Help understanding cameras for telescopes

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Help understanding cameras for telescopes

Post by Bearcatrp »

Just ordered it. Hope it works out for awhile. My first venture into photography with my telescope. Cheap enough to learn what I really need. Thanks again folks.
Meade StarNavigator NG 125mm Maksutov Telescope
QHY QHY5III462
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Looking on QHY web site for the software I need. Just want a verification this is the right software...
https://www.qhyccd.com/download.html
Looks like it is but don't want to mess up with the wrong software.
QHY QHY5III462
ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ram »

Yep, that's the software, for Windows the System Pack is what you need... you can see they have links to FireCapture and SharpCap also. But if you download the System Pack, in the future use the UpdateCheck program that is provided so it keeps the versions up to date (though sometimes this can break things---no need to install a new version if your current version is working well).

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Thanks for confirming this. My camera arrives Thursday.
QHY QHY5III462
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

During installation, I saw allot of errors. Was I suppose to install another program before installing this software? Was looking at the example and didn't quite make sense. The software did fire up though. Guess I will find out when the camera comes in. Will hook it up in the day time to play around with it to get familiar with the software.
QHY QHY5III462
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

Just as a rule of thumb, the sensor size in mm gives you an image field of view roughly equivalent to the same size eyepiece.

Yes, I know that depends on the design of the eyepiece, but for most purposes it's a reasonable approach for determining what you'll image relative to what you'll expect to see.
So a 1/3" sensor will give you an image similar to that seen in an 8mm eyepiece.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Thanks for the info. My 9mm eyepiece works awesome on the moon so if this camera does 8mm, this is going to work out sweet. Just hope my i5 laptop can handle it.
QHY QHY5III462
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Gfamily wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:48 am Just as a rule of thumb, the sensor size in mm gives you an image field of view roughly equivalent to the same size eyepiece.
The actual rule is the diagonal measure of the sensor in mm gives the rough equivalent of eyepiece focal length.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ram »

Bearcatrp wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:11 am During installation, I saw allot of errors. Was I suppose to install another program before installing this software? Was looking at the example and didn't quite make sense. The software did fire up though. Guess I will find out when the camera comes in. Will hook it up in the day time to play around with it to get familiar with the software.
What kind of errors, and what exactly did you install? There is an order you have to go by, starting with the System Driver, to avoid these kinds of warnings/errors. You just need the SystemDriver and EZCAP_QT to get started. The ASCOM driver can be helpful for later but not right now.

But try it and see, and if doesn't work, uninstall everything and start with the System Driver. It also works better if you have a QHY camera connected for some reason - I've had this issue especially when running UpdateCheck. But anyways, as long as you have all the pieces correctly installed, it should work fine. I'm not a Windows person so any help I can provide in this regard will be limited (I do use Windows on one old computer for AP but not on a daily basis).

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

I downloaded and installed that all in one system pack from the link I posted above. Camera arrives tomorrow so will hook it up and see what happens. Have Ubuntu on laptop too (dual boot). Downloaded the package but cant get it to install. Dont see any packages in the repository either to try.
QHY QHY5III462
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Can't seem to get this to work. Downloaded sharp cap. Tried both software with no luck. Not sure if I have a bad camera or I am doing something wrong. Sharp cap recognizes the camera. Tried different settings but no picture of what I have the telescope pointed at about 600 yards away. I focused with a 9mm lens, then put the camera on. Any suggestions? I can place my hand in front of the telescope and the screen goes dark though. Just a blank screen though. Plan on trying at night to see what happens. If nothing works, will send it back as defective.
QHY QHY5III462
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Just tried to reload that all in one package from QHY. The ASCOM driver failed to install. Said I need 6.0 or greater. Is this driver needed?
QHY QHY5III462
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Tried re installing the drivers. Here are the error messages I get:
The ASCOM driverhelper object has failed to load, this indicates a serious problem with the ASCOM installation

The ASCOM Utilities object has failed to load, this indicates that the ASCOM platform has not been installed correctly

The ASCOM platform 6.0 or greater is required for this driver

same as #1

same as #2

the ASCOM platform 5.5 or greater in required for this driver.

6 errors in total.
QHY QHY5III462
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Bearcatrp wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:07 pm I can place my hand in front of the telescope and the screen goes dark though.
Sounds like out of focus. If you have not messed with a camera before, focus is way more sensitive than you would think. Either in focus or almost blank. Even worse when trying to see stars.

Just one suggestion,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Thank you for your help. It was out of focus. What is the ASCOM driver for? Sharp cap seems to work fine without it.
QHY QHY5III462
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ram »

Bearcatrp wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:07 pm Can't seem to get this to work. Downloaded sharp cap. Tried both software with no luck. Not sure if I have a bad camera or I am doing something wrong. Sharp cap recognizes the camera. Tried different settings but no picture of what I have the telescope pointed at about 600 yards away. I focused with a 9mm lens, then put the camera on. Any suggestions? I can place my hand in front of the telescope and the screen goes dark though. Just a blank screen though. Plan on trying at night to see what happens. If nothing works, will send it back as defective.
Sorry, I got busy with work and didn't follow this thread but my guess is that it is not the camera. If SharpCap recognises the camera you're fine. You're likely out of focus as Steve said (most likely) or your gain setting is low (less likely) or you may have some other setting off also (most unlikely). The point of focus for your 9mm lens is different from the camera which is at prime focus. So set SharpCap to be taking 1 second exposures with a high gain you need to slowly/carefully move the focusser from one end to other and you'll see an image come up. You seem to have to have confirmed this already but you can also shine a flashlight and make sure the screen goes white.

So set your gain to about 75-80% of the slider. Set your file type to be FITS. Set your exposure length to 1 second. I think that's it - if it's a colour camera you may have RGB balance but the defaults should be okay for now. If you changed the sliders, you can reset SharpCap to defaults I believe (so I would start from there and then make these changes and then try it out).

If you do it at night, as you get closer to focus, you'll see the stars as white circles/donuts (if you're using a refractor) and then you can see it smaller and bigger as you move the focusser so you know which direction to focus. That's why you set the gain high so you can see the large donut when you're really out of focus and then you can get ready and move your focusser more slowly.

You don't need ASCOM if you're using SharpCap - it can see the camera directly (which IMO is better). You can google what ASCOM is for more detail but briefly it's a platform for all kinds of different software and gear to talk to each other (basically a standard). As long as you just use SharpCap and the camera you don't need it. But the error you're getting is that you're trying to install the driver without installing the platform (which is a separate download).

--Ram
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Thanks Ram. Before I posted the issues, I did try focusing a little with no luck. Thats why I thought it was either software issues or the camera itself. Had to do allot of cranking on the focus knob. Played with it again late yesterday to get familiar with different settings. Now just wait for a clear sky to try it out on the moon.
QHY QHY5III462
Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

Another option you might want to consider is using an existing DSLR. If you have one, the options for mounting those on most scopes is very low cost. They also tend to provide a much wider field of view than lower cost dedicated ZWO cameras.

Many of those have electronic view finders with live view, which makes focusing much easier. For simple images, you don’t need a computer for starting out. Many of them can be run from your smartphone, or you can use time delay exposures to avoid vibrations.
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Don't have a DSLR. Almost thought about investing is one with a big zoom lens but decided to go for a telescope. Tried to focus on venus last night but didn't work out. Will wait for the moon to learn the software.
QHY QHY5III462
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Well, got my 1st try at the moon with my new camera. Harder than I thought but worth it.
QHY QHY5III462