Moving From a DSLR to a Dedicated Astrocamera

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Moving From a DSLR to a Dedicated Astrocamera

Post by Juno16 »

I also wanted to add to the title “ in Light Pollution”.

I an strongly considering moving from my Nikon D5300 (ha mod) to a dedicated astro camera (OSC) sometime within the next six months.

I am sure that there are several folks here that have gone this route. Hopefully some of you can offer some advice.

I have really enjoy the Nikon. I had it ha modded by Lifepixel last November.

My conditions are:

Lots of lp. Not the worst, but challenging at mid Bortle 7. To the East is the worst lp since it is above the city lp dome.

Limited sky view. Best view to the East, but worst lp. Can see to about 50-55 degrees altitude in the West mostly.

Limited good skies for imaging. Sometimes a month or two between sessions. Usually, I can get out for a night once a week or two. Some of these nights are marginal. Almost never two nights in a row.
Bottom line here is that imaging time is precious.

Long summer with temperatures at night commonly in the 80F range. In the summer (and sometimes in the winter), lots of moisture in the air creating quite a glow from the neighborhood street lights. One is in my front yard. Luckily, they are still Na vapor.

So, the bottom line is I don’t get much sky time and the sky quality is not that great. Lots of heat.

So, my thoughts about moving to a dedicated astro camera:

With a dedicated Astro camera, I hope to get more target signal due to the much higher qe, so capture more data in a given amount of time. Maybe even 2x?

Less noise. The Nikon doesn’t seem very noisy, but I am hoping for a significant rise in s/n ratio per unit of time spent imaging.

Much easier to shoot and bank dark files.

Another consideration.I really like my fov with my ES ED102, aps-c DSLR, and 0.8 FF/FR. The ASI 533mc-pro seems like a fantastic camera, but would really cut the fov significantly. The ASI 294mc-pro looks good too with not as wide a fov as the aps-c, but close.

My current view with the ES ED102, D5300, and 0.8 FR.
41A71904-035E-4E28-8E1A-8CBFDA315479.png

My budget is around 1k$.

Are my expectations realistic? Any thought or recommendations?

Thank you!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Moving From a DSLR to a Dedicated Astrocamera

Post by bobharmony »

Jim, I have gone through the thought process on this over the past year. My sky conditions and availability are similar to yours, but the temps are not as high year round here, and downright cold in the winter months. Like you I am using an aps-c DSLR, although mine is not modded.

For me, the biggest advantage of a dedicated camera would be the cooling capability to reduce the noise and simplify the collection of darks. I also would like to preserve the aps-c sensor size and would prefer OSC. My dream is the 071mc-pro. The last time I checked it was about 1.4k. It is beyond my reach at the moment, but could become a possibility after we get our retirement finances in order and move to a lower tax bracket.

Good luck on whichever way you decide to go, I will enjoy watching your journey.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks for responding Bob.

The low noise and darks collection are indeed worth the upgrade. I am hoping that the extra sensitivity of the osc astronomy camera might also help better utilize imaging efficiency.
I thought that Alex [mention]ic_1101[/mention] made a post on my last Iris image, that after moving from a modded D5300 to a 294, the sensitivity was so much higher. He said that really enabled him to capture quite a bit of dust surrounding the nebula.

I will have to look at the 071mc pro too. 1.4k is a lot of money!

Thanks again Bob!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Mono camera? You can do alot with just two filters, ha and oiii, Bi colour imaging and you can build a reasonable image in just a night depending on the target.

Or you can go with the osc route and a dou/tri band filter. Bottom line, I think you'll want something to deal with that bortle 7 lp, something much more drastic then a lp filter.

Cooling, you'll never look back.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Jim,

Get the ZWO ASI294 MC Pro (I just bought one). It is has a TEC cooler for hot summer nights and the sensor is nearly the size of an APS-C sensor. And oh, BTW, it is $1,000. For your LP start thinking about the Duoband or Triband band filters. In two years when you are now a more advanced imager, you can step up to a Mono camera. Just my opinion, but it is a learned one.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:56 am Mono camera? You can do alot with just two filters, ha and oiii, Bi colour imaging and you can build a reasonable image in just a night depending on the target.

Or you can go with the osc route and a dou/tri band filter. Bottom line, I think you'll want something to deal with that bortle 7 lp, something much more drastic then a lp filter.

Cooling, you'll never look back.
I think that the cooling alone will be worth the upgrade. Still thinking osc, and the dou/tri band filter is an excellent idea that I really haven’t seriously entertained.

Thanks for responding yobbo! Your comments help me a lot.
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JayTee wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:32 am Jim,

Get the ZWO ASI294 MC Pro (I just bought one). It is has a TEC cooler for hot summer nights and the sensor is nearly the size of an APS-C sensor. And oh, BTW, it is $1,000. For your LP start thinking about the Duoband or Triband band filters. In two years when you are now a more advanced imager, you can step up to a Mono camera. Just my opinion, but it is a learned one.

Cheers,
JT
I appreciate your thoughts JT.

I remember that you recently bought the ASI 294 mc-pro. It is in the front of my choices right now.

You echoed yobbo’ s comments about the filter and I really like that approach dealing with the lp.

I know that dou/tri band filters do reduce incoming signal and really don’t want to go much longer than 300 second subs with the AVX. That’s why I haven’t considered a dou/tri band filter with the dslr. Hopefully the increased sensitivity with the Astro camera will allow me to capture good signal at 300 seconds or less with this type of filter.

As lousy as my weather is, I probably will never reach “advanced imager”. Just looking for a nice bump up in the right direction.

Thank you JT for sharing your thoughts and experience! I really value comments from you and other experienced imagers.
Jim

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

My thoughts were similar to some of the above, along the lines of a few years of OSC then mono and filters when I retire.

As well as the advantages mentioned of the dedicated camera over the DSLR with the major step up in quality that I'm looking forward to is that I will be able to have a go at planetary imaging with ROI instead of swapping to my hopelessly over sampled GPCAM2 290C. Mars is coming up over the horizon!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:45 am
I know that dou/tri band filters do reduce incoming signal and really don’t want to go much longer than 300 second subs with the AVX. That’s why I haven’t considered a dou/tri band filter with the dslr. Hopefully the increased sensitivity with the Astro camera will allow me to capture good signal at 300 seconds or less with this type of filter.

You may have to image longer without the filter, such as the L-enhance, to get the nebulosity that you're looking for. It will also reduce the bright stars making the Ha stand out considerably more.

Last night I captured NGC6990 without any filters at 300 seconds and could barely see it in the sub. I then took the same shot with the L-enhance and it popped out. The same with the L-Pro but about 1/2 what the L-enhance did.

Most all of my captures are 300 seconds with the AVX but last night I went to 600 and had .7-.9 RMS, probably because the target was so high in the sky.

The L-enhance is a game changer, IMO, for nebula imaging in LP areas. Heck, even in a Bortle 3-4 in SC it was far better than no filter for capturing the HA/Oiii in the Veil.

I wish I kept the 300sec no filter sub for comparison.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:57 pm
You may have to image longer without the filter, such as the L-enhance, to get the nebulosity that you're looking for. It will also reduce the bright stars making the Ha stand out considerably more.

Last night I captured NGC6990 without any filters at 300 seconds and could barely see it in the sub. I then took the same shot with the L-enhance and it popped out. The same with the L-Pro but about 1/2 what the L-enhance did.

Most all of my captures are 300 seconds with the AVX but last night I went to 600 and had .7-.9 RMS, probably because the target was so high in the sky.

The L-enhance is a game changer, IMO, for nebula imaging in LP areas. Heck, even in a Bortle 3-4 in SC it was far better than no filter for capturing the HA/Oiii in the Veil.

I wish I kept the 300sec no filter sub for comparison.

Great information Steve.

600 seconds, interesting. I tried a 600 second exposure once with my AVX and it seemed to handle it okay. I just would hate for a satellite to mess up a 10 minute exposure!

Did you have to increase exposure to 600 seconds because the filter dropped the histogram? Can the exposure be compensated with raising the camera gain without loosing much dynamic range?

Since I have a little time, I will plan on the camera first and continue to use the IDAS LPS D-1 filter (it seems to do well for me presently considering all of the sodium vapor lighting in my neighborhood) until I decide on a L-Enhance, Duo, or Triband filter.

I am so impressed by the ASI EAF, I will like to go with an ASI camera. Still pointing toward the 294 mainly because of the fov. I also like the huge well depth. The 533 is surely impressive, but I would like a bigger sensor.

Great information from everyone! This is just the feedback I was hoping for.

Again, thanks a bunch for the very valuable information!
Jim

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:55 pm
600 seconds, interesting. I tried a 600 second exposure once with my AVX and it seemed to handle it okay. I just would hate for a satellite to mess up a 10 minute exposure!

Did you have to increase exposure to 600 seconds because the filter dropped the histogram? Can the exposure be compensated with raising the camera gain without loosing much dynamic range?

I increased exposure to 600 seconds just to get more nebulosity that I don't see in 300 sec. I leave the gain at 120 most of the time. I understand about messing up a 10minute sub, it's happened a few times but not because of a satellite, usually a guiding error or clouds. PixInsight can remove all of the satellites easily during ImageIntegration. I never see any in the final images.

The 533 sensor size is smaller at 3008x3008 but it also has ZERO amp glow but I am not sure if the 294MC has the same.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:15 pm

The 533 sensor size is smaller at 3008x3008 but it also has ZERO amp glow but I am not sure if the 294MC has the same.

Probably not zero, but I know that ZWO addressed the 294 amp glow issue with more memory buffer.

From the ASI web site.

"DDR Memory Buffer
The ASI294MC Pro camera includes a 256MB DDR3 memory buffer to help improve data transfer reliability. Additionally, the use of a memory buffer minimizes amp-glow, which is caused by the slow transfer speeds when the camera is used with a USB 2.0 port".

Thanks for all of the information Steve!
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I can attest that on my new ASI294MC Pro there is zero (NO) amp glow. So it would make sense that ZWO has solved the 294MC Pro amp glow issue.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JayTee wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:31 pm I can attest that on my new ASI294MC Pro there is zero (NO) amp glow. So it would make sense that ZWO has solved the 294MC Pro amp glow issue.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks for that JT!!!

Excellent!
Jim

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:24 am
JayTee wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:31 pm I can attest that on my new ASI294MC Pro there is zero (NO) amp glow. So it would make sense that ZWO has solved the 294MC Pro amp glow issue.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks for that JT!!!

Excellent!
The 294MC looks like the better camera. I am not sure if it was available when I purchased the 533.
Steve

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Mac wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:28 amThe 294MC looks like the better camera. I am not sure if it was available when I purchased the 533.
It was when I purchased my 294 earlier this year (Feb). The 294MC Pro was released in Oct 2017 and the 533MC Pro was released just about 2 years later in Oct 2019! I compared them side by side and the 294 won out because of the bigger sensor, even though it was $200 more expensive at the time.

Cheers,
JT

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:45 am
JayTee wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:32 am Jim,

Get the ZWO ASI294 MC Pro (I just bought one). It is has a TEC cooler for hot summer nights and the sensor is nearly the size of an APS-C sensor. And oh, BTW, it is $1,000. For your LP start thinking about the Duoband or Triband band filters. In two years when you are now a more advanced imager, you can step up to a Mono camera. Just mo opinion, but it is a learned one.

Cheers,
JT
I appreciate your thoughts JT.

I remember that you recently bought the ASI 294 mc-pro. It is in the front of my choices right now.

You echoed yobbo’ s comments about the filter and I really like that approach dealing with the lp.

As lousy as my weather is, I probably will never reach “advanced imager”. Just looking for a nice bump up in the right direction.

Thank you JT for sharing your thoughts and experience! I really value comments from you and other experienced imagers.
Thanks for asking the question Jim this is a very useful thread, I’m just experiencing a long period of lousy skies and the UK weather will probably limit my enthusiasm for becoming an experienced imager. That is simply based on the ROI I currently see due to the limitations weather puts on my viewing. A step up to a 6” refractor is probably my final purchase. Solar could be interesting too, as the day’s currently are clearer than the nights.

Time, retirement and the missus, will tell.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Greenman wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks for asking the question Jim this is a very useful thread, I’m just experiencing a long period of lousy skies and the UK weather will probably limit my enthusiasm for becoming an experienced imager. That is simply based on the ROI I currently see due to the limitations weather puts on my viewing. A step up to a 6” refractor is probably my final purchase. Solar could be interesting too, as the day’s currently are clearer than the nights.

Time, retirement and the missus, will tell.

I surely know what you mean about the weather Tony.
Even when my weather is good, the skies are usually just fair. But, I really don’t plan to go anywhere but my backyard to image so that’s what it is.

I retired two years ago and started this AP hobby. I really just wanted to shoot some okay shots and play around with the hobby. I knew it would be challenging, both mentally and monetarily and I needed the mental challenge, but not so much the monetary part. I never planned to even mod the camera or use guiding.
Well, I guess that I am inching along down the “hole”, but really don’t plan to go much farther.

You can do some pretty cool imaging with your 8se, avx, and Canon!

Hopefully the weather will get better and you can get out and play. Seems like the more I get out, the more that I want to get out.

Well, maybe I really just want to get out!

Thanks for the post!
Jim

Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:40 pm
I an strongly considering moving... to a dedicated astro camera (OSC) sometime within the next six months.

I am sure that there are several folks here that have gone this route. Hopefully some of you can offer some advice.

My budget is around 1k$.

Are my expectations realistic? Any thought or recommendations?

Thank you!
Jim,
I have been planning on doing this same move to a dedicated astro camera. Same budget, same timeline as you mentioned. I am retiring the end of January and want to have a camera before that happens. Many of the questions you have asked were the same ones I needed answers to also, so thanks for posting this.
I am leaning towards the ZOW ASI290 MC Pro.
Good luck on your search and future purchase. If I come across any promotions I will let you know.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Well, this was a very, very difficult decision!

Done now. I decided on the ASI 533 mc pro. Going to have to get over the smaller fov, but on the other hand, it opens up a new range of targets. I will also have to learn how to stitch images together because there are some large targets that I want to image.

The newer electronics was the major deciding factor.

I also added an Optolong l enhance. It is back ordered though and probably won't be available until month end.

Hopefully, I will have some type of first light soon. Since I am moving from my very comfortable zone with the dslr, I hope to have a chance to get out one night just to set things up and take some test images. I have also gotten very comfortable with the ASI focus motor, so I will have to do some testing with it to set up the parameters in APT.

I have really enjoyed the Nikon D5300 modded dlsr and will really miss the fov. I will hang on to it until I get things rolling comfortably with the new camera, then more than likely sell it. I hate to though, but I already have another dslr.

Thanks for all of the help that I have gotten on this thread.
Jim