So who on here astro images with a large reflector or even a large refractor?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

So who on here astro images with a large reflector or even a large refractor?

Post by cumbrianwolf »

Just a curiosity of mine, I own what could be called a large aperture telescope at 254 mm 10" parabolic imaging Newtonian telescope. The reason was twofold for me, as in I was a visual user who wanted to dip just his toe into the astrophotography world and at the same time I also did not wish to lose out on the images I was once used to with a 14" scope, so the 10" was a happy compromise of the two and since I could not settle on either subject it has stayed with me. Now I am just starting to get things moving forward with more serious astro imaging, but only after a lot of research, questions, and spending hard-earned cash to get there.

So I am wondering who else prefers the larger optical tube for astrophotography and the reasoning as to why? :Astronomer1: :sprefac:
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: So who on here astro images with a large reflector or even a large refractor?

Post by SkyHiker »

I have a 12" F/4 GSO Newt. The reason is exactly what you mention. I have never used my scope for visual observing BTW because I have not been interested enough and it would work but for sure I need a step stool for that. Other than that, I want to be able to image galaxies and smaller nebulae with less star clutter. This works indeed. The challenge is mostly mechanically - to track accurately - while collimation is a bit of a concern, and wind because it is a sail. The OTA is about as affordable as it gets for about $800. Combined with a quality CC it works quite well. For larger objects like M31 or M42 I prefer my Mak-Newt or ED80. It took me a while to get going because I also switched from a DSLR and on-axis guiding to an ASI2600MM (and MC too), a filter wheel, an autofocuser, and an OAG. Building a simple on-scope rig with an RPi4b with 8 GB, a 12 to 5 V DCDC and a 7 port USB hub helped a lot with setting up efficiently. After getting used to plate solving for PA/goto it was all pretty smooth using Ekos. Any concerns on your side?
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: So who on here astro images with a large reflector or even a large refractor?

Post by seigell »

I've recently added an SharpStar SCA260 10" f/5 Cassegrain to my "collection". I also have an old 10" f/5 Newt that is best for Visual (backfocus issues) and a 8" f/4 Imaging Newt (in Colorado). I mainly do AP Imaging - in part due to a larger-than-normal optic nerve blind-spot (not to the level of macular degeneration (thankfully). But using an Eyepiece is rather frustrating...
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Well, galaxy getting is my thing and all but two fit in my 16" fov. It is all about photons, either image for 10 hours or get it in one with more light into the bucket.

Bigger is better,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:18 pm I have a 12" F/4 GSO Newt. The reason is exactly what you mention. I have never used my scope for visual observing BTW because I have not been interested enough and it would work but for sure I need a step stool for that. Other than that, I want to be able to image galaxies and smaller nebulae with less star clutter. This works indeed. The challenge is mostly mechanically - to track accurately - while collimation is a bit of a concern, and wind because it is a sail. The OTA is about as affordable as it gets for about $800. Combined with a quality CC it works quite well. For larger objects like M31 or M42 I prefer my Mak-Newt or ED80. It took me a while to get going because I also switched from a DSLR and on-axis guiding to an ASI2600MM (and MC too), a filter wheel, an autofocuser, and an OAG. Building a simple on-scope rig with an RPi4b with 8 GB, a 12 to 5 V DCDC and a 7 port USB hub helped a lot with setting up efficiently. After getting used to plate solving for PA/goto it was all pretty smooth using Ekos. Any concerns on your side?
You have quite a choice of optical instruments to choose from. :text-thankyouyellow:
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

sdbodin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:12 pm Well, galaxy getting is my thing and all but two fit in my 16" fov. It is all about photons, either image for 10 hours or get it in one with more light into the bucket.

Bigger is better,
Steve
I cannot argue with the get the light in the bucket quicker is definitely within my line of thoughts as you cut exposure times by quite a margin, therefore less precise tracking needed.
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

seigell wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:55 pm I've recently added an SharpStar SCA260 10" f/5 Cassegrain to my "collection". I also have an old 10" f/5 Newt that is best for Visual (backfocus issues) and a 8" f/4 Imaging Newt (in Colorado). I mainly do AP Imaging - in part due to a larger-than-normal optic nerve blind-spot (not to the level of macular degeneration (thankfully). But using an Eyepiece is rather frustrating...
I had issues with back focus on none imaging Newtonians in the past, hence why I purchased this one, which utilises a parabolic mirror and shorter focal length to overcome this. I must admit that this by-product was rather an afterthought on the subject as I did not fully understand, rather than a planned action which worked out well for me!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

I have a Sw80 ED and newly purchase Sharpstar 61 EDPH.However my original scope is a 20 y.o. Meade 8" LX200 GPS.

I have the LX 200 on a wedge and had used it a bit for AP but coma was awful even with the Meade 0.63 FF/FR.

But late last Galxy season I read that the reducer for 80ED would work so I tried it and got 2 images which I was pretty pleased with. So this year I'm anticipating running the venerable LX200 all through Galaxy Season.

Take care
David
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

cumbrianwolf wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:18 pm I have a 12" F/4 GSO Newt. The reason is exactly what you mention. I have never used my scope for visual observing BTW because I have not been interested enough and it would work but for sure I need a step stool for that. Other than that, I want to be able to image galaxies and smaller nebulae with less star clutter. This works indeed. The challenge is mostly mechanically - to track accurately - while collimation is a bit of a concern, and wind because it is a sail. The OTA is about as affordable as it gets for about $800. Combined with a quality CC it works quite well. For larger objects like M31 or M42 I prefer my Mak-Newt or ED80. It took me a while to get going because I also switched from a DSLR and on-axis guiding to an ASI2600MM (and MC too), a filter wheel, an autofocuser, and an OAG. Building a simple on-scope rig with an RPi4b with 8 GB, a 12 to 5 V DCDC and a 7 port USB hub helped a lot with setting up efficiently. After getting used to plate solving for PA/goto it was all pretty smooth using Ekos. Any concerns on your side?
You have quite a choice of optical instruments to choose from. :text-thankyouyellow:
Yes I do but I currently use few because it's not easy to move the electronic rig over to another scope, and the autofocuser and the OAG. I hope to get to a point where it is easy, so far I haven't tried it much. I probably have too many scopes, the ED127CF was a free door prize, the MN152 and 12 " are my favorites.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:44 pm
cumbrianwolf wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 pm
Yes I do but I currently use few because it's not easy to move the electronic rig over to another scope, and the autofocuser and the OAG. I hope to get to a point where it is easy, so far I haven't tried it much. I probably have too many scopes, the ED127CF was a free door prize, the MN152 and 12 " are my favorites.
Furthermore, I have not found my ideal telescope for imaging yet as I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons for each offering, whereas in reality I need to invest in a cooled camera I think.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I'm swinging a 12'' f4 , other then andromeda and the veil nebula ,1200mm fl is the sweet spot for me and the targets i like to image also being f4 realy helps on some of the slightly fainter targets like the helix ,rossette,seagull nebula some larger galaxys and the The Robin's Egg Nebula which realy faint .

I probably wouldn't go any longer in fl unless you're prolific in imaging distant galaxys,planetary nebula or into imaging small details on core targets like the ''pillars of creation" in the eagle nebula

The fov is a little awkward for targets like m42 where aps-c size chip captures the center of target but not the running man but since it is a bright target you can make way with a 2 panel mosaic pretty fast .

I also enjoye my sct 12'' f10 3000mm fl, originaly purchased for imaging planets but make use on core details in nebula but it is just too slow for alot of the planetary nebula targets i would like to image , kind of wish i got an f8 version :(

The glistening detail of a 4 panel mosiac at 0.64'' pixel scale from a 12'' f4 is outstanding wallpaper stuff xd
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

yobbo89 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:27 pm I'm swinging a 12'' f4 , other then andromeda and the veil nebula ,1200mm fl is the sweet spot for me and the targets i like to image also being f4 realy helps on some of the slightly fainter targets like the helix ,rossette,seagull nebula some larger galaxys and the The Robin's Egg Nebula which realy faint .

I probably wouldn't go any longer in fl unless you're prolific in imaging distant galaxys,planetary nebula or into imaging small details on core targets like the ''pillars of creation" in the eagle nebula

The fov is a little awkward for targets like m42 where aps-c size chip captures the center of target but not the running man but since it is a bright target you can make way with a 2 panel mosaic pretty fast .

I also enjoye my sct 12'' f10 3000mm fl, originaly purcahsed for imaging planets but make use on core details in nebula but it is just too slow for alot of the planetary nebula targets i would like to image , kind of wish i got an f8 version :(
I noted that once I add the corrector aka reducer, the scope of mine drops out from F/4 at 1016 mm to F/3.5 at around 903 mm which is a little wider field than I want on certain objects, so if I added a x2 Barlow this should give me 1800 mm at F/7 which should be better for the smaller targets. Furthermore, I have a lot of experimenting to do, for sure.
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

I have a EdgeHD11 which is mounted on an AP1100GTO with my William Optics GT102 piggyback on top. When I want to image nebulae and stuff I mount the camera on the GT102 - when I want to go deep for small galaxies and PN I attach it to the Edge. I also dabble a bit with planetary, so the 11" shines there. The AP is rock solid and with an OAG on the Edge I can image at f/10 (2880mm) with no problem at all. I can go 10 minutes unguided on the GT102 and many a night even on the Edge (but the OAG and guiding is still better). Every now and then I mount cameras on both scopes and simultaneously image.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

XCalRocketMan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 am I have a EdgeHD11 which is mounted on an AP1100GTO with my William Optics GT102 piggyback on top. When I want to image nebulae and stuff I mount the camera on the GT102 - when I want to go deep for small galaxies and PN I attach it to the Edge. I also dabble a bit with planetary, so the 11" shines there. The AP is rock solid and with an OAG on the Edge I can image at f/10 (2880mm) with no problem at all. I can go 10 minutes unguided on the GT102 and many a night even on the Edge (but the OAG and guiding is still better). Every now and then I mount cameras on both scopes and simultaneously image.
What a great idea, my mount would hold both quite well and I could have the best of both like you do, wide-field images from the Newtonian and a more close up imaging on a refractor with a higher focal ratio.
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

So over all, it seems like a lot of us enjoy using our light buckets for imaging. My next consideration is a reduction of weight with a smaller guide scope, I can take a whole Kg off the mount by doing this.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

cumbrianwolf wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:17 am So over all, it seems like a lot of us enjoy using our light buckets for imaging. My next consideration is a reduction of weight with a smaller guide scope, I can take a whole Kg off the mount by doing this.
How baout an OAG? They are not that expensive, a bit harder to operate but will fix any flexure issues.
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:02 pm
cumbrianwolf wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:17 am So over all, it seems like a lot of us enjoy using our light buckets for imaging. My next consideration is a reduction of weight with a smaller guide scope, I can take a whole Kg off the mount by doing this.
How baout an OAG? They are not that expensive, a bit harder to operate but will fix any flexure issues.
I am thinking of going that way now as I will have better tracking and reduce the weight significantly from the OTA, so it sounds like a total win, although I use an OSC camera and hope that it will be sensitive enough for tracking if I choose this path. Will a larger prism be a good choice?
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

cumbrianwolf wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:42 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:02 pm
I am thinking of going that way now as I will have better tracking and reduce the weight significantly from the OTA, so it sounds like a total win, although I use an OSC camera and hope that it will be sensitive enough for tracking if I choose this path. Will a larger prism be a good choice?
The choice of OAG depends on the camera sensor size and also your focuser aperture.
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

The focuser I have is a 2" with down converters for the regular 1.25" fittings. Sensor size on the imaging camera is APS-C and the guide cameras sensor is 1/2.8" CMOS Colour SONY IMX290.
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

I bought an OAG as might as well do the job right first time around.