Astrophotography Lab - A Limited Overview

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Astrophotography Lab - A Limited Overview

Post by UlteriorModem »

Just stumbled into this. Looks very interesting.

Since I am stuck with at least a week or two of overcast skies I will have to give this a try. It will be interesting to compare actual real world results to manufacturers claims.

As to the saturated image, no problem I have a few frames with Altinak in them :D

Anyhow thanks for doiing this.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

This is amazing stuff if I am interpreting it correctly.

I remember all of the discussion in the past few months about flats. I thought I was getting pretty decent results using mid histogram flats with my dslr.

I just turned down the brightness on my ipad, t-shirted the scope and started shooting flats at different exposure times.

At 0.4 seconds (1/2.5) my mean ADU was 7617. At 0.5 seconds (1/2), my mean ADU was 9448

Selecting just the white of Alnitak in a light frame, I saw an ADU of 16383. I guess that I should start shooting flats at about 0.4 seconds given the same brightness level. Huge difference from the 1/40 - 1/80 sec I was shooting before!

I know that a bunch of you went through all of this before. Sorry for coming late to the party!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Jim,

I'm very curious why you think you need to use the saturated star's ADU value and not the sensor max linear full well capacity ADU value?

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Ugh, of course I have to be the one with problems.

When I first went to execute the program Windows defender intercepted. I chose 'run anyways' and well..

Imageerror 1 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

ImageError 2 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Log File:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AlZYjAen8Osp-ACywBo ... u?e=yqCcJo
Tom

Current Equipment:
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 pm Ugh, of course I have to be the one with problems.
Sorry you are having problems. Hope they get resolved soon.

frajanssen wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 am Hello,
Perhaps a stupid question: how to take a saturated sample?

François
HI Francois - I use a light tablet pressed up against the front of my telescope/camera combination and took about a 5 sec exposure with the light up medium bright. I checked the level of the pixel signals using PixInsight, and, for this exposure almost all the pixels were saturated. You may need some processing program to make sure at least something in your image is saturated.

Juno16 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm This is amazing stuff if I am interpreting it correctly.

I remember all of the discussion in the past few months about flats. I thought I was getting pretty decent results using mid histogram flats with my dslr.

I just turned down the brightness on my ipad, t-shirted the scope and started shooting flats at different exposure times.

At 0.4 seconds (1/2.5) my mean ADU was 7617. At 0.5 seconds (1/2), my mean ADU was 9448

Selecting just the white of Alnitak in a light frame, I saw an ADU of 16383. I guess that I should start shooting flats at about 0.4 seconds given the same brightness level. Huge difference from the 1/40 - 1/80 sec I was shooting before!

I know that a bunch of you went through all of this before. Sorry for coming late to the party!

Jim
Your reasoning makes sense to me Jim.

JayTee wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:55 pm Jim,

I'm very curious why you think you need to use the saturated star's ADU value and not the sensor max linear full well capacity ADU value?

JT
Hi JT - If you look at my second picture in the original post, in the lower left box it shows White level 15310 ADU. The full well capacity ADU would be 16384. At least for my sensor (Canon DSLR) apparently full well only produces 15310 ADU even though the advertised value would be 16384. Not a big difference, but, the program simply measures the max ADU rather than assuming a value. I think that is why the program requests a Saturated frame.

Thanks all for the comments/questions.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

STEVE333 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:40 amHi JT - If you look at my second picture in the original post, in the lower-left box it shows White level 15310 ADU. The full well capacity ADU would be 16384. At least for my sensor (Canon DSLR) apparently full well only produces 15310 ADU even though the advertised value would be 16384. Not a big difference, but, the program simply measures the max ADU rather than assuming a value. I think that is why the program requests a Saturated frame.
Thank you Steve, I really appreciate your explanation. What it really tells me is that there can't help but be some confusion when we don't know if you are talking in 12, 14, or 16-bit depth and added on top of that that every sensor type/family/manufacturer will have a different Max ADU value. So we (myself included) need to be very careful that we are comparing apples to apples.

So now here's a blurb right out of the AP Lab QSG regarding the saturated frame and, to me, it throws a real "monkey in the wrench."
One saturated frame: Image something, and make sure some part of the image contains completely saturated pixels. Ordinary light frames will usually have saturated pixels. The saturated frame is only used to determine the white level.

If the saturated frame is only used to determine the "white level" where does it get the Max ADU value from? Or is the term white level synonymous with Max ADU? Also, this means that the entire frame does not need to be totally overexposed, just a portion of it. But once again this is only used to determine the white value.

Now I'm really confused,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JayTee wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:13 am
STEVE333 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:40 amHi JT - If you look at my second picture in the original post, in the lower-left box it shows White level 15310 ADU. The full well capacity ADU would be 16384. At least for my sensor (Canon DSLR) apparently full well only produces 15310 ADU even though the advertised value would be 16384. Not a big difference, but, the program simply measures the max ADU rather than assuming a value. I think that is why the program requests a Saturated frame.
Thank you Steve, I really appreciate your explanation. What it really tells me is that there can't help but be some confusion when we don't know if you are talking in 12, 14, or 16-bit depth and added on top of that that every sensor type/family/manufacturer will have a different Max ADU value. So we (myself included) need to be very careful that we are comparing apples to apples.

So now here's a blurb right out of the AP Lab QSG regarding the saturated frame and, to me, it throws a real "monkey in the wrench."
One saturated frame: Image something, and make sure some part of the image contains completely saturated pixels. Ordinary light frames will usually have saturated pixels. The saturated frame is only used to determine the white level.

If the saturated frame is only used to determine the "white level" where does it get the Max ADU value from? Or is the term white level synonymous with Max ADU? Also, this means that the entire frame does not need to be totally overexposed, just a portion of it. But once again this is only used to determine the white value.

Now I'm really confused,
JT
Ahhhhh, I just read your post JT. Ok, that is how the white level is determined. So, if you have a saturated star in the light frame or the saturated frame, the software knows the camera specs and calculated the full well adu of that camera sensor. The sensor white level is the camera sensor full well capacity ADU.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:40 am
Juno16 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm This is amazing stuff if I am interpreting it correctly.

Jim
Your reasoning makes sense to me Jim.
Thanks a bunch Steve!!!
Capture.JPG
The White Level in the Sensor box is my camera full well ADU! I am a bit slow to pick this up, but hopefully things are coming together.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi All - Because there has been so much discussion about Flats and exposures for Flats in the responses, I wanted to make sure that the use of Astrophotography Lab that I have presented is only for determining the proper exposure for Light frames, NOT Flats or Bias or Darks!!! Just wanted to make sure we are all "on the same page".

Thanks to all for the comments, suggestions, questions.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Steve & all - thank you for the info!

Curiosity on my part - is this what SharpCap is doing with the Smart Histogram feature?
I did a sensor analysis for the cameras, SC stored the data & when I start a session I point at a darker area of the sky & it will give me the "best exposure time"
It will not plot a curve to give the number of exposures to take - # of exposures is calculated by user input of total time on the target.
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 am Hi All - Because there has been so much discussion about Flats and exposures for Flats in the responses, I wanted to make sure that the use of Astrophotography Lab that I have presented is only for determining the proper exposure for Light frames, NOT Flats or Bias or Darks!!! Just wanted to make sure we are all "on the same page".

Thanks to all for the comments, suggestions, questions.

Steve
Sorry Steve, I am a big contributor to the flats discussion. Yes, proper exposure for light frames is the goal. Thanks for all of your contributions to this thread.

Jim
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

SKEtrip wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:39 am Steve & all - thank you for the info!

Curiosity on my part - is this what SharpCap is doing with the Smart Histogram feature?
I did a sensor analysis for the cameras, SC stored the data & when I start a session I point at a darker area of the sky & it will give me the "best exposure time"
It will not plot a curve to give the number of exposures to take - # of exposures is calculated by user input of total time on the target.

I haven't used SharpCap, so, can't help you there.

There really isn't a "best # of exposures to take" unless you want to accept the answer of MORE. More is always better.

The analysis I presented works for one location, i.e., one LP condition. I always shoot from my driveway, so, my LP is always the same. If one goes to a dark site, then, an image taken from the dark site would be required as the "Light" frame to determine the proper graph for that location. Since the Dark site has lower LP noise the knee of the curve would move toward longer sub exposure times.

Steve
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

STEVE333 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:55 am
SKEtrip wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:39 am Steve & all - thank you for the info!

I haven't used SharpCap, so, can't help you there.

There really isn't a "best # of exposures to take" unless you want to accept the answer of MORE. More is always better.

The analysis I presented works for one location, i.e., one LP condition. I always shoot from my driveway, so, my LP is always the same. If one goes to a dark site, then, an image taken from the dark site would be required as the "Light" frame to determine the proper graph for that location. Since the Dark site has lower LP noise the knee of the curve would move toward longer sub exposure times.

Steve
The SC program requires a sensor analysis - also done in SC then develops best exposure times based on the sky that night. Link:
https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/fea ... -histogram
Downside is it only comes with the SC pro license - you found free!
And I'm with ya, more is always better
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

SKEtrip wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:17 am The SC program requires a sensor analysis - also done in SC then develops best exposure times based on the sky that night. Link:
https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/fea ... -histogram
Downside is it only comes with the SC pro license - you found free!
And I'm with ya, more is always better

From your description it sounds like that is exactly what they are doing.

One thing the analysis I presented doesn't take into account is the "lost time" between images. My system takes about 1 min to download the image and perform dithering, complete with settling time, before starting the next image. When I take longer exposures there will be fewer of them, so, less "lost time" in between images.

FYI, longer exposures never hurt, so, any exposure time up in the flat portion of the curve will yield equivalent results. When in doubt, go to the longer exposure.

Glad this may be of use to you.

Cheers,

Steve
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

This is as far as i got, it didn't work.. :sigh:
Attachments
sensore data.png
astrolab test 2.png
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 pm This is as far as i got, it didn't work.. :sigh:

Sorry you are having problems. I sometimes find the program a little "touchy", but, the results are worth it.

A couple questions:
1) What camera are you using (mono, color, etc.)?
2) Did you try following the full tutorial I posted? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6323

If following my tutorial doesn't help your problem, you can contact the programs author at: ap_lab@outlook.com

Feel free to ask any other questions (I am retired), and, please let me know if it works for you.

By the way, your telescope looks like a beauty. 12" f/4, wow. Congratulations.

Steve
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

The camera i have is not on the list, i had to enter the specs in , using a mono asi1600-mm-c, i followed your description in the first post. i'm using astro lab version 0.4.2 instead of the 0.4.1 as seen in your tutorial.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

STEVE333 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 pm This is as far as i got, it didn't work.. :sigh:

By the way, your telescope looks like a beauty. 12" f/4, wow. Congratulations.

Steve

yes, she's expensive to move/track and expensive to correct coma :crying-yellow:

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

[/quote]

Sorry you are having problems. I sometimes find the program a little "touchy", but, the results are worth it.

If following my tutorial doesn't help your problem, you can contact the programs author at: ap_lab@outlook.com

Feel free to ask any other questions (I am retired), and, please let me know if it works for you.

Steve
[/quote]

Oh! somehow I was under the impression that you were the author. My mistake. I frankly was a little taken back at your response of "Hope you get our problem sorted out". My mistake.

The ONLY way to contact him is by email?

No one else has run into a false positive with the install?
Tom

Current Equipment:
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

ok, i have it working, the sky glow in my area is 19.07, i guess the info shows 21.9 because of the lp blocking of ha filter. :confusion-shrug:

yes you get to a point where the final image does not improve much from excessive exposure lengths because of the background/lp, doing longer subs gives you the benefit of not having to deal with 100+ frames to stack..
Attachments
astrolab snr.png
astrolab graph.png