look at building a signature, I haven’t been as active as I’d have liked on here but will definitely be using it far more frequently! It’s been extremely helpful for me so will definitely be utilising it more!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Sorry to hear about this life changing event. Stay strong, a positive attitude will always help out when things like this happens and things seem to be their worst.
I suggest an hour with your favourite eyepiece and telescope to help get you over this. ;)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

ChrisP90 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:54 pm Thanks Stardad.

I have heard the horrors of being sucked into AP and have already prepared for the impending arguments with the other half! :lol:
Ah a common problem, but some better half’s can surprise you, one night in June I sat down with Sue and discussed expanding my kit to enable better AP. when she said “how much?” I replied £1,700, her comment was if you can cut a couple of hundred off, then OK.

After getting back in my chair, I went John McEnroe “You cannot be serious?” She was it happens. My boys toys fascination had become serious, and she could see this was not a flash in the pan hobby.

So the old salesman’s wisdom works, and if you don’t ask you don’t get :D
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Yeah, this "hobby" does take a lot of money. Last night I was just going to try for Mars (that's another thread). So I was going to get started after the wifey went to bed. But as it got dark she asked if I wanted to go out and get started early, and she'd wait till I got the first set of images started. We don't get many clear nights and the Moon was to be out so I had not even put a plan together. I nearly fell out of our love seat. So I guess she has totally bought into my passion. I guess I indulge her genealogy quest, so it's all about quid pro quo.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
ChrisP90
Earth Ambassador

Post by ChrisP90 »

Hi all,
I’ve been having a dig around, reading multiple posts within the forum and outside and have a couple of questions on some setups if anyone can help.

I’ve had a look at a couple from FLO.
The first one is the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro with HEQ5 Pro mount.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-se ... 5-pro.html

A few comments have noted this can be a good starter set-up for AP and with a ratio of f/7.5 although not perfect, may allow me to start with some planetary imagine but should also be fast enough to do some very basic and limited DSO imaging? Or am I completely wrong?

The second set up I’ve pondering is to stick with the HEQ5 mount but upgrade to the Esprit 80ED Pro Triplet.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/esprit ... iplet.html

It’s considerably more expensive and has a more “restrictive” f/5.
Noting JTs threads, that may not be suitable for any planetary imaging?

I’m not expecting miracles or perfect images, just something to start with.

Is the Esprit worth waiting for to save the additional money, or am I still looking in the complete wrong direction.
I’ve also looked at some Celestron scopes but I have less understanding of those.

Thanks!
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:51 am Ah a common problem, but some better half’s can surprise you, one night in June I sat down with Sue and discussed expanding my kit to enable better AP. when she said “how much?” I replied £1,700, her comment was if you can cut a couple of hundred off, then OK.

Would you have got away with starting bidding at £1,900? :D

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:24 pm
Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:51 am Ah a common problem, but some better half’s can surprise you, one night in June I sat down with Sue and discussed expanding my kit to enable better AP. when she said “how much?” I replied £1,700, her comment was if you can cut a couple of hundred off, then OK.

Would you have got away with starting bidding at £1,900? :D

Regards

Graeme
There's always next time... :lol:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447