EQ6-R/EQMod - RA Stops Tracking

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

EQ6-R/EQMod - RA Stops Tracking

Post by Baskevo »

Hi Everyone,

So I have just about had it with my EQ6-R Pro... This is my 3rd one, because I had to return the other two due to tracking issues (for example, when I would try to park the mount, the RA would freeze). I had better luck with my AVX Mount.

With my newer EQ6-R Pro, I am directly connected to my PC (no hand controller), with an ASI1600mm Pro (w/ filter wheel) and a ES ED80 Triplet APO Refractor attached. I use a side-by-side set up with my ZWO 60mm guide scope. It should be well below the weight limit.

My issues started happening when I was getting unbearable backlash during dithering, where it would take almost 2 minutes to recover. I never solved that issue before I moved to a new home, and put everything away for the last few months. I noticed then that the axes have more resistance than I would expect for a $1600 mount, but I couldn't confirm that had something to do with the problem, and I am not very handy and somewhat new to this stuff.

I got it out again, and the first night it worked absolutely incredible, no issues. Everything ran as smooth as possible.

However, last night, while I was trying to plate solve, the mount would not move closer to the object once it got so close. I moved over to PHD2 to look at the live view from my guide camera, and noticed that the mount stopped tracking. I tried again, same thing, and I tried to guide and found it was the RA axis that was not tracking (from the huge dip in guiding). There were no errors on EQMod. It worked randomly throughout the night, and it happened every time I tried to do a plate solve (but I can't be certain that is the only time it does it).

I tried to fix it by disconnecting the mount and restarting, and noticed that when I parked the mount to the home position, the home position would be off by a couple of degrees, sometimes even more.

I thought maybe it was a periodic error issue or something, but it started working again like 2 hours after fiddling with it and trying different USB ports, different power sources, etc. When it finally did work, I did only one plate solve, and just hit guide, and it worked fine for the rest of the night. Tonight, I tried again and it was doing the same thing, and I noticed it mostly does it when I try to do a second plate solve.

I have been looking everywhere for a solution... Could it be a software issue? In my research, I found you are supposed to have the bits per second rate in the port settings set to 9600, but mine only works at 115200. Could that be causing the issue? Should I reinstall everything?

It really sucks that I invest so much money to have a better mount and less headaches, but I have more... I am going on a camping trip next week, so I am hoping to fix it before then... Any ideas, and I will be forever grateful.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Re: EQ6-R/EQMod - RA Stops Tracking

Post by starfield »

Weird. The intermittent behavior makes me think a cable/USB problem. I had a bad cable going to my guide camera which caused my USB hub to go wonky and then caused all sorts of weird behavior.

In terms of stalls while slewing, the only time I've run into that is when running on battery power. When running from home on a good 12V supply I haven't had issues.

One other suggestion on backlash. I recently discovered my mount tends to behave worse when I turn on backlash compensation on. Don't ask me why as this is all still a dark art to me, but that has made a difference.

I can't speak to the software as I run my connections from PC thru the hand controller USB connection. Haven't been brave enough to try EQMOD yet and don't want to introduce any new moving parts into my set up.

Good luck.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Aw, sorry to hear about your mount troubles James. Must be very frustrating for sure.

Have you tried replacing the usb mount cable as Starfield mentioned?

My AVX isn’t perfect, but it is easy and consistent.

Good to hear from you and hope you get things resolved soon.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

Hi Mate,

This may have no bearing at all on your problem, but I have been struggling with EQMOD/APT dropping out of track mode for 6 months. I finally solved it by disabling mount limits in the EQMOD settings. I had never set any limits, just left the box checked as that was default. It seems that as the mount passed meridian or thought it was at horizon it would stop tracking. This only appeared as a quick flash of 'Mount limit horizon' flashing on the EQMOD interface so I didn't even see it occurring.
I feel your pain, so I hope this helps.

Cheers
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Guiding - Orion 50mm guide with ZWO ASI120MM-S
Imaging - ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool, ZWO Filter wheel, LRGB, Ha Sii Oiii and Dark frame filters
Software - APT, PS2, ASPS, PHD2, BYE, ASCOM, Stellarium, PI, PS.
Sky - Bortle 5
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Thank you for all the advice guys... I ordered a new USB A to B cable, an $80 weatherproof USB Hub, and I double checked to make sure the limits in EQMod are off. If anyone has any other suggestions, I am all ears...

Also, while we are in the mounts section of the forum, does anyone have a suggestion for how to travel with such a heavy mount head? I have the original box, but the box is so massive. I have a bag for the tripod.
-James W.

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

My understanding is that IF the mount is not in a rigid formed (ie. the Styrofoam form flat it comes in the clutches should be left un-locked.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

Baskevo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:08 am Thank you for all the advice guys... I ordered a new USB A to B cable, an $80 weatherproof USB Hub, and I double checked to make sure the limits in EQMod are off. If anyone has any other suggestions, I am all ears...

Also, while we are in the mounts section of the forum, does anyone have a suggestion for how to travel with such a heavy mount head? I have the original box, but the box is so massive. I have a bag for the tripod.
I just got a big storage container and bought some foam from Michaels for the bottom and top. You can put the mount head in there and (if you've got a good back) the counterweights too. I drilled a hole in the side of the container and it doubles as a light/dew shield for my laptop in the field. Here's a link from home depot although I'm sure any container would do. They also have bigger ones with wheels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-25-Ga ... /303099674

Enjoy your trip. Where are you headed? Looks like they've opened up primitive camping in most of the SoCal desert parks.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Okay, so I purchased a new USB A to B cable which goes from the mount to the USB powered hub, I purchased a new USB powered hub, and I've tried a new AC/DC power converter. No go. Someone at cloudy night suggested this:

"Sounds to me like you have the wrong setting for the 'sync' mode set in EQMOD for plate solving to work correctly. Expand the EQMOD window so you can see all the settings. Find the alignment/sync settings, and check the 'User Interface' value. You're description of the plate solve failures indicate to me this is likely set to 'append'. This must be set to 'Dialog Based' and not 'append' for plate solving.
I tried this, but it did not help :( In fact, tonight was worse than usual. About half way between my shots, the RA would start drifting hard, and it would cut my shots short. It has done that a few times now, and I have to reset everything. One time I reset tonight, I parked the mount and it slewed all the way to the left, with the telescope almost hitting the tripod on the west side..."

the only thing I haven't tried is the power cord, but again this is my third EQ6-R mount giving me issues, so I don't think it's the power cord... It has to be user error. I don't know what to do guys T.T There are no cable snags, the Long/Lat are entered in correctly, I've checked everything I can think of...

It works randomly throughout the night, but the guiding in RA is not doing as well as it usually does when it does work. I don't know if this is related, but also my guide camera would refuse to connect when switching from sharp cap to PHD2, and I would have to unplug it and plug it back in again (the camera has always had issues like that, for example I can't connect to main main ZWO imaging camera when the ZWO guide camera is plugged into it through the hub on the back of the main camera, which is an ASI1600).
-James W.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Dang, Sad to hear that you're still having problems with your mount,. My mount is currently doing the same thing, it will stop tracking almost at the meridian every time, i havn't touched the mount limits , but I suspect I know the cause is firecapture when it accesses the mount for guiding, there's probs some conflict with the software and my sitech controller.

So you have a spare laptop or pc to test your mount on, even barrow something?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I have an old laptop that I use to use, but the mounts did it on that one too... Maybe I'll try one more time with that laptop and reinstall everything. Or reset my current laptop and just start from scratch.
-James W.

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

New cable, new USB hub, running all apps as admin, tightened up all screws and cables, and Re-ran PEC and setup PPEC in both PHD2 and in EQMod, and now it is running as smooth as a pie :D Aside from some gnarly backlash every once in a while :) I'm pretty sure it's the PEC that fixed it...

I'm getting average RMS error of 0.6" :) knock on wood T.T
-James W.

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Update: I'm about ready to give up on this hobby...
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 2.36.21 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.28.57 AM.jpg
-James W.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

whats the tracking like from the hand controller ? use the hand controller if you havn't done so and this should eliminate a bad connection to a computer or software and help you focus more on solving anything that is on the mechanical side and voltage loads on the mount.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

ohh you're running mac, have you tried a pc ? isn't ascom only supported on windows ? does your mount only stop when using phd ?, are you using eqmod ?

edit: sorry, i re read your first post, you are using eqmod.

what are your guide pulse multiplier settings ?

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

are you dithering in ra only ? have a guide log to upload ?

Benjamin Australia
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Benjamin »

The only issues I’ve had with similar outcomes have been power related. These mounts like their own power source it seems. When I ran my eq6-R off a battery shared with my laptop it had issues with one axis drifting off, but when I run it off mains or its own battery (I have a dedicated 18AH battery) it works fine. RA could also be tight or loose and changing as temps drop I guess which is easy to loosen/tighten following the Astro Baby guide. Of course poor balance or poor polar alignment will exacerbate any issues. Probably not much help but happy to share other settings if it helps (I used eqmod, PHD2, sequence generator pro).
Scopes:Skywatcher f5 12" Dob, f4 8” Quattro, Esprit 100
Mounts:Skywatcher EQ6-R (EQMod)
Cameras:ZWO ASI2600MM-Pro, Astronomik 2” filters
Apps:PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Eyepieces:Explore Scientific, Pentax XW, TeleVue Panoptic, Delos, Ethos
KenGS
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KenGS »

Benjamin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:47 pm The only issues I’ve had with similar outcomes have been power related. These mounts like their own power source it seems. When I ran my eq6-R off a battery shared with my laptop it had issues with one axis drifting off, but when I run it off mains or its own battery (I have a dedicated 18AH battery) it works fine. RA could also be tight or loose and changing as temps drop I guess which is easy to loosen/tighten following the Astro Baby guide. Of course poor balance or poor polar alignment will exacerbate any issues. Probably not much help but happy to share other settings if it helps (I used eqmod, PHD2, sequence generator pro).
Power supply sounds very likely and fits the symptoms. If the OP could tell us more about his AC/DC converter that would help. In particular the current rating, length of DC cable and what it connected to it. If it is also being used to power the ASI1600 it might just be overloaded as the ASI1600 draws a lot of current when cooling.
--Ken
GSO RC8 CF; Vixen 150mm F5 Newtonian c.1983; Super Polaris mount; DMD-1 controller; DIY Arduino controller; EQ6Pro mount; Synscan 3 controller; Avalon M-UNO; Vixen 60mm F12 refractor guidescope; Meade Lightbridge 12"; ASI1600MM-C; ATIK 420, Tamron 46A 70-210mm, ST80, Imaging Source DBK-21AU04-AS cam, Prostar/Toupcam GPCMOS0120KMB, ZWO ASI120MM-S, Bortle 5 sky.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

We're gonna have to give you a new nickname! Larry the Cable Guy comes to mind!!! :lol:

On a more serious note I think yobbo89 may be on to something. Find a EP somewhere and go visual when you have a Mount fart. Slew around wherever you can see something. If it acts up the issue isn't related to operator error or a capture/control software problem. It is the mount or it's power supply. Trouble shooting often begins with the bare essentials and you add stuff on until the problem reveals itself.

Just my opinion....
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D