Sky glow... Leave it of delete?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Sky glow... Leave it of delete?

Post by Larry 1969 »

Hello all!
I spent all night on M106 and going through my subs I see the first 200 min or so the frames are quite a bit brighter than the last 270 min...
My question is: Should I toss all of that data or try to process out the sky glow?
I was too excited and got on target super early... Guess it wasn't quite "dark"...

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Sky glow... Leave it of delete?

Post by Star Dad »

I have a similar problem due to a neighbor's "on all night light" whenever my scope is pointed near it. I have taken to tossing those images when the delta noise level is quite visible. I tried using and and not using them and concluded I was better off with fewer subs - even though Nebulosity can normalize the images. The difference was quite striking. Your results may differ.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

I may try it both ways and see for myself...
It's a modded DSLR with no filters and by "sky glow" I mean daylight. Not artificial light. Like it just wasn't quite dark enough...

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
dritter
Moon Ambassador

Post by dritter »

I've run into that same thing when I start imaging before full astronomical darkness sets in. The initial images are certainly brighter than those taken later on.

As far as using those frames goes, I usually try processing both with them and without them. And there is no clear answer, or at least none that I could find. Sometimes the final product looks better without them, sometimes it's better with them.

The one thing that seems to help is getting more total time on target. If I get a few nights worth of data, then the final version seems to be about the same regardless of whether the brighter frames are included or not. It's when there is limited data, the results are less predictable.
Dave
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I run into this sort of thing quite frequently especially after shooting an object over several nights, moon phases, and time changes.

I flick through the frames using the 'Blink' module of PixInsight and cull out the ones with the washed out backgrounds. Then I will further cull the frames using PI's subframe selector script. Even if it only leaves me with only 5 or 6 frames.

The old saying "Garbage in, Garbage out" applies here.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

So, I went through the subs and tossed planes, satellites and other weirdness and ended up with 129 X 3 min subs.
All loaded into DSS with darks, flats and bias frames. I selected stack 100% of the frames but DSS decided to only stack 89...
Is there a way to know why so many frames were not stacked? It chose 89 and that includes frames from both sides of the meridian...

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Maybe it could not find a star match in a couple?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:55 am Maybe it could not find a star match in a couple?
Maybe... But that's 40 X 3 min frames dropped. Didn't look bad as I was going through them.
I even lowered the star detection threshold to 20% which showed over 200 stars...

Is there a way to know why certain frames were dropped?

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

You will have to wait for someone more familiar with DSS to help answer your questions. I am sorry.
Tom

Current Equipment:
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Larry,

What was your Star Detection Threshold set at? You may want to decrease your current number. So just setting the use amount to 100% doesn't mean it will actually use 100%. Yeah, I know that sounds weird!

From the DSS manual:

Star detection: For each picture, DeepSkyStacker will attempt to automatically detect the stars. In simple terms, DeepSkyStacker considers that a star is a round object whose luminance decreases regularly is every direction, and whose radius is no more than 50 pixels. Note that DeepSkyStacker will reject elongated star images which might occur if your mount isn't tracking correctly. Once the star is detected its exact center is computed by fitting a Gaussian curve to the luminance.

DeepSkyStacker will only stack images that contain at least eight stars that are common between all light frames. In practice, this means that you should set the Star Detection Threshold in the Settings.../Register Settings or Register checked pictures/Register Settings/Advanced dialogue so that DeepSkyStacker detects 20 or more stars to stand a good chance of finding eight stars in common between all light frames.

Additionally:

You can modify this threshold in the Advanced tab of the "Register checked pictures/Register Settings" dialog, or by selecting Settings.../Register Settings.
Reducing the Star Detection Threshold will result in DeepSkyStacker finding more (fainter) stars, on the other hand, if you increase the threshold, then only brighter stars will be detected and so this will reduce the number found.

Setting the threshold so low that many hundreds of stars are found will be counter-productive as there will be much more data to process for star registration and if too many stars are detected there is a greater chance of mis-registration. You should probably aim for over 20-25 stars and no more than a couple of hundred or so.

If you have set the detection threshold low and DeepSkyStacker is still not finding enough stars because the image is underexposed, you can increase the image brightness by using the "Brightness" adjustment in the Raw/FITS DDP Settings.

If your images are noisy (as a result (e.g.) of Light Pollution) you may need to enable the "Reduce the noise by using a Median Filter" option.

To help you find the best threshold for your light frames you can compute the number of stars that will be detected. To do this, DeepSkyStacker uses the first checked light frame and temporarily activates hot pixel detection.

You should note that this number is only a guide and that the real number of detected stars may vary if you have checked dark, offset and flat frames.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Checking the detection threshold is a good place to look when all the subs aren't included in the stack.

On the subject of light backgrounds, I can only offer my experience. I got better results from my recent M81/M82 image when I dropped the first 10 subs of the night from the stack. I did start a little early, and the rest of the dropped subs were light as a result of Ursa Major climbing out of the light dome of Hartford. Every situation is different and you should experiment with different combinations, in this case it was worth dropping a few of the early subs to get better results.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

JayTee: Thanks! I normally set the star detection threshold so that it detects somewhere around 100 stars. I'll try lowering it and see what happens.
I used to get this problem when imaging with my dob because of the star trailing but these are 3 min guided subs...

Bob: Thanks! I plan to experiment a bit once I get the stacking sorted. It's dropping 40 frames and I can't tell which ones. I can't change anything until I know what's actually being stacked.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry - if you scroll to the right in the file list in DSS, there is a column that lists the number of stars detected in each light sub. Take a look and see if any of those numbers are 0. Lowering the detection threshold will increase the number of stars detected overall.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks again Bob!
I didn't realize that but I went ahead and lowered the SD threshold to 12% and it detected 320 stars and all 129 images stacked.
Now I can play with the results!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C