Pixinsight, update rant!

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Pixinsight, update rant!

Post by UlteriorModem »

So I ran into a few 'glitches' in PI that allegedly have been corrected in more recent versions. I had not updated since May of last year.

Evidently the new update requires you to download the complete package from their website. Fine. But good lord 1 hour and 50 minutes to download!? I download full retail versions of 'big' games from steam in less time than that!

Don't dare minimize the browser and go off and do something else the download will hang and you have to start all over again. No resume possible. There has got to be a better way!

Grumble :asleep:
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Pixinsight, update rant!

Post by Stuart »

Hey Tom, Could something be wrong with your internet connection? It took me just a minute or two to download my copy. Don't forget to uninstall the previous version.
Also, if you have any extra scripts, like GAME or PSFimage, make sure to save them in a separate folder.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Yea I have a pretty good connection. I think their server is either swamped or the hamsters need fed!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I just downloaded the update for Mac and it came as fast as my download speed at 120Mbps.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

It took about 45 minutes for me all told. The 'estimate' was a little conservative. But yea dont minimize the browser, dont run other apps as there is a good chance it will stall. If it stalls your screwed. You will have to start over as there is no resume.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

I went on the website yesterday, and you're right, it was slow. They must be having server issues.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.