CaLIGHTs DSO IMAGE Calibration Tool

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by pmwolsley »

Hello fellow amateur astrophotographers

I have put together a program that calibrates astrophotography images using a technique I developed over the past few years. My program is intended to help beginner astrophotographers learn and begin using master DARK, BIAS, FLAT and DARKFLAT frames. My technique uses DARK frame optimization which is a real game-changer because it all but eliminates the need to generate a huge library of master DARKs for each ISO/Exposure/Temperature. I also don't need to use dithering with my guiding which gives me a very simple method to follow. Astrophotography is a very complicated hobby so I am always looking for KISS methods that give me consistent results.

I attached a flyer for you to read more about my program. In the coming week I will post here a dropbox link for the installation files. I have decided to use a PAYPAL donations funding method to help offset my costs and efforts. I program exclusively using a entirely graphical programming language called LabVIEW. It tends to be a little big on disk space (~200Mb for it's run-time engine and then 4Mb for my program). Hopefully donations will cover my subscription costs for maintaining my LabVIEW license.

In future I also hope to offer some additional tools based upon software I have already developed and use. I have a differential flexure compensation tool which analyses images in real-time and instructs PHD2 guiding to slowly slew it's guiding setpoint to virtually eliminate differential flexure. I also have a DEC backlash assistant that works in tandem with PHD2 guiding to maintain very tight DEC guiding even while dealing with DEC backlash events. It effectively reduces the 50 arc-seconds of DEC backlash in my CGEM mount to less than 10 arc-seconds.

Peter Wolsley
Quilting Mouse Technologies
:telescopewink:
Attachments
CaLights flyer.pdf
(499.28 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Scopes:Celestron 8" EdgeHD + 0.7focal reducer, Skywatcher BK80ED +0.85 focal reducer
Mount:Celestron CGEM mount with QHY5II-M 177mm guider
Imaging:Nikon D5300 DSLR (H-Alpha Mod) QHYCCD QHY294C
Software:Digicamcontrol, DSS, StarTools, Lightroom, CaLIGHTs(I am the author of CaLIGHTs)
Dark site: Class 4 Bortle
Home site:Class 8 Bortle
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Re: CaLIGHTs DSO IMAGE Calibration Tool

Post by pmwolsley »

I have created the installation files for CaLIGHTs and have put them up on Dropbox for you to download.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2sggme9chwm2 ... s.zip?dl=0

Please use this link to access the CaLIGHTs Installer Files.zip file. Download this file(~200Mb) to your computer and extract the files in this zipfile into a folder on your computer. Doubleclick the CaLIGHTs setup.exe file to begin the installation. The installation is performed in two steps. The first is to install the LabVIEW 2019 Runtime Engine. Once this is complete the installer will load CaLIGHTs into your Program Files (x86) directory. Shortcuts are provided on your desktop and your windows menu to run CaLIGHTs.

This is the first time I have distributed a program in this way. Please be patient and if you have issues or suggestions please let me know. Be sure to review the help file that comes with CaLIGHTs. There is lots of useful information in there!

Clear Skies

Peter
Scopes:Celestron 8" EdgeHD + 0.7focal reducer, Skywatcher BK80ED +0.85 focal reducer
Software:Digicamcontrol, DSS, StarTools, Lightroom, CaLIGHTs(I am the author of CaLIGHTs)
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Post by pmwolsley »

CaLIGHTs Update.
I have now been able to encorporate Canon CR3 file format support. I also changed where the CaLIGHTs installer files are located on the web. Please look at the attached PDF document for a more detailed write-up and also the link to the latest installer files for CaLIGHTs.

Oh....I forgot to mention....CaLIGHTs is now FREE! No License to maintain...no expiry date.

Peter
P.S. I am a member of Hamilton Amateur Astronomers and the attachment is a notice I submitted for their May Newsletter (Event Horizon)
Attachments
CaLIGHTs Update.pdf
(607.62 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Post by pmwolsley »

Hello fellow amateur astrophotographers

I have put together a program that calibrates astrophotography images using a technique I developed over the past few years. My program is intended to help beginner astrophotographers learn and begin using master DARK, BIAS, FLAT and DARKFLAT frames. My technique uses DARK frame optimization which is a real game-changer because it all but eliminates the need to generate a huge library of master DARKs for each ISO/Exposure/Temperature. I also don't need to use dithering with my guiding which gives me a very simple method to follow. Astrophotography is a very complicated hobby so I am always looking for "KISS" methods that give me consistent results.

Just this week I have released a new version that now has support for the Canon CR3 file format. This is based upon the latest development library of LibRAW. I am a member of the Hamilton Amateur Astronomers and I put together a PDF document which they will be including in their May issue of the Event Horizon. I have attached it here so you can read a little more about my program.

The other big news about my program is that I decided to offer it for FREE!...no license to purchase...no expiry date. If you find that CaLIGHTs has helped you there is a Paypal Donation link provided in the programs HELP file.

The attached PDF document also has a link at the bottom of the document where you can download the latest version of CaLIGHTs.

Clear Skies

Peter Wolsley
Quilting Mouse Technologies
Attachments
CaLIGHTs Update.pdf
(607.62 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
DentonKnifeworks
Earth Ambassador

Post by DentonKnifeworks »

I download the program and when I use the MasterFlat I get the Camera Profile extracted form MaterFlat Gain-0 10.o sec does not agree with the master camera profile This file will not be used.
The serial Number shows N/A in Master Camera and blank in Profile from file the rest match.
Ideas?
Thanks
Brad
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Post by pmwolsley »

Brad,
I have made many changes since I first released the program. I believe I did catch and correct the problem you mentioned.

If you have questions you should consider using the CaLIGHTs forum https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/calights
There is also a link there for the most recent version of CaLIGHTs...it should contain the fix for your problem.

Thanks so much for trying my program and providing some feedback and I apologize for not getting back to you

Peter
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Post by pmwolsley »

Release notes
Rev 3.1.0.32
-Camera Profiles no longer include camera make, model or serial number. These parameters were not editable for DSLR users but they can be edited for astrocam users which could cause master DARKs, FLATs or BIAS to become invalid. New method should be backwards compatible so no need to redo your masters. CaLIGHTs uses the width and height of your images so to ensure compatibility do not bin your images as you take them (astrocam users specifically)…use CaLIGHTs to bin your calibrated images.

-For FITS files the program uses INSTRUM, INSTRUME and CAMERA to determine camera name. Program will concatenate values if multiple tags used. Program will only create INSTRUME tag for camera name in output files.

-Also found that N.I.N.A. uses only BZERO and assumes that BSCALE=1. Set default value for BSCALE=1.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/calights

Peter
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Post by pmwolsley »

New Version Released
Rev 3.1.0.32
-Camera Profiles no longer include camera make, model or serial number. These parameters were not editable for DSLR users but they can be edited for astrocam users which could cause master DARKs, FLATs or BIAS to become invalid. New method should be backwards compatible so no need to redo your masters. CaLIGHTs uses the width and height of your images so to ensure compatibility do not bin your images as you take them (astrocam users specifically)…use CaLIGHTs to bin your calibrated images.

-For FITS files the program uses INSTRUM, INSTRUME and CAMERA to determine camera name. Program will concatenate values if multiple tags used. Program will only create INSTRUME tag for camera name in output files.

-Also found that N.I.N.A. uses only BZERO and assumes that BSCALE=1. Set default value for BSCALE=1.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/calights

Peter
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Post by pmwolsley »

Bad weblink to zip files. June 6th, 2020

Very sorry for the confusion but somehow I ended up with a mish-mash of upper-case and lower-case letters in the zip file name for CaLIGHTs.

The proper link is http://home.quickclic.net/~pmwolsley/Ca ... 0setup.zip

I want to blame the word processor I was using but the more likely source is pilot error.

Peter
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Post by pmwolsley »

Bad weblink to zip files. June 6th, 2020

Very sorry for the confusion but somehow I ended up with a mish-mash of upper-case and lower-case letters in the zip file name for CaLIGHTs.

The proper link is http://home.quickclic.net/~pmwolsley/Ca ... 0setup.zip

I want to blame the word processor I was using but the more likely source is pilot error.

Peter