Can you have too many images to stack?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Can you have too many images to stack?

Post by maceemiller »

Hi all.

Just a quick question. I've 294 X 1 second images of the Orion nebula taken at 800 ISO on my DSLR taken at 200mm (I've no tracking on my mount) I also have 20 dark, bias and flat frames.

I've tried various stacking settings on Sequator yet each time the result seems blown out and false looking. Each individual light frame though looks good with the 4 main nebula stars nice and sharp and the actual nebula there but dim, which I expect.

I did try with DSS yet half way through it crashed......

Is it my stacking settings that are wrong or have I simply added too many images?

Thankyou in advance, Carl
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Can you have too many images to stack?

Post by yobbo89 »

I can't totally say, but it takes me like 10 mins to stack 50 - 60 frames and that's a dreadfull time, i stick with longer exposures with few frames. A frame on average is about 32mb? So x 294 is about 9-10gb of data. You should look into a diy barn door tracker for your camera, you just need. Some wood, a bolt, dc motor and a few other things.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

yobbo89 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:07 am I can't totally say, but it takes me like 10 mins to stack 50 - 60 frames and that's a dreadfull time, i stick with longer exposures with few frames. A frame on average is about 32mb? So x 294 is about 9-10gb of data. You should look into a diy barn door tracker for your camera, you just need. Some wood, a bolt, dc motor and a few other things.
My RAWS come in at about 7mb per image. Sequator takes nearly 11 minutes to stack all the frames. I just cant understand why it looks too overexposed.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Could you upload a hand full of raw files.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

yobbo89 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:13 am Could you upload a hand full of raw files.
I will when I get in from work