Need help/tips to attach camera to telescope

Discussion area ONLY for Electronically assisted imaging.
GClef
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Need help/tips to attach camera to telescope

Post by GClef »

The telescope: Celestron FirstScope 114EQ
The camera: Canon EOS Rebel SL1

Goal #1: To marry these two, to obtain the best Astro pics possible
Goal #2: Use the pics from Goal #1, to justify (to my wife) getting a better telescope

Amazon tells me that I need a Celestron 93625 Universal 1.25-inch Camera T-Adapter with a 93419 T-Ring for 35 mm Canon EOS Camera to achieve this project.
SVBONY and Gosky also have said adapters & rings.

If anyone has any experience with any or all of these components, and wouldn’t mind sharing it with me, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
“ Since the dawn of man, people have looked up at the stars and thought, ‘This hurts my neck.’”
GClef
Earth Ambassador

Re: Need help/tips to attach camera to telescope

Post by GClef »

I just realized this is in the wrong forum.
Sorry.
“ Since the dawn of man, people have looked up at the stars and thought, ‘This hurts my neck.’”
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

No worries, it's close enough!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KenGS
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KenGS »

The T-ring has a bayonet fitting on one end to suit your specific camera model and the other end is a female T thread (42mm 0.75 pitch). The 1.25" T-adapter has a male T-thread that screws into the T-ring and the other end is a 1.25" tube that slides into the eyepiece holder on your telescope. There a plenty of brands of both about - doesn't need to be Celestron.
With these you can attach your camera to any telescope with a 1.25" eyepiece holder.
However - you need to check that you can in fact focus your specific telescope onto the camera sensor. Some telescopes are designed purely for visual use and their point of focus is too close for a camera, even after adjusting the focuser all the way in. Its not a problem if its the other way since you can always add extension rings. Hopefully someone else on the forum may know if your scope is suitable.
I'd suggest to go ahead and get the T-ring and 1.25" adapter. If you cannot focus then the blurry pics will help with Goal #2. Be warned though, astrophotography can be an expensive hobby. The mount is far more critical than any other component and you may need to fork out for a good quality tracking mount.
--Ken
GSO RC8 CF; Vixen 150mm F5 Newtonian c.1983; Super Polaris mount; DMD-1 controller; DIY Arduino controller; EQ6Pro mount; Synscan 3 controller; Avalon M-UNO; Vixen 60mm F12 refractor guidescope; Meade Lightbridge 12"; ASI1600MM-C; ATIK 420, Tamron 46A 70-210mm, ST80, Imaging Source DBK-21AU04-AS cam, Prostar/Toupcam GPCMOS0120KMB, ZWO ASI120MM-S, Bortle 5 sky.