Shooting darks in the morning?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Shooting darks in the morning?

Post by Larry 1969 »

My imaging session ran long a few days ago and, by the time I woke up it was well into the morning.
I placed the end cap over my scope (the original cover provided by Orion for my 8" astrograph) and shot my darky.
Much to my lament, my darks looked like flats! Since the scope was covered, I can only assume I have a large light leak!

Was it just a beginners mistake shooting darks in the daylight or do I have an issue worth pursuing?

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Shooting darks in the morning?

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Larry,

I have also had the same issue with my refractor.

After I thought about it, no wonder that any tiny amount of light infiltrating the scope would really get enhanced at say iso 800 for 3-5 minutes would contaminate the heck out of the sensor.

I only shoot darks after the lights and with black trash bags over everything because I turn on the porch light to break down.

I guess that you could use the ice chest method to shoot the darks. Thanks
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Is there a reason why you didn't disconnect your camera to take your darks? If you have a permanent set up then I understand why but if you don't, I never take darks on my equipment during daylight. The camera always goes into a dark closet with the lens off and the camera cover on and I use an intervalometer to take my darks. if I need my darks to be temperature controlled then it actually goes into the refrigerator in a ziplock bag, intervalometer and all.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks for the replies!
That makes sense... I just shot them during the morning hours because the temperature was close enough.
I could use the refrigerator method I suppose... Just trying to maximize my time on target.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

To me, the most important frames are the lights and the flats. The darks and the bias can all be gotten and simulated later. So I don't waste night time on either of those unless I'm done for the evening and putting things away. But usually I'm too tired so I always put them off to the next day.

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

There is a lot of potential for light leaks in daylight. The dust cover is not intended to be light-proof. And there is a substantial gap around the mirror for ventilation, through which light can enter. Better to disconnect the camera, install its body cap and shoot darks that way.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

KathyNS wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:35 am There is a lot of potential for light leaks in daylight. The dust cover is not intended to be light-proof. And there is a substantial gap around the mirror for ventilation, through which light can enter. Better to disconnect the camera, install its body cap and shoot darks that way.
+1 on that! I seal off an interior room with opaque plastic, have the exterior lights off, and cover the camera with black-out cloth. The dark libraries I shoot go up to 30 minute exposures so I pull out the stops.

This, in spite of having previously shot some darks with black-out cloth over various parts of the camera, leaving some parts exposed to daylight, to determine if there were light leaks--none seen in ~5 min exposures.

2017_0718_DarkRoom.JPG
DMouse Canada
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DMouse »

Personally I shoot a set of darks and bias for a library about every 6 months. That way I can control, temp and darkness so I have a good library control set to use for processing. I have an astro shed, so shoot mine during cloudy or windy nights when I am not imaging. The only calibration frames I shoot on the night of imaging are flats.I even used to do this with my DSLR, by putting an ice block in a cooler bag and putting the camera in there. Using BYEOS to control and capture the images and sort out for average temp groups later on.

Clear Skies and good luck!
Website https://astro.bambury.ca Scope: Takahashi FSQ106DX4, Teleskop Service 12 inch Truss Tube RC -- Mount: Bisque PMX+ -- Camera: QHY268 mono, ATIK383L+ mono, SBIG STi, ZWO120mm-s, ZWO178MC
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

yes light can leak pretty good, filter wheels t adapters, you name it, it will find any nook and cranny, taking darks on the scope at night with a lense cap should be fine, make sure you do it on a cloudy night, i wouldn't recommend it at day time.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .