Laptop viewing only?

Discuss video astronomy / Electronically assisted imaging.
chicagorandy
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Laptop viewing only?

Post by chicagorandy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:09 pm

So here's the deal, I ONLY want to plug in my budget Svbony SV205 USB camera into my Windows 10 laptop and view the live images. I have NO current interest in capturing the images for any reason.

The camera did come with SharpCap which I have dutifully loaded and updated on my little laptop.

For my limited purposes is mega-full-featured 'capture' software like SharpCap really even needed or is there a driver or simple app I can use just to see the live images?

Also I have added a .5 focal reducer to the cam due to the long focal length on my Nexstar 127SLT Mak. I have read someplace that the SV205 is 'equivalent' to a 5mm eyepiece? So using the reducer I'm presuming that lowers the magnification down to a more functional 10mm EP on my scope?

YES, I know the SV205 is the bottom of the video camera barrel, but with no interest in AP I couldn't justify spending more than a spare Benjamin on a video "toy", so gimme a break. lol
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
bladekeeper
Co-Administrator

Re: Laptop viewing only?

Post by bladekeeper » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi Randy! Simple webcam applications can show you what the camera is pointing at. But...:D

Applications like SharpCap can do live stacking. Live stacking can help to bring a deep sky object forth out of the noise.

Here is a nice write up by Dave Barrett at High Point Scientific: https://www.highpointscientific.com/ima ... ve-barrett
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; ES AR127 f/9.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; ES AR102 f/9.8; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Ozypic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozypic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:27 am

Ah so another dissapears down the rabbit hole .... beware this is where it all begins ... good luck Randy ... Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
chicagorandy
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by chicagorandy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:46 am

My realistic discretionary $$ (barring a future Lottery win ) self-limits the diameter and depth of all my various hobby rabbit holes. No worries. Besides, my son, who has the scope at his house, is threatening to put me in a home if I buy any more astronomy stuff.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
chicagorandy
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by chicagorandy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:19 am

For any others who do a search on the Svbony SV2015 camera, and beyond their ads and some Amazon customer reviews there isn't much out there on the interwebs, a spokesperson for Svbony confirms that the SV205 offers 'about the same level of magnification as a 5 or 6mm EP which with my scope's approx. 1420mm real focal length would be a magnification roughly equal to the theoretical maximum. likely unusable in the real world. With the addition of my .5 focal reducer I am lead to believe that doubles the EP number to 10 or 12mm for a more realistic 118x to 142x which 'should' suffice for basic laptop live cam viewing?

I have also downloaded the free ManyCam software to my laptop to compare focus clarity using that vs my slightly blurry SharpCap experience yesterday looking at a tall tree across two backyards. Viewable skies again were absent all day.

I'll be re-united with the scope this coming Friday at a yard party and with LOTS of luck will be able to put everything together and show the guests what our moon looks like up close and personal. If the sky refuses to cooperate I just 'may' connect up all the wires, fire up Stellarium, zoom in a bunch on the moon and keep my mouth shut. lol

Voyageur
Mars Ambassador

Post by Voyageur » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Hope you get some clear skies for your investigations, Randy. Things are looking pretty glum up here in Michigan. I'm curious to know how the new camera works out for you.

I have not done any video astronomy, although I have taken some nice cell phone photos of the Moon. My understanding of video astronomy, based solely on reading and not experience, is that what you are referring to as "live viewing" involves using a camera with a CCD or CMOS sensor that provides a continually updated image, e.g., the image is refreshed every few seconds, giving what is in effect a live video feed of the subject, just like one would use Skype or Face Time for a live video conference. For the Moon, this would work just fine, as it is very bright. Of course, you need reasonably good tracking to keep the Moon in view, but that shouldn't be a problem. You wouldn't need something as sophisticated as SharpCap; any basic webcam software would be fine for the Moon. I'm sure ManyCam will be good.

However, to view anything but the brightest objects, as Bryan pointed out, you'd need to explore the capabilities of SharpCap. A live video feed of a dim DSO is not going to be of any use. It's no different from visual - not about magnification, but about light-gathering. You would see at best no better than what you can see yourself through the EP. This is where a program like SharpCap opens up the possibilities. SharpCap can be used to acquire data and "build up" an image on screen over a couple of minutes. It is not really live, but it's pretty close, and thus is sometimes called near-real-time viewing (NRTV).

The stacked images displayed onscreen are not going to look like a processed finished product by an experience AP'er, but they will reveal much more than your eyes can. This technique will allow you to see detail and color in dim objects.

I look forward to hearing about your adventures.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
chicagorandy
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by chicagorandy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks for the response. We share the same always cloudy, EVERY stinking weekend night, skies I'm afraid. Been that way since I bought the durn Nexstar in late April.

Might need to fetch the scope from my son's place and take a long expensive road trip one of these days. lol

OleCuss
Co-Administrator

Post by OleCuss » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:47 am

It appears the camera has a version of the OV2710 sensor. Here's a link to more info on that: https://www.ovt.com/sensors/OV2710-1E Note that this means a sensor diagonal measurement of about 6.7mm.

You can go here: http://www.hrastro.com/tools-and-progra ... alculator/ and calculate your FOV. Note that the sensor is approximately 5.9x3.3mm.

Return to “Video astronomy”