DSLR Vs Dedicated Astronomy Camera - What's your opinion?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

DSLR Vs Dedicated Astronomy Camera - What's your opinion?

Post by chris_g »

My current rig is using an unmodified DSLR Canon 600D. I'm saving my pennies for a new camera some time after the new year and am wondering is the price point is worth it for a dedicated astronomy camera. I can get my current camera modified for full spectrum for around $200 and piss my wife off in the process even though she says I know I've done my research. :lol: I also could get another Canon already modified full spectrum such as the 70D for around $500 which actually has a better ISO capability and QE rating that than the 600D, at least according to APT's matrix. I don't see the advantage of a full frame with the capability of doing panels and creating a mosaic so that definitely would take something like ZWO's ASI 6200 out of the picture. So with taking enough dark frames, is a cooled camera really worth it. QE and well depth are better on most higher end ZWOs such as the 2600mm but is that really an issue? The Canon is capable of doing video but it's max frame rate is 60, so if I wanted to do planetary imaging, a dedicated astro camera would be good in that regard but again, what's the best price point because that would be extremely limited in what it was used for

The only real advantage that I can see is a monochrome camera since you would get the full resolution of the camera on each color channel taking into account triple the time to take the image. That does also bring the question to mind, do you get a better image with monochrome using NB filters? Optalong says their NB filters were designed with DSLR' in mind.
The relentless spread of urbanization and its associated light pollution have become a growing problem for all amateurs and astrophotographers. The current fixes to the problem can be expensive and might include the purchase of a monochrome camera, several types of narrowband filters and a filter wheel.

L-eNhance provides an economical and practical fix for amateurs. It is a dual-band pass filter which has been designed for DSLR (digital SLR), color CMOS and CCD cameras.
So, is there a real justification to purchase a dedicated astro camera and if so, why? Thanks for looking and I hope to get lots of input.

Clear Skies!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: DSLR Vs Dedicated Astronomy Camera - What's your opinion?

Post by JayTee »

Use your DSLR for a year then come back to us and ask the same question. This opinion complies with happy wife, happy life.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ken_nneth Norway
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ken_nneth »

All about the money, I would rank them - modified DSLR, OSC, Mono. There are so many things to consider and extra costs, with the DSLR and OSC would you need any light pollution filters, Mono needs filters. I feel this is one of the areas where you get what you pay for.
Clear Skies
Kenneth
[media][/size][/media]Kenneth
https://www.astrobin.com/users/Ken_nneth/

ZWO SEESTAR S50
PixInsight
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

With a DSLR you can almost go computerless. I would not sacrifice a DSLR that is my regular camera. BTW a 6D is much better than those two and bodies go for $500 on ebay. If you modify it you will have a nice imager.

With an astro cam you need to add a computer system that lets you view images remotely and store them. It has the advantage of being able to plate solve easily, which is useful for polar and goto alignment. Mono narrowband will definitely get you better resolution and more imaging opportunities than OSC. I see you already have a mini filter wheel for small filters, is that good enough for 2" accessories? You will need an electronic focuser.

Setting up becomes harder so you need to build an electronic rig and have some semi permanent setup, ideally an observatory. I'm at that stage myself, will rig up some simple semi obsy telescope box. Once you go down this path make sure your wife is on board also with the a budget that has some headroom.

I resisted this path for a long time and had fun using doing AP with DSLRs. When I decided to go down this path I went all in and got everything I could possibly need at once, including an ASI2600MM and ASI2600MC. It sat on the shelf for a while when I was figuring out my mount control system. But I don't regret doing it this way, it's expensive but not bad compared to other hobbies and I'm single so why worry about it, and eventually you need it anyway if you decide to go this route. If I had to choose between OSC and mono I would choose mono.

To be honest I'm more focused on the technology (toys, lol) than AP and like to spend more time on tinkering than AP itself. I believe you only have done only one image so far so it's a bit early and maybe you fall into this category too. But there's nothing wrong with thinking about the future.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Having wrestled with that choice (and having bought neither so far :lol:), I would have gone unmodified DSLR since they're much more versatile than a dedicated astro cam.

A lot of astrophoto hobbyists advocate DSLRs for newbies b/c of simpler set-ups, potentially lower costs, and a friendlier learning curve. YMMV.

Keep us posted on your decision!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I am still in the DSLR phase of life due to cost. I have gone to a modded camera. I didn't convert the family camera, but purchased a used one strictly for AP. I am enjoying the early images a lot. Not having to push the red channel to get the kind of color the Cygnus Loop deserves is a big plus for me.

In considering an astrocam, my main thought is to take advantage of the cooling and noise reduction that provides. Mono and filters is not for me at this point, so I would go with an OSC, and would probably stick to the APS-C sensor size as my rig wouldn't come close to filling a full frame sensor.

No recommendations are implied here, just relating my experience and thought process :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:45 am With a DSLR you can almost go computerless. I would not sacrifice a DSLR that is my regular camera. BTW a 6D is much better than those two and bodies go for $500 on ebay. If you modify it you will have a nice imager.

With an astro cam you need to add a computer system that lets you view images remotely and store them. It has the advantage of being able to plate solve easily, which is useful for polar and goto alignment. Mono narrowband will definitely get you better resolution and more imaging opportunities than OSC. I see you already have a mini filter wheel for small filters, is that good enough for 2" accessories? You will need an electronic focuser.

Setting up becomes harder so you need to build an electronic rig and have some semi permanent setup, ideally an observatory. I'm at that stage myself, will rig up some simple semi obsy telescope box. Once you go down this path make sure your wife is on board also with the a budget that has some headroom.

I resisted this path for a long time and had fun using doing AP with DSLRs. When I decided to go down this path I went all in and got everything I could possibly need at once, including an ASI2600MM and ASI2600MC. It sat on the shelf for a while when I was figuring out my mount control system. But I don't regret doing it this way, it's expensive but not bad compared to other hobbies and I'm single so why worry about it, and eventually you need it anyway if you decide to go this route. If I had to choose between OSC and mono I would choose mono.

To be honest I'm more focused on the technology (toys, lol) than AP and like to spend more time on tinkering than AP itself. I believe you only have done only one image so far so it's a bit early and maybe you fall into this category too. But there's nothing wrong with thinking about the future.
Thanks for the input Henk, the imaging PC is already set up so adding a dedicated astro camera would not be that big of a stretch and I love playing with the tech as well, I've been doing that for close to 40 years now. You're showing me the Canon 6D almost convinces me to stay with a DSLR. I like that i's full frame, better ISO and QE than either my 600D or the 60D, and I can get it modified for full spectrum for about $200. If I can get my hands on a Mark II that would be even better but the price point for that probably wouldn't be worth it for just the resolution. The more and more I think about it, the less likely I see the need for an astro camera, at least for where I am at now. If I did, it would be the 2600MM and that requires additional filters as well as a new filter wheel. The mini filter wheel I have now hasn't even been taken out of the box, I'm kind of wishing I had never bought it. I did before I really knew what I needed. Luckily, it is the only piece of equipment I got that isn't being used.
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Ken_nneth wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:14 am All about the money, I would rank them - modified DSLR, OSC, Mono. There are so many things to consider and extra costs, with the DSLR and OSC would you need any light pollution filters, Mono needs filters. I feel this is one of the areas where you get what you pay for.
Clear Skies
Kenneth
Thanks ofr the input Kenneth. If I decide on a DSLR/OSC, I'll be investing in an Optalong L-Enhanced or L-Extreme. I am definitely leaning toward staying with a DSLR now I'm aware of an inexpensive full frame alternative like the Canon 6D But I'll make the final decision once I've got enough pennies, some time next year. The extra cost of the mono and filters is just driving a monochrome out of the picture! :ugeek:
Last edited by chris_g on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Well folks,

It looks like my Canon gets to keep it's filters. Monochrome is just to expensive, I'd rather invest in another mount for visual observations while the imaging rig captures some of the wonders of the universe. So it's either a DSLR like the Canon 6D modified or an OSC such as the ASI294MC Pro combined with an Optalong L-Enhanced or L-Extreme.

This of course is well into the future, pennies, pennies and more pennies!

Clear Skies!
ReflectedWavefront
Earth Ambassador

Post by ReflectedWavefront »

I could use some help deciding on an okay DSLR (used) just to get started. Might be able to find an older one on fleabay if the seller has good ratings. I didn't want to spend over (no laughing allowed) $50 for a body. Suggestions appreciated.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

ReflectedWavefront wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:10 am I could use some help deciding on an okay DSLR (used) just to get started. Might be able to find an older one on fleabay if the seller has good ratings. I didn't want to spend over (no laughing allowed) $50 for a body. Suggestions appreciated.
You can check out the following Canon and Nikon matrixes at APT's web site. It's got most of the older models listed there. I don't know about $50 but you might find something close to that. Good luck!

https://www.astrophotography.app/EOS.php

https://www.astrophotography.app/nikon.php
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Nice table Chris. What I usually do is select 4 cameras in dpreview.com's Reviews->Studio comparison tool with the low lighting option. Chris if you want to compare the 6D with other cameras, that's a great place. The table shows that the 6D ought to be better than most others but seeing actual images is useful too.

For instance here's a selection (low light, raw, 6400 ISO) that compares the Canon D6, Canon EOS T6, Fuji X-a and Nikon 800D: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image- ... =1&x=0&y=0
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:01 pm Nice table Chris. What I usually do is select 4 cameras in dpreview.com's Reviews->Studio comparison tool with the low lighting option. Chris if you want to compare the 6D with other cameras, that's a great place. The table shows that the 6D ought to be better than most others but seeing actual images is useful too.

For instance here's a selection (low light, raw, 6400 ISO) that compares the Canon D6, Canon EOS T6, Fuji X-a and Nikon 800D: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image- ... =1&x=0&y=0
That is a totally awesome tool! The noise is almost non=existent at 1600. I'm sold on the 6D as soon as I can afford one plus the conversion. Won't be until well after the new year now though, had to buy tires for my wife's car Saturday. As @JayTee says, a happy wife is a happy life
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Hey @SkyHiker, upon continued research I've decided not to pursue the 6D or any full frame camera for that matter at this time. I would be severely disappointed with them. I've discovered that my ED80 won't illuminate the entire sensor which would result in vignette, so what would be the point as that would have to either be cropped out or super processed. When I get my next OTA which is way in the future I'll look into a full frame camera. Match the gear to the equipment. Knowledge is power!

Clear Skies!
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

chris_g wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:32 am Hey @SkyHiker, upon continued research I've decided not to pursue the 6D or any full frame camera for that matter at this time. I would be severely disappointed with them. I've discovered that my ED80 won't illuminate the entire sensor which would result in vignette, so what would be the point as that would have to either be cropped out or super processed. When I get my next OTA which is way in the future I'll look into a full frame camera. Match the gear to the equipment. Knowledge is power!

Clear Skies!
Sure, I hope you can find one with the same qualities because you can always simply crop the image. I fancied the 6D because of that, and realize that cropping is frustrating. But I could not find any better affordable Canon DSLR, the T6 for instance is not as good.

The other thing to consider is that a tilting screen is highly recommended, which the 6D does not have. That, and the quality, moved me to get a Fuji X-a1 that is now nearly extinct. The Fuji can't be controlled remotely for AP though.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:43 pm
Sure, I hope you can find one with the same qualities because you can always simply crop the image. I fancied the 6D because of that, and realize that cropping is frustrating. But I could not find any better affordable Canon DSLR, the T6 for instance is not as good.

The other thing to consider is that a tilting screen is highly recommended, which the 6D does not have. That, and the quality, moved me to get a Fuji X-a1 that is now nearly extinct. The Fuji can't be controlled remotely for AP though.
I will eventually go with a full frame DSLR, I've decided pretty much on either the 6D or the 6RP. The 6RP is a sweet camera and you can find them on eBay already modified but they're definitely not as affordable as the 6D, the cheapest I've seen is $1,000 but that price is still a lot less than most of the dedicated color in the same category

EOS RP Digic 8 36×24 26.2 5.75 100-102.4K Unknown 56% Unknown 2019 Q1 0.440 lb
EOS 6D Digic 5+ 36.0×24.0 20.2 6.54 100-25600 1600-3200 50% 150,000 2012 Q4 0.77 lb

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image- ... =1&x=0&y=0
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

chris_g wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:53 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:43 pm

I will eventually go with a full frame DSLR, I've decided pretty much on either the 6D or the 6RP. The 6RP is a sweet camera and you can find them on eBay already modified but they're definitely not as affordable as the 6D, the cheapest I've seen is $1,000 but that price is still a lot less than most of the dedicated color in the same category

EOS RP Digic 8 36×24 26.2 5.75 100-102.4K Unknown 56% Unknown 2019 Q1 0.440 lb
EOS 6D Digic 5+ 36.0×24.0 20.2 6.54 100-25600 1600-3200 50% 150,000 2012 Q4 0.77 lb

You forgot to select the low light condition. Here's a low light link for 25600 ISO, which the T6 can't achieve. The 6D looks best still.

But if you are thinking about spending around 1K maybe an astro camera is better, it will also be less subjected to vignetting because the size is smaller. And yes the 6D is a bit heavy. What I like about my ASI2600MC and MM is that they have very little dark current and that they are controllable and can be used for plate solving (goto and polar alignment). Of course the MM has the mono advantage. So I would go with a cheap DSLR if it's only for the short term.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:15 pm
But if you are thinking about spending around 1K maybe an astro camera is better, it will also be less subjected to vignetting because the size is smaller. And yes the 6D is a bit heavy. What I like about my ASI2600MC and MM is that they have very little dark current and that they are controllable and can be used for plate solving (goto and polar alignment). Of course the MM has the mono advantage. So I would go with a cheap DSLR if it's only for the short term.
This is an interim solution so I can start imaging full spectrum until I decide what camera I really want to get. I just ordered a 550D for $305, full spectrum, including shipping from Night Sky Camera. It's the same specs as the 600D, what I'm using now. The only difference is the 600D will shoot video and I'm not planning on doing any planetary at this point. I remember when it first came out, I didn't see a need to replace my 450D. Now I need to decide on a filter. :) Probably the Optalong L-Enhance...
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

chris_g wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:07 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:15 pm
This is an interim solution so I can start imaging full spectrum until I decide what camera I really want to get. I just ordered a 550D for $305, full spectrum, including shipping from Night Sky Camera. It's the same specs as the 600D, what I'm using now. The only difference is the 600D will shoot video and I'm not planning on doing any planetary at this point. I remember when it first came out, I didn't see a need to replace my 450D. Now I need to decide on a filter. :) Probably the Optalong L-Enhance...
That's a bargain, a full spectrum modified 550D for that money! Congrats, show us how it works! For galaxies you don't need the Optolong L-enhance, for emission nebulae it will be good. I have one too nd am about to use it with my ASI2600MC as soon as the fog stops rolling in.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:49 pm
That's a bargain, a full spectrum modified 550D for that money! Congrats, show us how it works! For galaxies you don't need the Optolong L-enhance, for emission nebulae it will be good. I have one too nd am about to use it with my ASI2600MC as soon as the fog stops rolling in.
I've got the L-Pro clip filter already so I'll be using it for galaxies in my Bortle 5 and 7 locations and when I do upgrade and decide if I ever want sell the 450D, the clip filter can go with it. I want the Enhance for the emission nebula along with Hb band and so I can start imaging more than just a few days a month and only if those few days are cloud free! The camera showed up on their web site last night and I pounced on it this morning. I've been checking them every day since I started this post. They had a 6D but it was just Ha modified and I wanted full spectrum. It's my Christmas present!