Moving From a DSLR to a Dedicated Astrocamera

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
mbocca United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Moving From a DSLR to a Dedicated Astrocamera

Post by mbocca »

Jim,

I have the same ES ED102 as you, and started with a Nikon D7100. About 18 months ago I got the ASI1600mm-Pro. I use the D7100 with one of my two zoom lens on the top handle of the ED102. The handle is set up to mount to it. I can capture widefield with the Nikon and zoom lens while capturing details of a DSO with the telescope and ASI camera.

Admittedly, I have only tried this a couple of times, but if there enough time during setup, I can always start up the dslr after the main imaging is rolling. I pause the main imaging to do a focus on the dslr, and once that is done they can both capture. The guiding is done for free since that is for the telescope.

The learning curve is not too steep, especially with the online forums. A lot of people are willing to help. I relied on other users for starting conditions.

Mike
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Edge 1100HD, Orion ST80
Mounts: Celestron CGE Pro, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro, Nikon D7100, Orion SSAG, ZWO ASI120MC
Control Software: Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, ASCOM, Stellarium
Post Processing: PixInsight, GIMP 2.0
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

mbocca wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 am Jim,

I have the same ES ED102 as you, and started with a Nikon D7100. About 18 months ago I got the ASI1600mm-Pro. I use the D7100 with one of my two zoom lens on the top handle of the ED102. The handle is set up to mount to it. I can capture widefield with the Nikon and zoom lens while capturing details of a DSO with the telescope and ASI camera.

Admittedly, I have only tried this a couple of times, but if there enough time during setup, I can always start up the dslr after the main imaging is rolling. I pause the main imaging to do a focus on the dslr, and once that is done they can both capture. The guiding is done for free since that is for the telescope.

The learning curve is not too steep, especially with the online forums. A lot of people are willing to help. I relied on other users for starting conditions.

Mike

Thanks Mike, sounds like a really nice setup!

I have my guider set up on the top rail (handle) of the ED102. That spunds like a great place to mount a dlsr. How is your guider mounted?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
mbocca United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbocca »

Jim,

I have a dual saddle plate for the mount. My other telescope is a Celestron Edge1100HD. The imaging scope mounts on one saddle plate and the guide scope (Orion ST80) mounts on the other plate.

The rings for my ST80 also has a location for a DSLR, I am not using the original rings that came with the ST80.

Mike
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Edge 1100HD, Orion ST80
Mounts: Celestron CGE Pro, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro, Nikon D7100, Orion SSAG, ZWO ASI120MC
Control Software: Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, ASCOM, Stellarium
Post Processing: PixInsight, GIMP 2.0