Comet Processing Tips and questions?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Comet Processing Tips and questions?

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

I am just wondering if anyone has some god tips on processing comets. I recently captured The Atlas comet and tried stacking it in DSS in Comet mode. Right now the current program I have access to is DSS, Astro Pixel Processor and Photoshop

Now the results came out ok, I am able to isolate the stars with the first option checked (Comet will be fuzzy thing), and able isolate the comet with the second option checked (Focus on Comet thing). Now the third option tries to keep the stars the way they should be and the comet brought out good.

But when using that third option, I can see the comet clear and the stars improved from trailing but has annoying trailing the more it is tretched.

I m using the 1600mm with RGB filters and took two sets of images. 1 was about an hour of taking each channel, Rotating about 5 exposures of each

My exposure times were
Red 85sec gain 150
Green 40 sec 150 Gain
Blue 40 Sec 150 Gain

And for second commet capture
Red 85 sec 150 gain
Green 75 sec 76 Gain
Blue 75 sec 76 Gain

I took a total of about 25 frames for my 1st session and then the same for the 2nd session which was about 2 hour after due to clouds. I think of the two pictures below, that they are from each session I did.

Here is rough draft that I started working on. I just combined the 3 RGB channels and did some Levels and Curves (but not much and did not balance out colors yet. You can see where

Image of comet with Stars still and comet blurred rough draft just processed a little

Thanks
:)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/